Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rosicky

Hopefully Scandinavian

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I would say go for Ikea in case of surprises from TB

That was the thought from the rational side of me, though i prefer the taobao design.

Edited by Rosicky

Ikea frame is now 10cm longer than sg standard. Unless u r getting ur mattress from ikea... i was planning to get their single size frame too. Only then i realise the size difference.

Ikea frame is now 10cm longer than sg standard. Unless u r getting ur mattress from ikea... i was planning to get their single size frame too. Only then i realise the size difference.

Is that the case? Was under the impression that they fits singapore queen size bed of ard 200 x 150? The following information from ikea sg website for the Hemnes bed.

Product dimensions
Length: 211 cm

Footboard height: 68 cm

Headboard height: 122 cm

Width: 167 cm

Mattress length: 200 cm

Mattress width: 150 cm

Is that the case? Was under the impression that they fits singapore queen size bed of ard 200 x 150? The following information from ikea sg website for the Hemnes bed.

Product dimensions
Length: 211 cm

Footboard height: 68 cm

Headboard height: 122 cm

Width: 167 cm

Mattress length: 200 cm

Mattress width: 150 cm

singapore's mattresses are only about 191cm long, instead of 200cm :) i bought a bedframe from ikea for my queen size mattress too, and the frame (length 202cm) is about 10cm longer than my mattress. hope this helps! :)

singapore's mattresses are only about 191cm long, instead of 200cm :) i bought a bedframe from ikea for my queen size mattress too, and the frame (length 202cm) is about 10cm longer than my mattress. hope this helps! :)

Hmm... I will go back to measure my current mattress then...

Lemoncandy, you house looks gorgeous :good: , nice bed as well, guess its OK to be slightly oversize since its a platform bed.

Hmm... I will go back to measure my current mattress then...

Lemoncandy, you house looks gorgeous :good: , nice bed as well, guess its OK to be slightly oversize since its a platform bed.

aww thanks :) haha. yup, you're right, i went for it since it's a platform and the extra length didn't really matter. i feel that ikea's solid wood bed frames are all pretty good deals! good luck with your bed shopping! your house has a really interesting layout. looking forward to see how your reno goes :P

The local queen is indeed 1.9m :dunno: . seems like china also using 2000 x 1500mm. Anyone got their beds from taobao?

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=21591795711&spm=a1z0k.7385961.1997985097.d4918997.XBp5K6&_u=n1sg3n2a688a

I bought my queen size bed frame from TaoBao and it fits perfectly with my Simmons's queen size mattress. Hope it helps. :)

Letting go of my Deka Baby G for $75 each, some change in plans and decide not to put ceiling fans in the bed rooms. Self collect from Hougang, please PM me to arrange, thanks. Brand new in box, black, warranty unfilled.

deka-baby-g-ceiling-fan-aysia-1111-23-ay

Finally placed my order for lights from taobao via oops.sg, hope everything will turn up fine.

taobao_lights.jpg

Edited by Rosicky

After weeks of deliberation, finally signed on the dotted line last night with the selected contractor, Impress21. Since it’s a home improvement project, I did not cast my net very wide in shortlisting ID/Contractors. I go for convenience and all 4 operate in the Hougang area where I stay.

Impress21 (Henry)
Walking distance from my house. Prices are reasonable, not necessary every item cheapest but overall quite transparent. Boss Henry is patient and frank, and flexible in working with other sub-cons.

Contractor (Uncle Bok)
A distant relative recommended by relatives, done up many of their houses. Old school contractor that communicates only verbally. No written quotes was given throughout the engagement. Willing to do the renovation room by room so that I do not need to move out. Did not engage him in the end as he is not able to give a written quote with any details at all, and the lump sum given is on the high side with no guarantees of hidden or creeping costs.

RenoGuyz (Nic)
Nic is easy going and we do strike a good conversation. However, he is too busy and unable to take up my project. End up asking his staff to follow up. His price is quite OK, but one thing I do not like is that he asks for a budget. I guess there are 2 ways to look at this. The first is to tailor and do the necessary items based on your budget. The reverse is true that they may “work” according to your budget.

­

AN-D
The only so call ID among the ones I met, so as expected the pricing is the highest as well. Thus it was never in the running.

­

Myself
Besides talking to these contractors, I was considering to project management myself. Thus I had approached a myriad of contractors from plastering, carpentry, windows, painting, aircon and electrical. I scrap the idea in the end as most of the time, the quotes might not always be cheaper than going to a main con, plus the amount of time required to coordinate, just not worth the while and my own salary! Nonetheless, I did engage some of these contractors with Henry’s blessings. I will be getting my own contractors for carpentry, electrical and balcony decking.

Starting work in 2 weeks time. :good:

Edited by Rosicky

Have been running around for the past 2 weeks like a mad man, thus no time to update the t-blog... :wacko:Work started on 13-Oct, target to move back in on 25-Oct, so it will be fast and furious. Some challenges:

1. Taobao Lights

I ordered my lights quite late around 30-Sep, and also din took notice of the October China holidays. I had to wait until around 10 Oct when the shipment was finally out, estimate arrival on the 24-Oct. Fingers crossed that it will arrive on time. As I am moving back in on 25-Oct, will be expecting a few days of stay without complete lights as the electrician do the installation.

2. Vinyl Flooring

I was quite convinced to go for Vinyl flooring for my study room after I saw some nice ones from Evorich and Wood Culture. I assume all Vinyl are similar and thus did not specifically ask for brands when my ID quoted me. However, I was very disappointed when I receive the sample of an unknown brand, texture and prints dun look like wood at all. I requested for Wood Culture, so far the best vinyl i have seen... but was rejected as the minimum cost is $1000, while ID only quoted me $580. ID offered me another option, Supreme flooring. I must say the quality was much better, but I still find it short of what I saw from Wood Culture. Cut the story short, I end up taking the SC4 range laminates from Supreme, feels much closer to real wood than the Vinyl offerings. Hope the results will come out good after installation.

Edited by Rosicky