Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
j3r0m3

A Home! Not A House

Been contemplating whether to start this blog since it has been ages since I last blogged.

Nevertheless, the spirit of returning to 'society' prompted me to start and at the same time allows me to document the progress.

Another positive that I see, feedback from forummers will pick up things that I may have left out.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

First up,

The floor plan.

Floorplan%201_zpskuz48e1l.jpg

We bought a resale 4rm in the west and we felt we got a bargain. But that's besides the point.

The condition was run down but the original terrazzo flooring set us thinking about whether to replace or polish.

IMG-20150406-WA0000_zpsx3gtlutm.jpg

After speaking to a few IDs and contractors, the following conclusion was made. Terrazzo flooring is something which most younger IDs are not familiar with and hence they will all suggest hack or overlay with vinyl tiles.

The older contractors will say that those terrazzo in the days gone by (my flat is 32 years old) are all made with very good resin and the more you mop, the cooler the touch and feel of the flooring. Also the workmanship cannot be replicated now.

After considering costs, current situation ( 2 young mischievous children) and our future plans (unlikely to stay forever in this unit) we decided to skip the flooring and opt for acid wash and polishing to bring it back to its original shine.

IMG-20150407-WA0002_zpspag8ffyj.jpg

Living Room Flooring covered up

IMG_20150407_212321_zpsrtugdtow.jpg

IMG_20150407_212332_zpso4yqccuy.jpg

Bedroom 3

IMG_20150407_212337_zps47dt0fm4.jpg

Bedroom 2

IMG_20150407_212356_zps4c5t5h5c.jpg

Master Bedroom

I like terrazzo flooring, brings back a lot of good memories.

And I like your title. yes, it is a home, not just a house :D

I like terrazzo flooring, brings back a lot of good memories.

And I like your title. yes, it is a home, not just a house :D

Yea, being my second renovation, I realized that making everything pretty for the sake of housewarming is just going to mean that when it comes to cleaning up, the missus and I will push the responsibility to each other...

So I decided to be practical since we have 2 young girls which take up a lot of our energy. We would rather have fun memories watching them grow up rather than a life cleaning up our "show flat"

So as mentioned previously, we spoke to some contractors, some IDs and some in betweens.

Some of them are quite popular here in RT, and when i spoke to them, they are professional enough.

Just that the pricing is not right and some say they don't know what to do with the terazzo flooring.

In the end, we chanced upon a sponsored post in Facebook about some special promotion.

So we rushed to showroom and by luck, it seemed like there is a match between what we want and price.

So after 1 night, we decided to go with..........

* seems like forum rules prevent me from disclosing in public

Edited by j3r0m3

What the Hack!

We decided to hack the kitchen and the toilets whilst keeping the flooring for the other parts of the house.

IMG-20150410-WA0003_zpsx6kcj6uq.jpg

IMG_20150411_164136_zps7waqk2bq.jpg

Kitchen wall and floor hacked

After being poisoned by a few 'Amazonian' forummers here, it's my turn to take the plunge and my oh my, how addictive it can be?

The feeling of that first click stays with you and lingers long after it actually happened. Lol!

Thanks to Kim76, Ongcs, benetay, etc, I present....

My Amazon Hoot!

My 33" Kraus sink

IMG_20150406_121531_zpss7bdd7e7.jpg

IMG_20150406_122036_zpsxhu1a4da.jpg

IMG_20150406_122227_zpslunmtdk9.jpg

IMG_20150406_122336_zps6zqzzssl.jpg

My taps....

IMG_20150420_115921_zps363y50ro.jpg

IMG_20150420_115952_zps0brqaybo.jpg

Edited by j3r0m3

My Grohe taps for bathrooms...

Solid weight in the hands, flawless finish, it really feels very premium when you hold it.

Really happy with the purchase...

IMG_20150420_115459_zpsgaow0h8o.jpg

IMG_20150420_115450_zpszgnp5mlh.jpg

IMG_20150420_115444_zpsdvk5zvah.jpg