Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bianzi

Self Designed House.. Project 2014

The journey of securing my 4 room resale flat started after I accompanied my fren on her house hunting trip in early Jan this year.

Was ''targeted'' :deal: by her agent and one month later, I managed to secure the OTP for a 4 room flat in the North east and hence started my lifetime liability for the next 25 years... :unsure:

Finally after waiting for almost 4 - 5 months, I finally got the keys to my flat in July....

Like most people here, I went to a couple of Ids to get quotes... but in the end, i decide to go for workmanship and decided to use a contractor for my renovation. His prices are ID prices... but since he is my fren's relative, i trust that I am in a pair of safe hands.

Well, it is still too early to tell now, but so far, the workmanship for the projects that he did was quite good..so i hope that mine will turn out fine...

the only con is that there is no 3d and basically i am designing this house myself..... trying to achieve a clean scandi (or modern mid century look) ... getting rather confused ... haha :wacko:

Oh i am doing getting an ID to do the carpentry for my kitchen, shoe cabinet and wardrobes.. cos my contractor's price for internal pvc is not very competitive and this is a must have for me :thumbs up:

Edited by bianzi

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The before reno pics... no need to tell me that the house is already very nice... i know.. cos 101 people already told me that....(even the Aircon man told me that) arghhh but then again... i don't really like modern theme and also hate maintenance of open concept kitchen ... so all have the go! :curse:

74648E41-BD9A-4BF2-8E2B-F166AEF6DB07_zps

0EC844DC-5404-4840-A2A6-5A3C1AD82DE3_zps

FC05825E-E34C-46AE-8322-8627F5FA7407_zps

416DE0FF-8005-45A7-80D5-0FA6F3153E64_zps

0036AE27-927D-4D8D-8164-1F907A028B1D_zps

Edited by bianzi

• Like 1

My first house purchase. A kitchen mixer from insani. Received the goods in good order. Satisfied as of now. Hope it works after installation.

I got the rest of the shower accessories from Heritage and sanitary wares from wasser bath.

483E921A-6C26-4394-8E09-E6D3348D2271_zps

My 60 inch big *** fan... i opt for white as the living room is not really that big...and having a black thing towering above me gives me a feeling of having a giant moth above me... :ph34r:

EAE61F9A-69FB-4598-9660-9F3E25D3D479_zps

My fav SONY brand tv.. I am a sucker for Sony products...

KDL-W800B_1-34ded_zps67973795.jpg

the only samsung product in my house as i could not afford a fisher .. lol

sg_RL4013UBASL-SS_523_Dynamic_silver_zps

Sonos play bar and subwoofer :notti:

PlayBar-and-Sub_fullwidth_zps09182cac.jp

Edited by bianzi

• Like 2

Picked an auspicious date 12 July to start the "dong tu" ceremony.
Confirmed with the contractor that they will start work on the 14th July.. So everything is planned..
Who knows, when I opened my door that morning, they already went in to do minor hacking and dismantling of the fixtures in the house!!!! Was super sian... Called the contractor and he acted like he was not aware of my dong tu ceremony !! Nevertheless what is done cannot be undone so I just went ahead with the ceremony... Hiccup #1

image_zpscd4135a8.jpg

This was what I saw when I stepped into the house..
2BAACFA7-2926-45F7-A04B-9D45E7FD715E_zps

On the same sat day, they came and lay the cardboard paper and removed my windows grilles in a flash.., need to action so fast meh??
Oh ya I decided to take away the grilles as well... ( this is the only part that i was a bit hesitant abt as it was still in ok condition, but i still prefer to be grille less... Which means $$$ off as I am considering to do a privacy solar film...

07958FEB-55A4-499A-BB50-4CFCFCB5E1C7_zps

4F7DD92B-2BAC-4035-A357-9E328A5B5244_zps

Edited by bianzi

Official day one - war zone mode :fire:

E8E84CF9-F880-4887-9614-7424861FC973_zps

148AAF2B-FC57-41BA-A5DC-A08B5B111D99_zps

Bomb shelter mirror feature wall gone. Not going to cover this as doing chalkboard paint on bomb shelter wall.. But wondering how to hide the wires...cos it was previously hidden behind the feature wall...

FEC948F7-AEA9-478B-83DD-F8ED21D9379E_zps

Took off one part of the existing false ceiling to make way for my 60 inch fan...(hope this fits as it is going to be like 30cm beside the 2 L box)
I had to design the false ceiling myself as not very satisfied with the contractor proposed design...
8ADC7140-9471-443B-BF28-2AE608206F23_zps

Day 3 hollow blocks ready for building up the kitchen wall
38934D21-820A-42D2-BC37-70585205B368_zps

My $750 worth of sand for kitchen flooring
FEB280E7-7AF4-460E-BDFC-B44AA1AED95C_zps

Edited by bianzi

Day 6 - hollow block up halfway.. Met with electrician to discuss lighting points... Have a feeling that it is going to cost me a bomb! Concealed cat 6 cables for 3 pts... He said cost add $200+ :blink: a point...
4284FF84-1B99-4E7D-A750-2460037958C8_zps

Day 10 - hollow block wall up and complete. Common toilet wall tiles up (why does it look like a public toilet?? ) :jawdrop:
D6779581-B77D-4EBB-9746-2384C8B62562_zps

BFD8E02B-C086-4B4F-A05C-8A017BD9FB16_zps

Day 12 - master bathroom.. The tiles on the rainshower wall are not symmetrical due to the fact that the shower area being extended outwards... I am really doubting my choice of tiles now...sigh

82E578AF-D4B9-4651-AF4A-4381AF94FF36_zps

Close up look... Lines like not flowing properly
5A12B617-3B7C-4255-B8DE-B5CA4B88EAE3_zps

Day 18 - not much updates
Suddenly slowing down...
:(Aircon piping done today and tomorrow... Toilet ledge with cement up... Toilet wall tiling completed..actually not completely done as they still need to do the grouting... else the lines are so ugly...

Toilet floor screed smooth for tiling..
11635220-B9BA-408A-8DC6-FFCC5EDACC06_zps

Edited by bianzi

The journey of securing my 4 room resale flat started after I accompanied my fren on her house hunting trip in early Jan this year.

the only con is that there is no 3d and basically i am designing this house myself..... trying to achieve a clean scandi (or modern mid century look) ... getting rather confused ... haha :wacko:

Congrats on getting your own loft and starting the blog.

There is no con about having no 3D. Most 3D cost money and delay the reno.

Imagine waiting 2 weeks just for drawings which you may not like afterall.

Some need deposit to start 3D only to realize not the right ID and forfeit the deposit.

So brace up and enjoy the journey. :good:

• Like 1

Hiccup #2

As i have a very small kitchen cum dining space planning is quite challenging on my kitchen layout.
Being a first time owner, generally I am very excited abt my house purchases.
I bought my sink a month back and sent the specifications to my contractor. Let's call him C..
It was a double bowl sink measuring 83cm in length.

As I was expecting delivery this weekend, i went and confirm the measurements again with c.
And he was like huh u bought such a big sink? The countertop reserved for the sink was only 80cm.. :curse:

Looks like I need to get this changed to a single bowl instead.
I really dunno if all contractors are so forgetful or they just ignore stuff sent over whatsapp or maybe I bombarded him with too many pics? Another super sian hiccup. :help:

I have delayed the delivery to next week and ask him to do that exact measurement after the construction of the hollow block wall.

Update: C just called to say I can only get a sink below 70 cm! That leaves me with the only choice of the single bowl 65cm sink from wasser bath... Not sure if it will be too small for washing

Edited by bianzi

• Like 1

This look like a 5-6 years old place.. Are you doing a major rehaul of the place? One thing i like about new flats is the conceal wirings... But didnt manage to look for one myself... :)

Edited by binzz

• Like 1

Things to be done
1. Kitchen overhaul - flooring wall tiling carpentry wall building, black aluminium frame windows and door (still deciding on the design ... :unsure:
2. Toilets overhaul - hacking and redoing all
3. False ceiling for living room
4. Master bedroom wardrobes
5. Shoe cabinets
6. Polishing of parquet floor
7. Overused Craftbrick wall, but I still like =)
8. Tv console - still deciding if I shd do a wall mount or free standing
9. Aircon change
10. Storage heater - decided against gas as can't take the ugly piping

Good luck for the Renovation.
Any specifics which you will be doing ?

Edited by bianzi

Yes this is a pretty new BTO..

This look like a 5-6 years old place.. Are you doing a major rehaul of the place? One thing i like about new flats is the conceal wirings... But didnt manage to look for one myself... :)

Hello bianzi,

You have started your own t-blog! All the best and wishing you smooth renovation ahead :)

• Like 1