Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zombsta

Budget For Bathroom Tiling

Hi all,

My HDB common toilet has wall tiles that are about to fall off (probably about time since it has been almost 15 years). I am thinking of hacking and retiling the entire toilet and is wondering what kind of budget should I be working with for such purpose? Also, typical how long does such renovation work takes seeing that it is going to deprive me of 1 toilet for guest usage. Lastly if I were to re-tile the toilet, do I need to replace the toilet bowl and wash basin as well or can i just keep them where they were?

Appreciate any help. thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi zombsta

I'm about to reno my bathrooms too. Since I'm living in the unit, I'm choosing to overlay the tiles because hacking is just too messy! Also saves time and some money.

If you are changing the toilet bowls, washbasin, shower, etc then of course you got to factor in the costs of these. The choice of tiles, rewiring, etc will also affect the costs.

My suggestion is to have a budget of say, $3k to $5k per toilet. End day you decide how extensive it's going to be. Hope this helps!

Hi calaislily,

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I have the option of overlaying the tiles since I am pushed into the renovation because the wall tiles are coming off. As in the tiles are holding together but peeling of the wall. Because it is my parents' place, I don't need it to be aesthetically nice, just good and functional.

Does your 3k-5k includes all the rewiring and wash basin and toilet bowl and piping? If so, I think it is a reasonable price to pay. Just find it hard to swallow paying 3k-5k if only for hacking and retiling work. Haha. Also, if you would be so kind as give an example of your cost for re-doing your bathroom, I would be very grateful. :)

Hi guys,

Just a word of advice. If you want to retile your bathroom, do not ever do overlaying. There are too many considerations and factors involved. Better to pay more for a better job. Heard from my contractor that the other contractors suggest overlaying cause it is easy fast cash for them. Do hack off the existing the tiles and lay a new set. If you need contractor pm me.

Hi all,

Agreed with Dylanchua, do not do overlaying because of water proofing too.... once u hack the wall, floor also have to hack off together....

And hack floor also because of easy for changing new toilet bowl too. The cost ard $4k.... all included... Pm me if u need contractor recommend. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi guys,

Just a word of advice. If you want to retile your bathroom, do not ever do overlaying. There are too many considerations and factors involved. Better to pay more for a better job. Heard from my contractor that the other contractors suggest overlaying cause it is easy fast cash for them. Do hack off the existing the tiles and lay a new set. If you need contractor pm me.

Whether overlay or hack off, it is up to individual to choose if they want to save hacking cost, lesser mess..etc.

contractors who advise hacking so that they can also earn more.

Hi all,

Agreed with Dylanchua, do not do overlaying because of water proofing too.... once u hack the wall, floor also have to hack off together....

And hack floor also because of easy for changing new toilet bowl too. The cost ard $4k.... all included... Pm me if u need contractor recommend. :sport-smiley-018:

when we do overlay, we also add a new layer of "warrior w1" aka "milk" before overlay tiles.

W1 is also added into the cement for better bonding.

having said this, you will have 2 layers of waterproofing instead of 1.

generally, most of the water seepage is from the floor traps and WC sewer opening, so get the contractor to pay extra attention to these area.

however, if the development is more than 20yrs, it will be good to hack.

Hello fellow friends, i had just renovated my new home and im statisfied with the work that my contractor has done. If you need a good and reliable contractor, do PM me. Price can be nego. Just wanna share my smile with you guys. :)

when we do overlay, we also add a new layer of "warrior w1" aka "milk" before overlay tiles.

W1 is also added into the cement for better bonding.

having said this, you will have 2 layers of waterproofing instead of 1.

generally, most of the water seepage is from the floor traps and WC sewer opening, so get the contractor to pay extra attention to these area.

however, if the development is more than 20yrs, it will be good to hack.

Hi GMC, will the overlay job include everything that the original layout has? I.e. concrete, then waterproof membrane then screed (and strengthener) then the new tiles? I understand from certain BCA literature I've been reading that this is the correct and best layout, so just wondering if it will be replicated for the overlay job as well.

I think KSToh's blog also talks about something similar:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/page-10#entry857733

I can't wrap my head around how much less overlaying costs (vs hacking) if they are actually going to be replicating all 3 layers exactly...? Doesn't add up...hmm.

Thanks in advance for your views! :)

Hi all,

hi Astrid One,

I do need a contractor to do tiling works. Much appreciate if you can send me your recommendations. tks.

Hi all,

Hi Astrid One

Just got our resale flat and looking for a contractor to do full bathroom works. Would appreciate it if you can pls PM me your contact. Thanks!