Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Lim

Help: What Do You Look Out For When Engaging Id And Renovations Contractors

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, as my new house is estimated to be ready on october 2014 and new to this i would like to get some advice with regards to engaging an ID / renovation contractors.

1) What should i look out for when engaging an ID/Renovation contractors?

2) When meeting up with ID for the first time, what should i talk about or asked the ID?

3) Budget of 25k to 30k is it enough to renovate a new 4room HDB flat?

Would also appreciate any other advice you guys can offer me or share with what you did for the first time meeting up with an ID.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

1. Identify what items to be renovated(tiolets/rms/hall/kitchen/store) Flooring, stones? artificial/natural? Plastic? Wood?

2. Electrical (power points location), wifi.....aircon? Ceiling fans/Wal fans?, lighting......

3. Wood stuff - wardrobe, kitchen....study table... doors..wooden raise floor? Red/pine/nyatoh/teak wood....

4. Metal: windows, grill? solar film, blind? curtain?....

5. Plaster: wall? cornice?down light?...box? Console? Feature wall?

So many to list! Different ppls have different needs/interests/wants, at different phase of life. One thing bear in mind, live within your means.

- Vinyl flooring is most economical. Real natural stone flooring alone can cost you >30k.

- Lighting can easily cost you 2K

Suggestions:

1. List down all items you 'wish' to be 'renovated'. As details as possible.

2. After few days, re-examine again

3. Cross out the 'luxurious' items, leave only the 'basic' and 'MUST HAVE' items

4. Discuss these with IDs, max 3 is enough.

5. You must have ideas of what your home to be, not ID's idea! Unless you don't know what you 'wish' to have.

6. 30K can do 'very limited' things.

Example:

I insisted on granite flooring, no artificial.

I insisted glass panel of different thickness on all table top.

I insisted no window grill but '2 horizontal rectangular bars' with no 'break' across whole window panels, 6 inch and 6 inch apart from bottom up

I insisted 12 feets feature wall with teak console

2x 60 inch KDK ceiling fans, MUST install at centre of the areas which i crossed out

No 'suspended' wooden stuff structures

No wooden stuff in tiolets. All glass, SS316L or plastic.

Told ID I would pour water observing smooth flow of water to floor traps, otherwise reject all flooring!

Top hung sliding kitchen door, at tiolets as well. No bottom sliding!

I 'show hand' to IDs with:

- floor plan

- schedule, when to occupy

- Items to be done

- budget (wise tell only 80%, you'll know why soon)

Ask:

- 'can or cannot'

- what items ID 'bao'. All all IDs take all items!

- Discuss material, color in detail

- breakdown psf pricing (flooring, wall tile, kitchen 'panels'.....)

- put $ against items, see if can match.

- Allow ID 2-3 days to workout details then meet again

- Test ID, no computer drawings. Free hand pencil sketching will do.

- If he/she can't sketch, say bye bye.

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the advice. I have already chosen the HDB floor Tiles but will need all the doors as i didn't choose the HDB ones. And all the things i need should be all the basic necessary stuff, and maybe some luxury items suchs as display cabinets as i do collect some toys. The design should just be decent looking. Guess i will need sometime to list down the stuff i need. So its advise i should at least write down a list of the things i want and bring to the ID for the first meeting with him?

Meeting/discussion need 'agenda', difference lies such 'in mind'/finger tip or on paper.

Old birds hide these in mind, throw pcs out here and there, like playing monkeys.

Experienced ID can tell you everything at his 'finger tips'. He is able instantly differentiate if genuine client or info fisherman.

Go for the one who walks 'extra mile' - reality is cruel - only know if he walk or doesn't after engage him.

Reno is much complicated than usual grocery marketing, advisable to write items down then review before too late

This forum has plenty of reno lists posted with price. Do some homework by copying then applying.

Enjoy sourcing.

One lobang - go Baroque D.zign pte ltd, look for Miko. Know her since 2006, engaged her twice. She is loyal and adds value to the company.

Usually, ID won't stay long in one Co.

Edited by bepgof