Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
meow

Convert 3-Room Hdb Into A Spa-Cafe-Boutique-Hotel Suite

I am converting my 3 room HDB (59sqm + 9sqm) into a Spa-Cafe-Boutique Hotel Suite.

Here's were my requirements to the IDs :

The Space must be Bright
Good to introduce an element of Green. Owner may eventually want to grow a herb garden in the Balcony.
The Space must give a luxurious feel. Returning Home is like going back to a 5 star hotel executive suite.
Owner would like to be able to entertain at home near the kitchen bar / balcony. (Have a cup of coffee / dinner with frens)
Owner works from home. Thus, needs little cosy areas where she can work on her laptop, read an ipad / documents while drinking coffee. i.e. Café Feel.
Owner only does basic cooking thus does not need an elaborate Kitchen.
Owner would like things to be hidden as much as possible so that it doesn’t collect dust and cleaning doesn’t have to be such an arduous effort.
Owner is not particular with the Bedroom as she spends most of her time in the living room.
The walk-in wardrobe should be able to convert into guest room whenever needed.
Owner would need a space to put her piano.
Owner may rent out the unit in future. Thus, try to keep the design neutral i.e. not too feminine.
After talking to 2 serious ID, 1 half baked ID and 2 really unprofessional ones. I finally shortlisted the following floor plan.
Here's my original floor plan :
Here's the floor plan proposed by my ID that I finally shortlisted because the space resonates with my requirements.
Unfortunately, the ID didn't provide me with the visual that resonates so well with the floor plan and I finally switch to another new id that came in after the shortlist process.
Here are the design that made me select them
1) Cafe Kitchen
2) Cafe Living Room
3) Cafe Balcony
4) Boutique
5) Spa
I am halfway through my renovation, in the coming weeks, I hope to share my renovation journey and experience in this blog. I am keeping my fingers crossed to see whether the end product looks as good as the rendering.
Edited by meow

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow, so far the most challenging 3room layout I have seen so far... hope it will turn out well ... excited to see the final product of yours~

I have a question. Will HDB allow a bathtub outside the confines of the designated toilet? I'm under the impression that such a design is unacceptable due to waterproofing issues.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#Bathroom

Enlargement of bathroom/toilet after first three years upon completion of block Yes Maximum width and area of extension
  • Must not be more than 600 mm and 0.6 m2 respectively and
  • Can only be used as a "dry area"
  • For example, for installation of wash basin or shelves
  • The existing gas riser and it’s branch pipe must not become enclosed in the extended bathroom/toilet

If u saw Liebling design at myhometown.com, yes it can be done as kitchen is consider wet area.

Mmm, but the kitchen is now no longer in a "wet area", is it? Not trying to be a wet blanket but I'm seeking clarification.

Hi El LoCo,

Sure. Will pm you the ID name. I do not want to share it publicly here until I see that they've delivered as promised ;-).

Edited by meow

Hi DaddyWinter,

Yah..quite a number of ID were reluctant to accommodate to the floor plan I had in mind. Keep fingers crossed :)

Hi Alternate,

No issues with HDB. As what El LoCo has mentioned, bathtub is in the Kitchen area thus it's not an issue. Also, you need to have a free-standing bathtub not the undermount kind. As for the Kitchen, because I am using a induction hob (electricity) instead of gas so no issues to move the kitchen to the living room.

Hi Alternate,

No issues with HDB. As what El LoCo has mentioned, bathtub is in the Kitchen area thus it's not an issue. Also, you need to have a free-standing bathtub not the undermount kind. As for the Kitchen, because I am using a induction hob (electricity) instead of gas so no issues to move the kitchen to the living room.

Thanks for the info! I hope it all turns out great! :)