Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lovescandi

Ideal Scandinavian 4Rm Bto In Anchorvale

Hello guys,

After patiently waiting for 3 years, I've just finally collected keys to my 4 room premium BTO!!

Decided to start this t-blog to share my scandinavian renovation works with everyone as I'll like to contribute back to homeowners since I've been a quiet reader for the past one year. T-blog has been really 'educational' to me in terms of tips and tricks as well as contacts thus I'd hope what I will be sharing would contribute to those who are renovating their home or getting keys to their new place!

Anyway, here's my floor plan for reference:

gallery_62588_461_27247.jpg

My scandinavian design which I will be having are inspired during my stay in Denmark. During my stay there, I was influenced by the danish way of life, how their designs were clean and timeless as well as functional. I love everything scandinavian and my place would only be made of four colour scheme - which is white, brown, grey and black.

gallery_62588_461_26688.jpggallery_62588_461_20784.jpggallery_62588_461_25698.jpggallery_62588_461_18664.jpggallery_62588_461_28248.jpg

Edited by lovescandi

• Like 4

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

More inspirations ...

gallery_62588_461_1824.jpggallery_62588_461_6252.jpggallery_62588_461_40691.jpg

Anyway, the search for the perfect ID/ contractor was indeed no easy task. I started out about 6-12 months ago, casually making appointments with all the big and small ID firms, as well as recommendations by renotalk people such as Contractor K.

Noticed that the very branded ID firms such as Chew Interior hires various 'supposedly' ID to serve however upon sitting down and sharing our scandinavian ideas and designs, the ID serving me actually has no idea what is scandinavian and showed a whole lot of other modern, resort designs to me. He also wasn't keen to listen and cater to what we wanted and kept pushing for what he thought was perfect for us. After talking to him for half an hour, we gave up and left the place however he kept calling us up after that to tell us he's really excited and keen to do our home even though we told him we were not keen.

Infact, I met many of such IDs who wasn't sure of exactly what we wanted and matching it to our expectations. With some knowledge and research, some tried to smoke their way through to getting us sign our ID contract, some simply blatantly was too pushy and ignorant.

Met with Contractor K as well and he's really nice like what everyone shared. He's experienced and friendly however his quotation was on par with reputable IDs we met thus we decided to drop him out.

One of the deepest impression I got was from Free Space Intent. If you have the budget, I say go with them cause they are really patient, experienced and very very helpful, accommodating however their quotation was on the high side as well. If I had a little more budget, I would go with them.

To be honest, up till today after getting my keys, I haven't signed with any IDs because we weren't comfortable to sign a contract way too early, unlike our neighbours. We realised that many people typically sign their IDs way in advance however from experience, some had regrets as they realised there was better IDs or cheaper options. We didn't want to be in the position of not having any options and getting stucked with the same ID so we decided to finally shortlist an ID which we are most comfortable with - to come to our place this weekend, take actual measurements and revise his quote with us before we sign it.

One reason why we are taking our time to sign was because previously when we were getting married, we signed for a bridal package way in advance, paying $3K deposit only to find out months before our wedding that the bridal went bankrupt and closed down. They say, once bitten twice shy so better to be safe than sorry now :)

Lastly, more updates on my purchases this weekend once I get them! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and my joy in building the first home!

Edited by lovescandi

• Like 1

More inspirations ...

gallery_62588_461_1824.jpggallery_62588_461_6252.jpggallery_62588_461_40691.jpg

Anyway, the search for the perfect ID/ contractor was indeed no easy task. I started out about 6-12 months ago, casually making appointments with all the big and small ID firms, as well as recommendations by renotalk people such as Contractor K.

Noticed that the very branded ID firms such as Chew Interior hires various 'supposedly' ID to serve however upon sitting down and sharing our scandinavian ideas and designs, the ID serving me actually has no idea what is scandinavian and showed a whole lot of other modern, resort designs to me. He also wasn't keen to listen and cater to what we wanted and kept pushing for what he thought was perfect for us. After talking to him for half an hour, we gave up and left the place however he kept calling us up after that to tell us he's really excited and keen to do our home even though we told him we were not keen.

Infact, I met many of such IDs who wasn't sure of exactly what we wanted and matching it to our expectations. With some knowledge and research, some tried to smoke their way through to getting us sign our ID contract, some simply blatantly was too pushy and ignorant.

