Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rachel

Somewhat Scandinavian~ 2Room+Studio

Is this in Tampines ?

Hi Aspialle, it is in Tampines (opposite Temasek Poly)

Hi, sorry to interrupt. Nothing to do with reno. But i thought Arc's TOP is Dec 2015?

I think Dec 2015 was the latest possible... the info board during the construction period indicated July 2014.

Hi Rachel,

Like to check with you the workmanship upon receiving the unit. Was there a lot of defects that needed rectification? Heard of a lot of problem with Hoi Hup Sunway projects. First glance I see yours isn't too bad although I noticed is few defect markers you've pasted on the kitchen cabinets. Hope they've bucked up and improved on quality after the complaints for Peak and Vacanza. My new place is by them as well and will TOP soon also.

Hi Family Guy72,

According to my ID and the others whom we didn't select in the end... the workmanship is pretty good compared to some condos they've seen recently... In my opinion, I think the defects aren't very major, but really depends on your luck, some of my neighbours have worse/better workmanship in their units... and the main contractor seems to fix them pretty quickly... some stuff they will never replace - like doors, my scratched balcony door glass, manufacturing flaws in my sinks... some design flaws in my neighbours unit also cannot change.... so gotta live with it :dunno: where abouts is your new place??

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think Dec 2015 was the latest possible... the info board during the construction period indicated July 2014.

icic. thanx! look forward to seeing ur reno progress!

Hi Aspialle, it is in Tampines (opposite Temasek Poly)

Hi Family Guy72,

According to my ID and the others whom we didn't select in the end... the workmanship is pretty good compared to some condos they've seen recently... In my opinion, I think the defects aren't very major, but really depends on your luck, some of my neighbours have worse/better workmanship in their units... and the main contractor seems to fix them pretty quickly... some stuff they will never replace - like doors, my scratched balcony door glass, manufacturing flaws in my sinks... some design flaws in my neighbours unit also cannot change.... so gotta live with it :dunno: where abouts is your new place??

Thanks for your prompt reply, Rachel. Good to hear that quality has improved. Our place is at Miltonia Residences which currently is doing site inspection so TOP is expected soon. Our layout is different but interior furnishings look very similar ;)

Oops, took a break for a bit cause I was travelling!

a few more pictures of the 2 bedroom side of the unit

Long balcony - side story regarding the balcony doors - one of the glass had a long (>15cm) scratch, and this 'helpful' guy was polishing the glass to get rid of the scratch... Alas, either the scratch was super deep or the he was too enthusiastic and when looking through the touched up glass, the view was warped =( imagine funny mirrors at science centre ... they replaced the whole glass after the fiasco

15707797261_c0cf55cc98_z.jpg

Kitchen.. :help: omg so small?!?! only cabinets and counter top on one side.... for someone like me who loves to cook and bake #nightmare ... running joke that the architect who designed this only dapao his meals and has never cooked in a kitchen or something .... so kitchen expansion/remodel will be taking up a good chunk of reno budget for us

r90_b_131531.jpg

Common bed room - also small, but we are planning to use it as a storeroom/study/spare bedroom... #ambitious much!

15711270192_011b7db00e_z.jpg

Wardrobe - white and possibly impossible to maintain

15524861030_fce2561600_z.jpg

Curved windows of master bedroom - love it sometimes .. hate it most times.... have no idea how can we install blinds cause curtains are so not our thing #lazy :dunno:

r90_b_132224.jpg

Last but not least... tiny (again!) bathroom.. sink is to the left of the WC.. not sure why I didn't take a landscape photo .. oops

b_131810.jpg

Thats our #danchelhouse as it came...... hopefully we can transform it into something we'll be happy to come home to =D

Edited by Rachel

Sharing some pictures that inspired us:

Living room:

I would really like to have wooden floors to have a truly Scandinavian theme but I really cannot get over the fact that laminates/tiles will look like wood, but wouldn't feel anything like the real thing... so we improvised (hem. compromised).... and accommodate the wood on the wall (behind our sofa) instead..... real wood - pine most probably..

b_145517.jpg

I totally love the Muuto stacking shelves (bottom right picture) but our ID says its not stable/safe... I have a similar system in my current bedroom which is 3 'levels' high, made of plywood so it wasnt strong enough to support more levels - so we'll be getting a whole wall's worth of shelves customised... Plus the Muuto shelves are like 200-300bucks per box .. :blink:

Kitchen/Dining

Since we are knocking down the existing kitchen wall to extend it, the new wall will only be constructed to half height - going for the glass with frame - only thing we are unsure if we should go for a black frame cause its leaning towards industrial... or white frame to be more give a more scandinavian feel...

b_152142.jpg

Balcony- still undecided.

Initially I thought I would find the plain gray tiles in the balcony super boring, but after visiting Hafary/ Soon Bee Huat, there wasn't any other option I liked better.. so 80% leaning towards leaving the balcony as it is ...

Common Bedroom

Since we have no utility room, no extra bedroom... this has to be our multi-purpose-do-everything room :sport-smiley-003:

Ideally, we will have a loft bed for any guests we may have or for D when we fight.... underneath would be the 'utility room'.. and we will need a desk to accommodate our computer...

b_150317.jpg

Master bedroom - no inspiration whatsoever.

Not sure if we are neglecting such an important space... but we are planning to only have wardrobe & bed. haha- no idea how special it can get =x

Think we can pull off a Scandinavian look? keeping my fingers crossed!

