Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mummyoftwo

Full Glass Backsplash In Toilets

Hi all,

Looking around for advice on toilet renovations. We have recently obtained the keys to our 5 room BTO flat in Pasir Ris. As we are all so well-versed on HDB's rule on hacking toilet tiles- that leaves us with the obvious choice of overlaying or just living with it for the next 3 years (or is it 5?).

We were clear that we want to have the former done but our would-be contractor is highly against the idea. Same reason time and again- not secure and tiles will pop out. But, he made a suggestion to use glass backsplash instead. Price-wise, it is "more or less the same with overlaying".

Has anyone opted this option before? The contractor said it is a better option providing both security and aesthetics. We are not sure. Overtime, will glass rust or gets mouldy? :unsure:

We are unable to imagine to have a toilet with glass all around. Will it look to stark? If anyone has done this before, it will be very helpful if you could provide photos to feed our very unimaginative minds.

OR, if anyone did any overlaying in the toilets recently, your two cents worth will help us tremendously.

Thank you! :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Glass backsplash... how are you going to drill into your backsplash to put any corner racks, toilet roll holder etc? You may have to get multiple suction kind of toiletries. The glass backsplash may also crack and if something heavy accidentally hit onto your backsplash, maybe it will come shattering down. I don't think it is advisable for big areas. Tiles are more suitable. Overlaying has less risk when the tiles are new and good. For old tiles then ID will advise hacking and then re-tile.

Glass is glossy, while tiles are matt. In a bathroom, you will have never-ending battle with grim. It will get dirty very fast IMO. Just bear with it. No point do have assed job like overlay or glass and have to deal with it a few years down the road.

snowy89 : Yes, multiple suction is one of the option. The other "better" option, he (the contractor) explained that he will cut the glass to fit all the accessories nicely. This way, we will get all the accessories first, have them fixed, the glass will come later part- which according to him again, is a very clean job and can be done anytime even after the whole renovation is done. :unsure:

Arshavin: Precisely. It's such a prefect reason why we should NOT have overlaying done but don't know why we are still feeling very stubborn! :bangwall:

LionFlyer: My exact sentiments too. I guess we will just have to live with it for a while then.

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_54302_33_69632.jpg

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_54302_33_40201.jpg

I would not do that because I just experience an extremely scary incident. My 18 months old glass panel just shattered without any reason last week. My teenage son and dog were at home then so you can imagine my fear when I received the phone call from my son. I researched on sudden shattered glass and found out that it was apparently quite normal. If I am to do it again, I will not install any glass in my house anymore. Just my view.

I think the glass backsplash is not a good idea. As snowy89 pointed out, you will have trouble mounting most of the toilet accessories on the walls. Cutting holes through the glass means your contractor will probably use silicon to patch the exposed holes after mounting the accessories. This can be hard to maintain if the silicon is not smoothened out. The biggest hazard is if someone loose his grip on the hand-held shower head, it will back swing and hit hard on the glass backsplash. Too dangerous...

• Like 1

Just go with the overlaying of tiles if you really hate the toilet tiles.... You as customer can over write the ID/contractor. I have friends who overlay their toilet tiles(walls, floor) > 5yrs and it didn't have any issue till now. I think its a matter of workmanship standard from the contractor. If he has no confidence in that which is so common nowsaday, I think it is time you should re-consider looking to outsource that portion or change your contractor if you have not confirm him.

I still cannot get my head around why backsplash for toilet? high class hotel toilet renovate until very nice also don't use glass backsplash. You can consider doing glass shower screen like those in St. Regis, Westin, Novotel, Sheraton, Hilton.

Just a thought.