Met with Contractor K as well and he's really nice like what everyone shared. He's experienced and friendly however his quotation was on par with reputable IDs we met thus we decided to drop him out.

One of the deepest impression I got was from Free Space Intent. If you have the budget, I say go with them cause they are really patient, experienced and very very helpful, accommodating however their quotation was on the high side as well. If I had a little more budget, I would go with them.

To be honest, up till today after getting my keys, I haven't signed with any IDs because we weren't comfortable to sign a contract way too early, unlike our neighbours. We realised that many people typically sign their IDs way in advance however from experience, some had regrets as they realised there was better IDs or cheaper options. We didn't want to be in the position of not having any options and getting stucked with the same ID so we decided to finally shortlist an ID which we are most comfortable with - to come to our place this weekend, take actual measurements and revise his quote with us before we sign it.

One reason why we are taking our time to sign was because previously when we were getting married, we signed for a bridal package way in advance, paying $3K deposit only to find out months before our wedding that the bridal went bankrupt and closed down. They say, once bitten twice shy so better to be safe than sorry now :)

Lastly, more updates on my purchases this weekend once I get them! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and my joy in building the first home!

Welcome! Yay for Scandinavian! Nice pics. Yes totally agree about signing packages early, we are very wary of that as well. Don't mind me asking... quite curious, i presume you never got back your bridal package deposit ? :'(

Welcome to Renotalk! :)

Thanks Troublemaker! I'm excited!

Welcome! Yay for Scandinavian! Nice pics. Yes totally agree about signing packages early, we are very wary of that as well. Don't mind me asking... quite curious, i presume you never got back your bridal package deposit ? :'(

Hi Nickguthe,

Thanks for welcoming! Nope we never got our deposit back even though we had the contact of the bridal owner. When I called her she simply brushed us off and after checking with different authorities, it was way too troublesome to get back any money. Well, I learnt thereafter never to sign up any packages and putting in too much deposit in advance (including spa, facial, manicure) :jammin:

Thanks to much recommendations from renotalk and other forums, I’ve decided to take a big step to travelling to Malaysia, Johor to purchase my ceiling fans and standing fans.

Ceiling fans are very vital to homes / HDBs these days to to space constraint on the floor (you wouldn’t want a standing fan to take up your already very small space) plus its aesthetically nicer to have ceiling fan for ventilation.

I’m indeed particular about both fan design as well as how much wind it can generate. There are some fans that looks really really nice, but does not generate as much wind thus it defeats the purpose. To find out more on which fans generate more or less wind, check with the sales person and get them to explain to you the difference between AC and DC motors which ceiling fans use for power since I’m no expert as well.

Much thanks to a really good friend who guided us there, we pocketed huge savings buying fans at more than 50% discount for some brands / models.

Eventually, I purchased a Elmark ceiling fan for my living hall, 2 Ventos Fino Oak fan for the bedrooms, 1 KDK standing fan and 1 Joven 25 litre water storage heater. Didn’t get any bathroom accessories or lights as I didn’t think it was much cheaper.

TAMPOI LIGHTING CENTRE

2, 4 & 6, Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1, Taman Tampoi Indah, Johor Bahru, 81200
Johor Bahru, Johor, 81200, Malaysia +60 7-241 8999
Business hours:
Mon – Sat: 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm

Please take note of parking at Tampoi as there might be no or very little carpark lots. My friend and I (2 cars) was oblivious and parked beside Tampoi. Eventually we got a parking ticket when we finished our shopping icon_sad.gif

Here’s Tampoi, a big building in yellow you can’t miss. You need to turn left from the main road to get here.

20140717_113129-575x1024.jpg

They’ve got several brands of fans stocked up including KDK, Elmark, Ventos etc

20140717_121653-575x1024.jpg

One of the newer 9 blades Elmark Fans on display

20140717_114439.jpg

20140717_114221.jpg

Edited by lovescandi

Additional unexpected purchase was Joven water storage heater which I got at RM500, $40 cheaper than Singapore.

Joven.jpg

And Ventos Fino Fan for my bedrooms at RM580 only, half price of Singapore’s price :thumbs up:

fino_oak_3Db__22284_zoom.jpg

Conclusion:

Yes, the 30 min drive up was worth it to purchase your ceiling fans, standing fans and bag home your Joven water heater :good::good::good:

Edited by lovescandi

How many litres was the joven heater? I got my 25litres in Singapore for $230

Additional unexpected purchase was Joven water storage heater which I got at RM500, $40 cheaper than Singapore.

