Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

FURNITURE (PT 1):

We are going for no build-ins except for the kitchen! I know most Singaporeans dislike IKEA, but I've always used them and kinda liked them. So I am shortlisting a lot of their items that fit our theme.

(1) Stocksund Sofa + Bench

Deciding between the 199cm version vs the 154cm. The former = I LOVE entertaining so I love the idea of a spacious, seat-abundant (LOL) living area. But at the same time, the latter would make our home feel so much more spacious and lengthen the living room. Bah! Decisions!

We also decided on a storage bench since it's 2-in-1, a coffee table of sorts (with a tray), but also comfortable to rest our legs, extra seating for when there's company and can stash some extra cushions or bibs and bobs. Also cannot decide between the dark grey and beige, but would probably buy two sets of the sofa covers since they're washable.

stocksund-two-seat-sofa__0286720_PE42322

stocksund-bench__0286622_PE423195_S4.JPG

(2) Replica Clear Ghost Chairs

For extra seating that doesn't take up visual room. Love it when paired with a comfy couch so that there's a juxtaposition of styles. If my living room is already way too cluttered, then either change up the storage bench at IKEA for a smaller coffee table or place these in my office!

00015%20The%20Everygirl%20-%20Laura%20Ba

(3) Faux Fireplace

Still wanted the "London" side to show through... The "classic" part of our design. Either our contractor is making one for us or I'll be "forced" to ship one from Taobao.

TB27eZrbpXXXXXZXpXXXXXXXXXX-2124162460.j

(4) Melltorp Table

Deciding on this compact one or an extendable table. As I said, I love entertaining so I love having people around and cooking for them. But my house is small so I don't want to clutter it too much. Think the living area is already probably too cluttered! Haha!

melltorp-table-white__0083480_PE209696_S

(5) Swivel / Retractable TV Wall Mount

Since my TV wall is very very small (160cm), when I entertain I want to be able to tilt the TV a bit outwards or at an angle so it's easier to view from all angles instead of only at the "corner." Still don't know which kind to buy... Anybody with good recommendations, please hit me up!! :)

Mount-It-Dual-Arm-Swivel-Wall-Mount-for-

To be continued... Haha!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I also bought 2 Panasonic TVs. After my research, I narrowed my TV selection to 3 brands, the 2 famous Korean ones and Panasonic. I find that the Panasonic one is value for money when comparing equivalent specs. My current Panasonic TV is surviving well too.

Btw, Panasonic should give you free wall mount + installation. U need not buy any unless as u mentioned, u want it to swivel.

I also bought 2 Panasonic TVs. After my research, I narrowed my TV selection to 3 brands, the 2 famous Korean ones and Panasonic. I find that the Panasonic one is value for money when comparing equivalent specs. My current Panasonic TV is surviving well too.

Btw, Panasonic should give you free wall mount + installation. U need not buy any unless as u mentioned, u want it to swivel.

Thanks bro! That's good to hear. Will go ahead with the Panasonic then. :good:

Yep, we're seeing if we can trade one of the mounts for something else! Haha.

LIGHTING:

Going with simplicity here -- maintenance- and fuss-free lights. Quickly settled all lights, don't require extra light points.

(1) Fanco 5-Blade Ceiling Fan with light (Aroma 54" white) x 3

Using this fan at our current rental and love it. Used to HATE ceiling fans with a vengeance (maintenance) and thought they looked ugly, but actually it looks kinda nice and saves space (since fan + light) for us. Since our area is very very windy, love having ceiling fan to make full use of the natural wind. One in the living room and one in each of the rooms.

AROMA-WH-2xnrvkixoljc6irpkn25my.jpg

(2) Philips Ceiling Light (308073166) x 4

For both toilets and service yard and storeroom - waterproof and easy to clean.

zob04i.png

(3) Philips Ceiling Light (307593166) x 2

For the kitchen and corridor (to the rooms).

ndlr9j.png

(4) Replica Tom Dixon Copper Ball Lamp Shade (35cm)

For the foyer/dining area.

