Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
airbbb

Importing Counter Top And Tv Console Top (Marble/quartz) From China

Anyone know the challenges unique in importing Marble top and Quartz top from China to DIY? Who to hire to collect the heavy stones from customs and mount etc.

Plan to splurge on stone tops.

Once the measurements are right the mounting seems relatively straight forward:

http://www.bobvila.com/sections/tv-shows/projects/11-modern-colonial/episodes/131-kitchen-cabinetry-and-countertops/videos/1091398857001-installing-marble-kitchen-countertops#.VS_mW11kqLM

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w4004-9650706740.16.MH7Ab0&id=44349832325

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.59.GjWN4r&id=42870112815&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Open to constructive critiques.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Don mind my 2 cents worth of comment.

1) Kitchentop/worktop is typically weighs around 30-40kg per set. Prepare to get someone to carry with you.

2) Cracks are commonly found for residential imported tops. Such experiences are quite common for taobao users, whom did attempt to import from china, for worktops.As a result, engage local contractors to fix it but cant be fixed, so redo a new set.

3) Even if infrastructure can be resolved, ALL china quartz,marble,granite suppliers will only leave their good OEM goods for wholesalers, whom have a long term business with them. So overseas individual customer, unless the margin is lucrative, the chances are they will supply defective tops for them.

4) Installation is a straight-forward job. I would advise you to gather more orders from other forumers, or any interested parties and you guys buy in bulk. Attempt to let the china supplier knows that you are intending to do it for long term. In that case, he/she might or may supply you with reasonable quality tops.

The top i got from taobao/tmall had no cracks. It was packed very well- 1st layer form, 2nd and 3rd layer cardboard and 4th layer woodenframe.

More than 50% discount from what local reno was quotating me for similar china stuff.

Buying on tmall means you are buying from companies based in China and established companies on tmall take their ratings very seriously.

Of course try to review their feedback and chat with them that you plan to ship it over and pack it as good as possible.

Did you also imported your own floor tiles? Any tips to look out for?

tiles were harder because the cost savings weren't enough to tempt me.

If you really want to get tiles via taobao. Try to ask for some samples 1st.

The top i got from taobao/tmall had no cracks. It was packed very well- 1st layer form, 2nd and 3rd layer cardboard and 4th layer woodenframe.

More than 50% discount from what local reno was quotating me for similar china stuff.

Buying on tmall means you are buying from companies based in China and established companies on tmall take their ratings very seriously.

Of course try to review their feedback and chat with them that you plan to ship it over and pack it as good as possible.

Which shipper you use for countertop? How much did you pay for the shipping as well as the items you purchase? Where did you get the 2 holes cut?

Local black galaxy doing at $95 for kitchen tops.