Joven.jpg

And Ventos Fino Fan for my bedrooms at RM580 only, half price of Singapores price :thumbs up:

fino_oak_3Db__22284_zoom.jpg

Conclusion:

Yes, the 30 min drive up was worth it to purchase your ceiling fans, standing fans and bag home your Joven water heater :good::good::good:

Thanks to much recommendations from renotalk and other forums, Ive decided to take a big step to travelling to Malaysia, Johor to purchase my ceiling fans and standing fans.

Ceiling fans are very vital to homes / HDBs these days to to space constraint on the floor (you wouldnt want a standing fan to take up your already very small space) plus its aesthetically nicer to have ceiling fan for ventilation.

Im indeed particular about both fan design as well as how much wind it can generate. There are some fans that looks really really nice, but does not generate as much wind thus it defeats the purpose. To find out more on which fans generate more or less wind, check with the sales person and get them to explain to you the difference between AC and DC motors which ceiling fans use for power since Im no expert as well.

Much thanks to a really good friend who guided us there, we pocketed huge savings buying fans at more than 50% discount for some brands / models.

Eventually, I purchased a Elmark ceiling fan for my living hall, 2 Ventos Fino Oak fan for the bedrooms, 1 KDK standing fan and 1 Joven 25 litre water storage heater. Didnt get any bathroom accessories or lights as I didnt think it was much cheaper.

TAMPOI LIGHTING CENTRE

2, 4 & 6, Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1, Taman Tampoi Indah, Johor Bahru, 81200

Johor Bahru, Johor, 81200, Malaysia +60 7-241 8999

Business hours:

Mon Sat: 10:00 am 9:00 pm

Sun: 11:00 am 9:00 pm

Please take note of parking at Tampoi as there might be no or very little carpark lots. My friend and I (2 cars) was oblivious and parked beside Tampoi. Eventually we got a parking ticket when we finished our shopping icon_sad.gif

Heres Tampoi, a big building in yellow you cant miss. You need to turn left from the main road to get here.

20140717_113129-575x1024.jpg

Theyve got several brands of fans stocked up including KDK, Elmark, Ventos etc

20140717_121653-575x1024.jpg

One of the newer 9 blades Elmark Fans on display

20140717_114439.jpg

20140717_114221.jpg

Hello lovescandi! What model is the 3 blade fan and how much was it?

• Like 1

Did you declare gst? As each person only allows $150 for the customs.

Hi Ebo, I declared GST at customs upon coming back :jawdrop:

Hello lovescandi! What model is the 3 blade fan and how much was it?

Hi Hellonub, the model of 3 blade fan is elmark and i bought that! Its about 1180ringgit if I rem correctly :sport-smiley-003:

How many litres was the joven heater? I got my 25litres in Singapore for $230

Hi Bianzi, the 25litres was 500ringgit :good:

Hello guys,

After patiently waiting for 3 years, I've just finally collected keys to my 4 room premium BTO!!

Welcome to RT!

So you have yet to confirm with any ID/contractor?

If that is the case, you have wanna slow down on all purchases as they play a part in achieving the look you want. :)

Welcome to RT!

So you have yet to confirm with any ID/contractor?

If that is the case, you have wanna slow down on all purchases as they play a part in achieving the look you want. :)

Hi OceanEleven,

Nope I haven't confirmed with any ID/contractor however I've done up a moodboard on my own and has a clear idea of exactly how it would turn out to be so I hope this would help in my purchases. So far I've only purchased my fans in the house. I'm planning to go get my hood/hob/sinks today at Heritage Bathroom Gallery because my neighbour shared they are having 40% off storewide (except hood/hob) until end of July! Good for those people who need to buy because after comparing the prices, Heritage Bathroom is cheaper than Adamas Bathroom @ Jalan Besar.

Just to share:

Heritage Bathroom

Add: 718 Geylang Road Geylang Conservation Area Singapore 389630 Tel:+65 68460148

Will review on Heritage after I get my stuff there! :dancingqueen:

Hi Ebo, I declared GST at customs upon coming back :jawdrop:

Hi Hellonub, the model of 3 blade fan is elmark and i bought that! Its about 1180ringgit if I rem correctly :sport-smiley-003:

Hi Bianzi, the 25litres was 500ringgit :good:

Oh yay! I shall look out for the elmark fan when I'm shopping in msia.. thanks!