Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Encounter this contractor that uses inferior wiring for my house.

Only get to know after the following encounters;

3 cases happened to me after the renovation.

1) LESS THAN 6 MONTHS - WATER HEATER

Was bathing that night, suddenly I heard a loud "fire cracker" sound that really surprised me.

I turned towards where the sound came from and was shocked at what I saw!

A burning flame slowly descended from the ceiling.

Almost hit me on the head, but lucky me I managed to move backwards in a nick of time.

i called the above contractor and he get his subcontractor to help me rectify after a few days.

My family was without warm water and have to boil water whenever my child needs to bathe.

The most astonishing thing was when the sub contractor complained to me that I am not the 1st case of such inferior wiring and such cases can be a fire hazard and he is going around to rectify such cases for the above contractor.

Imagine this is the above contractor's subcontractor!

My water heater never gave me any issues after that till now.

2) LESS THAN ONE YEAR - COOKER HOOD

My cooker hood just couldn't turn on suddenly after close to a year.

My family seldoms cook and the hood is very under utilised.

At 1st we thought it may be the cooker hood manufacturer's problem.

We contacted them and request for a technician to come and check.

We were even ready to replace a brand new one if necessary and can only blame on our bad luck.

The technician inspect and reported that our cooker hood is so new and working very well.

He commented to us that the wiring is inferior and thus gave way, cutting the power to the hood.

I called the above contractor and he told us that warranty is over, so we have to pay.

I was very reluctant at 1st but no choice and thought this may be the last item on the books.

3) LESS THAN 2 YEARS - AIR CON

The aircon in both my common rooms just cannot turn on suddenly.

As we don't really use the 2 rooms, we were pretty surprised.

We engage our regular air con servicing company to help check and service our aircons as well.

The technician reported that out aircons are in good condition and pretty new and unlikely to have such an issue given the age and low usage.

He suspected again our most dreaded issue, inferior wiring again!

We pray for the best and he went down to get a set of wires to do trouble shooting.

After the troubleshooting, he confirmed that it was poor quality wiring again.

The wires has given way for both bedrooms and it is only a matter of time my master bedroom goes off too.

We immediately called the above contractor and again he told us that the warranty is over and we have to fork out the amount for replacement.

I told him that it is very unfair and it is due to his inferior wiring that such an issue arises.

He told me that he is having his holiday and will settle when he is back.

Didn't even bother to contact me until I did after a day he is back.

He told me to call his subcontractor myself.

The sub contractor asked me to pay him once the work is done.

I immediately contacted the above contractor and ask what is happening.

He told me that he has asked the subcontractor to charge cheaper and that's all he can offer as warranty is over.

Imagine the aircon in my parents place and their aircon runs for the past 10 years without issues like mine!

Contractually it is true that warranty is over.

But I hope that future home owners beware if you come across this contractor and don't end up like me..

If they are the cheapest in the market, I think such a situation may happened to me as if price can really go down then quality may have to be sacrificed.

But I have friends who have lower renovation cost than mine and theirs have no such issues like mine at all!

It is really the integrity and the way the contractor conduct their business.

I wish them all the best in the way they conduct their business.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation