Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
northhaven

From A House To A Home

It has been about 4months since I started my renovation journey. Had started a T-blog but work and laziness got to me and have not been posting. Now that the renovation is at it's tail-end, I thought I'll come back to recap the journey. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate the old entry so here I am re-starting.

I started looking for a 4-room middle of last year and after viewing about 10 units of so, found one that fits 80% of what I wanted. Key criteria I had when searching for my bachelorette pad includes:

• Near to my parents place (so I can still visit, they can come over and of course, easy access to home cooked food:))
  • Walking distance to mrt station
  • No corridor unit (I prefer unit where passer-by cannot look into house)
  • High floor (unfortunately I bought a lower-floor, more on that later)
  • Reasonable COV (yes, it was before all the new rules kicked in)

Before my agent brought me to my current unit, he told me it fits 80% of what I want but unit is on 5th floor and COV is slightly above my budget. Nonetheless we went ahead with the viewing. Upon setting foot into the house, I felt a connection (pyschic huh) and can imagine myself owning and living here. I liked that all the rooms are hidden from main door view (condo-style layout they say). Immediately I asked for a 2nd viewing with my parents who fortunately quite like the place too. Did some negotiation on the COV and within a span of 1-week, I signed on the dotted line and was on my way to owning my very first apartment:)

Here's the floorplan, 90sqm, plenty space for me :)

Floorplan

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Contractor Vs ID

I was initially looking at engaging a contractor simply because I thought contractor will be cheaper and since I'm paying everything on my own, I didn't want to run up a huge bill before I even move in. Searched renotalk for contacts of both contractors and IDs and started meeting them over span of 1 month. I also sent in enquiry via renotalk and a few ID firms reverted. Here's my comparison among those I met.

Contractor K

Most on renotalk will be familiar with him as he's much sought after here for doing scandi-look. I was leaning towards getting him even before meeting as I thought if he's that good and a conctractor, his cost should be lower right? Unfortunately, no. We exchanged a few texts to confirm our meeting but his schedule is so packed that I could only get an appointment 1 month later. Nonetheless I agree. However, a few days before our meeting, he texted me to confirm but giving me another time instead of the agreed time. I agree as I didn't have another appointment that day. However, the meeting was awkward. He arrived late, we discussed all of 20mins where he just nodded, did not take much notes and didn't give inputs during that 20mins. I also didn't felt the connection (pardon me for using this word again haha) and thought if it's going to be a 2-3months working relationship, I needed someone who I can click with.

Contractor A**n

Again another popular contact on renotalk, meeting was on time and we spent about 1hr discussing how to layout the kitchen & MBR (my 2 problem areas). His quote came in on time and was quite easy to understand. However, I read several bad reviews just before I decided to sign and that was when I was hesitant as the comments were that owner needs to be very on-the-ball and scrutinise the reno process. I knew I needed someone whom I can trust to execute what we agree on so I dropped him.

ID Firm 9C*******

I emailed in my enquiry and arranged a meetup with the ID. The lady whom I met was a very young girl. The showroom/office was very similar to the look I was going for and I was hopeful. However, the lady seemed very inexperienced and couldn't advice on some questions I had so decided to drop her. The quote also excluded many things which made me hesitant.

ID J*****

Relatively new and unheard of on renotalk but since I had his contact, I wrote to him. He didn't want to meetup and asked me to email him my requirements. The 1st meeting was important and one of the selection criteria when I look for a contractor/ID. If he can't even bother to meet up with me, then I don't think this is the guy. Dropped.

ID Foo from Custombox

Mr Foo was the last one I met and duly so because I signed with him so I didn't need to look further :). One thing I liked during our 1st meeting is that he emphasize on space planning rather than ID. To all new homeowners, we always want nice looking homes and thought ID will make it work but it's more of proper and effective space-planning that is more important. Bad space planning will result in waste of good space, unfriendly usage and in the long run, probably eye-sore (all these I say, not Mr Foo, so don't quote him :) He's a very talented young guy, and his dedication to his craft and willingness to listen is a big plus. He's very good at what he does, especially creative in industrial looks and flexible. Just note that Foo doesn't provide 3D but his hand-drawn layout is as good to visualize and more often than not, 3D drawings are expensive and not realistic.

As you can see, I didn't go with contractor in the end but went with a ID instead. My reasons are:

• Foo is very open to ideas and willing to listen and give inputs on what's workable and not. This to me is important as a new owner, I am not familiar with renovation and I mustn't feel afraid to ask if I'm not sure. Some contractors/ID can be pushy or behaved like they know the best ways to do things.
  • I wasn't willing to pay extra for 3D drawings which wasn't realistic
  • His quotation was not the cheapest but is definitely within my expected range.
  • I particularly liked what was proposed to me after our 1st meeting and I thought he nailed down some of my key concerns very well.

I didn't meet with many as I feel the more I meet, the harder to make decisions. I did receive a few replies from the mass email sent out to IDs via renotalk but none came back promising. A few give me the very sales-guy feel and I didn't even went down to meet them.

End of day, my decision was based on personal comfort level with Foo and also that I felt his idea was closest to what I have in mind, within an acceptable budget.

