Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RLB

The Process Of Transforming An Old 5Rm Hdb @ Bukit Purmei To Our Dream Home!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

updates after more than 2 weeks :)

Overall: Vinyl flooring completed, wiring 90% installed. Pipes painted. Plastering done.

gray feature wall painted, false ceiling up

IMG_9316.jpg

balcony painted too

IMG_9315.jpg

dining room

IMG_9180.jpg

kitchen

IMG_9332.jpg

Yeah.. indeed the spaciousness is a huge advantage :) but older flats have problems that newer ones don't have.

The main thing would be having to tear down literally everything instead of having a blank canvas and that is quite costly..

Even though the overall size is bigger, but the toilets are really small. Especially the one in the MBR. Thank god the storeroom was approved to be coverted into part of it.

Plastering is a must do.

Have to rewire and reapply water proofing. That means a lot of hacking. Lots of unsightly pipes at weird places.

And the exterior of older flats is really quite ugly =/ and that is something we cannot change.

And also, the lifts.

So i guess both has its own set of issues to be tackled. :)

I was at your thread to look around.. do post your completed reno's image for us to admire :D hope you are settling in nicely.

Nice! I always go back to wonder if I made the right choice going for a bto instead of a resale whenever I see spacious places like this! But I agree both have its own set of concerns.

Btw can I just check where are you customising the table below? Unique legs!

custom making these

phoenix-work-table.jpg

seguro-rectangular-coffee-table3.jpg

Hi ma5quer, these are originally from Crate and Barrel. I believe they still sell these two pieces. The reason why I custom made them is because I really like the designs but the dimension cannot work for me. The first table is of a study table size but I am planning to use it for dining. The coffee table is too short horizontally for my sofa/living room. My sofa is 3m and this is only around 1.5m if i am not wrong.

If what crate and barrel is selling works for you in terms of dimension, you should consider getting from them instead because it is slightly more expensive to custom order them.

I got a carpenter from Malaysia to do it for me. He owns a wood factory. If you are keen I can pass you the contact ^^

Honestly, if given a choice I would choose new flats. Nowadays, the btos are very pretty.. like condo in fact. Those with full length windows especially. Smaller area means less area to renovate. I am someone happy living in a studio so I guess spacious living isnt as tempting for me as for others ;)

Cleaning up is easier for a smaller area too!

Edited by RLB

Hi yc_nw,

I am installing a daikin system 5 :)

Hi RLB,

Many thanks for your fast reply.

I was told that Daikin System 5 is not appropriate for HDB as the Outdoor unit itself weights about 83kg, hence it's above the limit of the bracket of ledge. Especially since we are old flats, so, it's gonna be held by brackets.

Please enlighten me if really can, as we don't seem to have much choice. I'm getting a resale 5 rm at Sgoon Nth. Was told that the only option I have is Toshiba System 5. Then again, it seems like a good choice since the units are made in Japan. :)

Please share your thought. :)

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know! Turns out you are the one enlightening me heh.. I am sorry I can't help.

I guess if its made in Japan it should be fine.

Good thing is we have yet to totally commit to Daikin yet so if that is really the case guess I will be switching to Toshiba too.

If not I might change to a system 3/4 (if it is lighter) since we do not need so many units. (its just me and the husband ;) )

Edited by RLB

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know! Turns out you are the one enlightening me heh.. I am sorry I can't help.

I guess if its made in Japan it should be fine.

Good thing is we have yet to totally commit to Daikin yet so if that is really the case guess I will be switching to Toshiba too.

If not I might change to a system 3/4 (if it is lighter) since we do not need so many units. (its just me and the husband ;) )

Hi RLB,

Hahaha. This is what forums are good for. To learn & share. :)

But, really, I'd think better to go for System 5 and install everything at 1 go. Look at the freaking weather now. ~_~ I regretted like 10000x when I didn't install in my living room for our 1st place. Once bitten, twice shy.

Anyway, if you're getting System 5 Toshiba, can try Gain City. I find the deal pretty gd, total 5.8K+ (excluding brackets + upgrading of cables/ wires), FOC $500 Gain vouchers (can be offset for next purchase), or can change to CHOICE vouchers. then foc 1+4 yrs warranty (Limited to total cost of $1,999). If just getting equipment, then will be 4.2K+, but, no more freebies. :)

We still haven't buy it, coz was hoping that they can give further discount on the 5.8K+ :)

Tell me about the freaking weather again >.<

I am definitely installing in the living room and MBR , actually for my walk in, dining and spare room, is not really die die must install. This is also why I have not commit totally to the aircon yet cuz I feel that 3 places I mentioned would be under utilized.

Thanks for the introducing me the deal. If I decide to go w Toshiba I will definitely use the info you provide!!

All the best to your reno too :D I am excited for you. Will pop by your thread from time to time :good:

Please install in ur WIW. Especially if you have mirrors and vanity & such... Plus if you're the type that tends to change a couple of times before deciding on the final outfit. Hahahha. You definitely need aircon there. You don't wanna perspire after every change. Think of the weather is gonna be like the past 2 days (So FREAKING Hot & humid).

I can't say for your dinning & guest room. But, I'll say WIW is a must. Hehhehe.

Your advice is really making a lot of sense.. I cant believe initally I actually thought that was the least needed room for aircon :ph34r: haha..

Yup, the past saturday and sunday is really horrid. And the sunlight was super glaring too!

It just rained in serangoon tho heh... :D

Thank you!