Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Alexia10saggi

Interior Designer That Do Design First

Hi,

Appreciate some advice or comments.

We have been approaching a few IDs for quotations and realize that they tend to jump straight into the quotation...they will ask how big we want the tv feature wall..do we want false ceiling etc... I am still now quite undecided on some of these decisions because I don't have a clear idea of the overall look of my flat yet..

So are there any IDs or solo IDs that actually do design only for a lump sum fee? Then after confirm the design then go into detail for the construction/renovation quotation? Anyone know of any ID that works this way?

Many thanks!

Edited by Alexia10saggi

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think I understand where you are coming from.

Initially, when being approached by an ID, I seriously got no idea what I want for my house. I just give my floor plan and ask what other information they need. They never come back to me... :help:

I also thought that they will give us drawings, designs and conceptualise the house before we engage them. But later realise that this is not the way. The ID will not give you and designs unless you pay deposit to engage his service.

So, we house owner have to do our own homework too. Spend time to read other house owner's T-blog and go through some reno experience together with their pictures and stories. Search the web for pictures and see which are the designs/concepts that you like, save a copy. Ask questions like what you are doing now. :) Slowly you will be able to decide what is it that you want and what is it that you do not want.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

We have been approaching a few IDs for quotations and realize that they tend to jump straight into the quotation...they will ask how big we want the tv feature wall..do we want false ceiling etc... I am still now quite undecided on some of these decisions because I don't have a clear idea of the overall look of my flat yet..

So are there any IDs or solo IDs that actually do design only for a lump sum fee? Then after confirm the design then go into detail for the construction/renovation quotation? Anyone know of any ID that works this way?

Many thanks!

Hi Alexia,

I do know some IDs that may want to do design as you said. Are you still interested?

Hi,

Many thanks!

I have met people who claimed to be IDs but they couldn't draw or sketch a thing. These are really Sales Designers, as the name implied, whose objective is the selling rather than designing. Basically they would present the firm's portfolio, projects completed, all in 3D drawings and the client would pick out what he likes.

And then with the layout drawing, the whole thing is submitted to a back room operation which produces the 3D drawings for the client.

(Basically something like that as described; I didn't go further with a Sales Designer, so there may be gaps in the description.)

It should be obvious to some of you, what are the problems with this process.

Cheers!

The ID that I know do enjoy doing such designs.

Any interested party can sms or call him at330****. Mr Tan. And talk to him about the details.

Not necessary to get a contractor from him, but you can if you want to.

Good luck!

Hi all,

though i can fathom why ID usually dont provide sketches or drawing before quotation(can bring the sketches to another ID for a new quote =P), but as customers we still prefer it this way as we are new to our homes and want whats best for our new homes or homes to be.

i'm a tattoo artist and for those people who wants customised tattoo i usually will take a deposit for a sketch of the piece to be created as many of my previous customers take my work and go to other artist for the job.

however i feel ID shud at least be able to inspire customers to define what designs they may look for eventually, this will require experience and knowledge or else every one can just do it and get their own home fixed themselves.\

for those that have IDs that give free sketch first, do share such IDs!

hi Alexia,

your post has been some time back, but just in case you haven't yet had a confirmed design idea for your place, I would like to offer my freelance services for the overall design and conceptualizing of the space you dream of.

Just feel free to drop me a note / message if you are keen and we can definitely discuss further!

thank you!

charles

Hi,
Many thanks!