Tom-Dixon-Copper-Shade-Light.jpg

Edited by bykaraanne

PICTURES OF BARE HOUSE (PT 1):

It's smaller than usual apartments people are used to here, since it's a 3R, but also a design challenge for me to maximize the space and make it beautiful. Some images here. We have zero built-in carpentry other than in our bathrooms and kitchen, so I am actually excited to start curating the decor pieces! I feel that the decor pieces are what makes a house a home so I really can't wait to start purchasing paintings / wall art for the place.

All my rooms (living and 2 BRs) have this view which I think is already a blessing. I can see super far down and there are no high rise developments nearby due to a school and Punggol Promenade. It was a bit hazy today so not the greatest picture, but still makes me feel good that I have some sort of a view. After the rooftop gardens are done, it'll hopefully be even nicer.

259anfr.jpg

Living Room is small but sufficient space for everything we need. Don't have to buy mini-sized furniture so thankful for that, but still keeping it as airy as possible.

2vj4od0.jpg

idytud.jpg

Kitchen is super teeny but with some design tweaks we're hopeful it's look at least bright and have a bit of character. Can't wait for my marble-esque counter top and gold hardware! I do love the accent tile they've provided so we're not going with any backsplash, and also struck off the overlaying of the kitchen floor tiles and wall. The floor tiles are nicer in person, a soft grey as opposed to a concrete grey.

net4ck.jpg

2us7bes.jpg

PICTURES OF BARE HOUSE (PT 2):

Common toilet looks great and we won't be overlaying here again, after seeing the actual pictures. Will be constructing a corner entry glass shower (non-sliding) and changing the toilet bowl. Didn't opt in for anything so no sink here too. We actually like the accent tiles chosen and how they were laid out. Workmanship is impeccable in our opinion (especially hearing so many horror HDB stories) so we count ourselves very blessed.

ifs5g6.jpg

MBR toilet is going through some upgrades since we're having a BATHTUB in here :dancingqueen: So excited for this!! We're overlaying the wall with the accent tile (which isn't ugly tbh) and the floor (which we don't really like).

301n79t.jpg

Master bedroom is small but adequate. We're both capsule wardrobe people so we're only having a movable (no built-in furniture for us :jammin: ) 1.6m wardrobe and a queen bed with two bedside tables, plus a small tv shelf / table for extra use if required. Trying to DIY my headboard!! Clean lines with classic touches.

x3brs9.jpg

Common Bedroom is small, but since it's my office, I cannot complain much (I've always only had a corner for my home office). I work from home so I'm SO excited to have this space to call my own. A sofa bed / couch will go in here for guests, and then a full desk, wall storage and a bookshelf. Playing with stripes on one wall here, so wanna see how the wall pops out. SO MANY DESIGN IDEAS :notti::notti:

2jcbogg.jpg

Corridor View from MBR

hvcak7.jpg

That's it for now. New nest! :dancingqueen:

Edited by bykaraanne

IKEA KITCHEN:

We are still torn on IKEA kitchen vs contractor's custom kitchen, only difference is interior fittings vs plywood, since price is not much difference for our teeny kitchen.

We love the interior fittings of the IKEA kitchens, and how all the kitchen accessories can fit in perfectly, and how we can see how it all looks like on paper, whereas we know we can afford to be "less careful" with the contractor's cabinets.

Kitchen countertops we're going with iQuartz Bianco Ariston, but they take a while to get back to us. Caesarstone is going to cost us almost 2x the price, and make our entire kitchen come in at about $6k, instead of $4k. What do you guys think? I do LOVE Caesarstone's marble-esque countertops, but the price diff is :jawdrop: and my contractor says CS is just a brand, quality also only so-so, just comes with limited lifetime warranty.