Also the 3D images provided by Buzz, our ID:

Master Bedroom: since we are not planning to have TV/ Study desk in the bedroom, decided to do a L shape wardrobe to make use of the void space in the room...

This is not the final components of the wardrobe- incorporating more hanging space and less shelves... also, decided to go for DOORS. since various #voiceofreason said its really #notpractical if i go for open concept

only downside is its kinda of awkward for the person sleeping on the inside to get to bed =x but seems that several Renotalkers also have a similar layout for their bedrooms, so I'm not too worried... anything goes as long there a LARGER wardrobe #womenwoes

Common Bedroom:

as well as storeroom, study room, guest bedroom

spending a fair chunk of $$ to achieve the 'multi-purposes-ness', keeping our fingers cross that it will look nice as well as meet our needs!

Edited by Rachel

Living room 3D deserves a post all on its own.... so much headache, backwards/forwards over the design of the custom shelves / feature wall...

Version 1:

On the right: Wooden feature wall that we will DIY! :jammin: ambitious, but we really felt that the quotes we received were too high!

Left : shelves as designed by the ID: too much white for our liking...

Background: new kitchen half wall, with black framed windows

Version 2:

Shelves re-arranged

Version 3:

Something closer to what we want, but the final is just a little different

Version 4:

Instead of black framed windows, we thought about going for WHITE ones, to achieve a more Scandinavian feel.... although once again the #voiceofreason said black is easier to clean.. :dunno: my reply was ... if it gets dirty.. i can keep :paint: over ? hahaha .... does black or white frame look nicer?

Edited by Rachel

your living room 3D is very nice! for the frame maybe you can decide based on what your other furniture colour will be? not sure if you'll be having a darker or lighter sofa/dining table/chairs/light fixtures etc. black pops more and is easier to maintain. white will turn a bit yellow over time (but same case for white walls haha. repaint when that happens...). i vote for white cos i agree with you that it's more scandinavian and less industrial :)

If i am not wrong it should be a Condo unit.

Have a friend staying at Esperia who have similar concept which I really love it

I think its an EC, the ARC.

Sharing some pictures that inspired us:

Living room:

I would really like to have wooden floors to have a truly Scandinavian theme but I really cannot get over the fact that laminates/tiles will look like wood, but wouldn't feel anything like the real thing... so we improvised (hem. compromised).... and accommodate the wood on the wall (behind our sofa) instead..... real wood - pine most probably..

b_145517.jpg

I totally love the Muuto stacking shelves (bottom right picture) but our ID says its not stable/safe... I have a similar system in my current bedroom which is 3 'levels' high, made of plywood so it wasnt strong enough to support more levels - so we'll be getting a whole wall's worth of shelves customised... Plus the Muuto shelves are like 200-300bucks per box .. :blink:

Kitchen/Dining

Since we are knocking down the existing kitchen wall to extend it, the new wall will only be constructed to half height - going for the glass with frame - only thing we are unsure if we should go for a black frame cause its leaning towards industrial... or white frame to be more give a more scandinavian feel...

b_152142.jpg

Balcony- still undecided.

Initially I thought I would find the plain gray tiles in the balcony super boring, but after visiting Hafary/ Soon Bee Huat, there wasn't any other option I liked better.. so 80% leaning towards leaving the balcony as it is ...

Common Bedroom

Since we have no utility room, no extra bedroom... this has to be our multi-purpose-do-everything room :sport-smiley-003:

Ideally, we will have a loft bed for any guests we may have or for D when we fight.... underneath would be the 'utility room'.. and we will need a desk to accommodate our computer...

b_150317.jpg

Master bedroom - no inspiration whatsoever.

Not sure if we are neglecting such an important space... but we are planning to only have wardrobe & bed. haha- no idea how special it can get =x

Think we can pull off a Scandinavian look? keeping my fingers crossed!

Do let me know if you managed to get this done up...coz I am also looking at unlocking space for "utility storage" . :)

Also the 3D images provided by Buzz, our ID:

Master Bedroom: since we are not planning to have TV/ Study desk in the bedroom, decided to do a L shape wardrobe to make use of the void space in the room...

This is not the final components of the wardrobe- incorporating more hanging space and less shelves... also, decided to go for DOORS. since various #voiceofreason said its really #notpractical if i go for open concept

only downside is its kinda of awkward for the person sleeping on the inside to get to bed =x but seems that several Renotalkers also have a similar layout for their bedrooms, so I'm not too worried... anything goes as long there a LARGER wardrobe #womenwoes

b_052317.jpg

Common Bedroom:

as well as storeroom, study room, guest bedroom

spending a fair chunk of $$ to achieve the 'multi-purposes-ness', keeping our fingers cross that it will look nice as well as meet our needs!

b_123232.jpg

It is really an ingenious design, how much does it cost? I am also seriously considering it. :)

Oops, I'm super behind on updating the progress, so some pictures to summarize the work done so far :

Week 1: Laying cardboard, hacking kitchen wall, remove master BR wardrobe, remove master toilet mirror

Last picture of the original wall separating the kitchen and dining area

New spacious kitchen =D

Master bedroom wardrobe gone .... trying not to think about the $$ we are sort of throwing away.. haha...

Mirror also gone from the toilet, goodbye my wide mirror :~ .. Apparently they have to smash it into pieces to remove it... and D got some splinters from the minute pieces of glass still in our toilet.... :dunno:

Edited by Rachel