Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
prata

Airwell For Inter-Terrace

hi, need to seek advise again from experienced forum members...

i am in the midst of doing a&a for a small 20ft by75ft intermediate terrace... its just a simple 2 storey hse...

i felt that an airwell is important for an inter-terrace but my contractor is saying that its a waste of space in my small place...

may i ask... is there a need for an air well? any minimum size for it to be effective?

tahnks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have to agree that a small airwell is not worth the compromise. It becomes a major maintenance issue.

Airwell requires drainage, more exposed surfaces, require a lot more windows/doors.

Having an airwell really depends on your design. If the rooms and toilet does not require an airwell, then omit it.

If the middle is a stairwell, perhaps a simple skylight is sufficient to allow light into the lvl 2 corridor/ stairwell.

have to agree that air well will take up precious space and will not be worth your while.

the skylight option above the stairs is a viable one if what you want is a brighter interior.

Better air circulation can be attained with more ceiling fans.

Hi,

thanks for the responses thus far...

i presume skylights are just plexi-glass to light pass thru - the air does flow out right?

regards.

Not plexiglass. In sg hot climate, anything that is not glass will turn yellow.

Can install fixed louvered windows up there or install a roof ventilator.

We had done air well in our terrace, space consume by this air well is only 24 square feet, slightly more than 1% of floor area.

And it bring lot of brightness and ventilation to the middle of our house, slight inconvenience is we must close the window & sliding door when it rain. As for decoration we place a pond in that area.

IMO - space is not wasted and was put into good use, just like a window in a room instead of a wall.