IKEA cabinets come with a 25-year limited warranty, and though Singaporeans generally dismiss IKEA as bad, my American clients + peers tell me that IKEA cabinets have been their best investment! :help: I am so torn!

Pics from IKEA planning today -- the blank top space will have open shelvings, the short wall will only use 39cm depth counters because I don't want my kitchen to be cramped.

2i87qrs.png

520ydy.png

2mqkk7a.png

There was once a house owner ordered Ikea customised carpentry for his kitchen. The installation was outsourced to third party vendor and turned up to be a nightmare. The workmanship was very poor beyond description but luckily Ikea recognized the defects and replaced the whole kitchen cabinet FOC with much better design and quality. It was reported in Stomp if I remember correctly.

If you run your fingernail across a iquartz and CS, you will find that CS is smoother as the pores are much much smaller. Smaller pores trapped less food debris and reduce the chances for bacteria to thrive. Another product which you may consider is the silestone. Their integrity sink looks very nice as well.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/quartz-products/integrity-quartz-sinks/

There was once a house owner ordered Ikea customised carpentry for his kitchen. The installation was outsourced to third party vendor and turned up to be a nightmare. The workmanship was very poor beyond description but luckily Ikea recognized the defects and replaced the whole kitchen cabinet FOC with much better design and quality. It was reported in Stomp if I remember correctly.

If you run your fingernail across a iquartz and CS, you will find that CS is smoother as the pores are much much smaller. Smaller pores trapped less food debris and reduce the chances for bacteria to thrive. Another product which you may consider is the silestone. Their integrity sink looks very nice as well.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/quartz-products/integrity-quartz-sinks/

I will call Silestone tomorrow to get a quote! Thanks for reminding me about Silestone. CS is just so much more expensive... I don't know if it's worth it.

And yes I read that! After this I think IKEA upped the QC of their contractors after too, since these sagas aren't good for PR right? And that's a good thing that you can get a brand new kitchen right? Contractors can just ignore you and pretend it isn't their fault...

Still torn!!! Don't know to choose between SS/CS or IQuartz

Or IKEA or contractor kitchen

:help::help:

Remember coming across another Tblog who mentioned using Ikea kitchen and the issues lies in the uneven walls of HDB and the fact that Ikea cabinets are all build perfectly.

So the main issue is the alignment on installation. Carpentry is better cos the installation is when the carpenters will adjust and make up for these uneven walls but ikea ones can't be helped.

Remember coming across another Tblog who mentioned using Ikea kitchen and the issues lies in the uneven walls of HDB and the fact that Ikea cabinets are all build perfectly.

So the main issue is the alignment on installation. Carpentry is better cos the installation is when the carpenters will adjust and make up for these uneven walls but ikea ones can't be helped.

I follow about half of what you're saying...

So does that mean the back of my IKEA cabinets will have a gap, or that my IKEA cabinets will be slightly slanted (meaning worktop is not 90 degree from the floor)?

I am not doing plinths if I go with IKEA, but asking my contractor to build a 6-8" cabinet base... Does that help?

Thanks for the input btw! :D

I follow about half of what you're saying...

So does that mean the back of my IKEA cabinets will have a gap, or that my IKEA cabinets will be slightly slanted (meaning worktop is not 90 degree from the floor)?

I am not doing plinths if I go with IKEA, but asking my contractor to build a 6-8" cabinet base... Does that help?

Thanks for the input btw! :D

IMG_0154_zpsn6g4lhzr.jpg

The gap I meant is highlighted in my "ugly drawing" as shown :).

Its mainly being able to flush the ends to the walls and not leaving a gap to be seen. But if HDB walls are slanted on the sides then when you place a factory manufactured cabinet with straight lines against a slanted wall you will see a gap due to the uneven surface.

Hope this helps :)

your 3 room looks huge! is it really 65sqm? mine's only 3150 for living room, 6700 in length and kitchen+yard is 3700. i probably have bigger toilets than yours but i would rather not if i have a choice :(