Updates on reno journey coming up

Edited by northhaven

• Like 1

Theme

I have always loved vintage, mid-century modern, scandi look and I was very happy when I see this being the trend for home reno themes nowadays. I wasn't able to articulate well the look I was going for so I researched for some pictures and showed Foo. My theme for my home was inspired from a local shoe shop,some ladies may know which one is it after they see the final outcome. Also, I had over the last few years accummulated some vintage finds which I intend to display so in the end, my theme is a bit rojak of victorian, light-industrial, scandi. Very rojak I know haha but I think the outcome work in a way, we shall see :)

The Before...

Living room

Livingroom1

Bomb-Shelter/Entrance to Kitchen

Livingroom2

Kitchen

Kitchen

Edited by northhaven

Work-In-Progress

Living Room

LivingRm3

Bomb-Shelter/Entrance to Kitchen

WIP LivingRm1

Kitchen

WIP Kitchen

MBR

Hacked the joining wall to form 1 bedroom. Intend to use it as a wardrobe cum office

WIP MBR

Edited by northhaven

Brick wall in living room is up! That's Foo's dad hard at work :)

Home

The other side of living room

WIP Living1

MBR wardrobe

wardrobe

Wardrobe interior
Had wanted a WIW in the beginning but considering cost and practically of one, opted for the full width wardrobe. Definitely enough space for my clothes, makeup & accessories with room to grow :)

wardrobe2

Kitchen
Still work-in-progress, waiting for the caeserstone countertop and glass backsplash. Not much of a chef but definitely looking forward to making some nice warm meals in the future!

kitchen

Edited by northhaven

• Like 1

ID Foo from Custombox

Mr Foo was the last one I met and duly so because I signed with him so I didn't need to look further :). One thing I liked during our 1st meeting is that he emphasize on space planning rather than ID. To all new homeowners, we always want nice looking homes and thought ID will make it work but it's more of proper and effective space-planning that is more important. Bad space planning will result in waste of good space, unfriendly usage and in the long run, probably eye-sore (all these I say, not Mr Foo, so don't quote him :) He's a very talented young guy, and his dedication to his craft and willingness to listen is a big plus. He's very good at what he does, especially creative in industrial looks and flexible. Just note that Foo doesn't provide 3D but his hand-drawn layout is as good to visualize and more often than not, 3D drawings are expensive and not realistic.

As you can see, I didn't go with contractor in the end but went with a ID instead. My reasons are:

• Foo is very open to ideas and willing to listen and give inputs on what's workable and not. This to me is important as a new owner, I am not familiar with renovation and I mustn't feel afraid to ask if I'm not sure. Some contractors/ID can be pushy or behaved like they know the best ways to do things.
  • I wasn't willing to pay extra for 3D drawings which wasn't realistic
  • His quotation was not the cheapest but is definitely within my expected range.
  • I particularly liked what was proposed to me after our 1st meeting and I thought he nailed down some of my key concerns very well.

I didn't meet with many as I feel the more I meet, the harder to make decisions. I did receive a few replies from the mass email sent out to IDs via renotalk but none came back promising. A few give me the very sales-guy feel and I didn't even went down to meet them.

End of day, my decision was based on personal comfort level with Foo and also that I felt his idea was closest to what I have in mind, within an acceptable budget.

Updates on reno journey coming up

Welcome back! (Again) :thumbs up:

Couldnt had put it better about Mr. Foo. His earnest attitude is definitely a big plus along the reno journey.

His casual dressing often lead others mistook him as a contractor rather than an ID.

Perhaps this casualness makes him a very hands on person.

And yes, he is always present when a big or new phase is starting during the reno.

Absence of 3D is not an big issue, his free hand drawing is good enough to express the shape and look of works you are getting.

His willingness to listen to you is really pleasing. But wait, that does not means you will always get your way.

Matter of fact, Foo wont hesitate to tell you what you want may not be the best but yet he is able to improvise and counter propose something even better.

​Of course, if one insist, he will still design to meet requirement but best suited to the needs and looks.

Good choice of ID you had made and I believe you had a pretty enjoyable reno journey. :good:

Hi OceanEleven,

Yes, indeed am glad I had a smooth pleasant reno journey. After reading all the horror stories on renotalk, I was half expecting to experience the same. Now that we're almost done, can safely say it was a good experience :)

Hi Bianzi,

I started last wk of march so technically is about 3.5mths but bear in mind that I was travelling for work and there were some changes along the way.

From what I gather (maybe the seasoned homeowners here can advice) is reno process is between 8-12 wks. Depending on the amount of work needed eg. If yours is a BTO or a resale hacking involved, electrical wiring overhaul etc.

So the 4mths timeline is just my own reno journey. Yours may not be that long:)

Saw that you've also started on yours. Wishing you a pleasant reno process and enjoy it!

• Like 1

Brick wall in living room is up! That's Foo's dad hard at work :)

The other side of living room

MBR wardrobe
Wardrobe interior
Had wanted a WIW in the beginning but considering cost and practically of one, opted for the full width wardrobe. Definitely enough space for my clothes, makeup & accessories with room to grow :)
Kitchen
Still work-in-progress, waiting for the caeserstone countertop and glass backsplash. Not much of a chef but definitely looking forward to making some nice warm meals in the future!

Hi northhaven,

May I know how many feet is your wardrobe? Mr Foo is also my ID, but I haven't gotten my keys yet! Hopefully soon though.