Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dilemma87

Our First Journey (5Rm Bto)

Like every reno blog tradition, here is our floorplan.

floorplan.jpg

As soon as we got our keys, we search for ID/Contractors. We understand some of them the price difference is not that much so we decide to search for whoever is able to meet our requirements and most importantly our budget.

Here are the list that we approach not that many as some but still just as tiring

1. D'trenzo - we went to talk to this young chap and I believe he is too new in the industry a lot of things he is unsure of. And because we did quite a bit of research on materials, it seemed that we know more than him. Furtheremore, he didnt come back to us with a quotation so OUT.

2. Omus Living - we heard quite a lot of good things online about this company. We too are impressed with the way the company works and the ideas that was bounced off and he is very attentive to our needs. However it is over and beyond our budget. so OUT. (if you do have the $$$ try this company)

3. Classic & ideas - we heard many good feedback about the company & this particular ID. Sadly, our first meeting he only set aside 1 hour and the rest of the time we were talking to his assistant. Well his assistant is a nice chap and understand what we want. However when its time to give us the quotation they keep delaying and keep telling us tomorrow the next day and so on but well tomorrow never comes do they? so OUT.

4. UBS - recommended by our friend. He is super friendly and he is willing to explain everything in detail to us even though we repeat a few times the same issues (he super patient). we can a bit long-winded. His quotation also come within a week and also within our budget. (Pending)

5. North west interior - recommended by a friend. He is a friendly guy who listen to us and understand our requirements. Within less than a week we received our quote with detailed drawing. Impressive. He also quote within our budget. (Pending).

Edited by dilemma87

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After nearly 2 weeks of contemplating between the 2 company I decided to go with UBS because I believe contractor is easier to communicate than an interior designer because he is more aware of the measurements and stuff. This is my personal view and based on gut feeling :)

Our empty canvas

Living room

IMG-20140530-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20140530-WA0058.jpg

Walkway to rooms

IMG-20140530-WA0059.jpg

Kitchen

IMG-20140530-WA0056.jpg

Common Toilet

IMG-20140530-WA0060.jpg

MBR

IMG-20140530-WA0055.jpg

when i first saw the house I was excited the living room was huge till my husband remind me that is suppose to be our study room combined. Disappointed with the size of the rooms. There goes my dream walk-in wardrobe. Even the kitchen is small compared to normal old hdb standard.

Edited by dilemma87

Some advice

1. Check for all defects carefully. Don't do it in a day, try doing it within a few days don't have to rush because of excitement of getting new house. We didn't start our renovation immediately, we did after 3 months. Within this months, we found more defects.

2. Check the water pressure make sure you switch on both toilet taps at the same time to check the pressure. This is because I understand sometimes one toilet pressure is fine but the other is slower.

3. Check all the walls make sure there is no cracks. Some cracks appeared later because of renovation from other units.

4. Don't forget to test all the windows make sure that it can be open and close smoothly.

5. If you opt for hdb tiles (which I didnt but I understand from my neighbour) you have to check each and every tiles carefully.

We decided to come out with basic layout on our own. Give us some idea where we want to place items. The most complicated room is the kitchen. We want a kitchen that can last us for a very long time. Our requirement for the kitchen have to be durable and we do not want to have a build-in oven. I want a kitchen that is easy to maintain too.

For the master room, we need a big wardrobe. I have to drop the idea of walk-in wardrobe because of lack of space. I know of some ID who proposed a divider but its not applicable to our lifestyle.

Since we can't hack the toilet due to waterproofing and warranty will be void (hdb policy) we decided not to touch much and also not to overlay because I believe it make the toilet look "thicker".

As for the study room we decided to leave it open, in case of function we got the big space to accommodate our family member.

We also decide not to put any false ceiling as we don't want the room to look shorter.

No to ceiling fan too because I cant stand the flickering and the wind direction is within the diameter of the fan blade.

photo.PNG.jpeg

Edited by dilemma87

First thing we did was to apply cement screed from hdb because it suppose to be free. However it is only free up to 50mm thick. Due to the uneven flooring of our unit, we need to top up $500. My husband didn't like the slope his reasoning was when they wash the area water may sip in to our house. He decided to cut the slope.

Before the cut:

photo+5.JPG

After the cut:

photo+2.JPG

The start of renovation:

We decided to remove the window pane to make the kitchen look bigger

IMG-20140530-WA0037.jpg

We hacked part of the kitchen entrance because I feel like the kitchen is isolated from the living room because of the design of the house. At the same time I think a bigger opening will make it look nicer.

photo+2.JPG

After reading through many post in renotalk, we decided to have our aircon trunking outside the room. The reason why we do not want to run it inside the room because it will be hidden in the wardrobe. If there is water leakage there will be problem although it look better. We also did not put any aircon in the living room the reason is I think the room is too big and it wont be cooling enough. Furthermore we are not planning to put any door in the kitchen.

photo-1.JPG

For the master room we also make sure we run the aircon trunking run properly for easy maintenance and look neater.

IMG-20140530-WA0032.jpg

Since we have no false ceiling, we decided to use contube casing.

IMG-20140530-WA0026.jpg

For the room

IMG-20140307-WA0007.jpg

Edited by dilemma87

@songz thank you..

@kjianhao yes i remove both sides & he is a contractor. Our personal view interior designer can give you good design but sometimes not pratical for daily usage. He also have design ideas and gives pratical suggestions which we like. He also listens to our needs and wants.

We are installing eubiq power track in the kitchen and study area. Since our kitchen is glass backing, we need to mark the places we want the power track to be.

photo+4.JPG

Our kitchen is taking shape. The top is quartz. I understand there is different sizes, the recommended size is 20mm. Some contractor/ID use different sizes so make sure you check it should be at least 20mm. We are also using blum system for all the drawers as we believed it will last longer. There is also other brands like hettich ( good for slidding doors ) but also just as expensive. However for all our casting door we are using in-house hinges because for hinges if you do read up not much difference. We learn where to splurge and where to save :)

photo+1.JPG

Under our sink we are putting cement base because in case of leakage it can last longer. More expensive but it is worth it, good investment.

• Like 1

For the flooring we engage on our own. We get the href flooring from Evorich. If you intend to get the same flooring, go to their expo booth. Every expo confirm they are there. Been going there for 1 year to survey for stuff and they are always there.

IMG-20140530-WA0002.jpg

Edited by dilemma87