Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

You have a second-generation EM (square balcony/service yard) with no bomb shelter and in-unit rubbish chute.

Depending on your usage patterns, it might be feasible to buy items from JB if you travel there regularly for cheap petrol and groceries anyway. Many electrical items these days have only a one year warranty but if you don't use it often, it might not accumulate wear and tear to take advantage of warranty coverage. Take for example the KDK ceiling fan I got from an authorized distributor in JB - it was Malaysia warranty only, different in model number, exactly the same specifications, and half the price. If I was so inclined, I could bring it back to JB for warranty repair, or buy a second one and still be cheaper than an authorized fan in Singapore. And guess what, it has been in use for 5 years without a hiccup. The current exchange rates are just icing on the cake. Scout the prices there and see if the savings are worth the trouble, but don't make one huge purchase that attracts Customs attention or you might get hit by GST...

I highly recommend changing piping and electrical wiring, but the costs can be staggering, it could run you $3,000-5,000 (IIRC) depending on the amount of re-routing and in particular lighting points you want to have. Keep in mind that an ID that connects well with clients is only half the equation, he/she has to exercise good project management skills to realize the design within your budget.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi cleong,

Thanks and of course finding an ID that connects well is not the complete deal but at least its the good start and the rest will depend on when the job begins and that we would not be able to know until it all begins. We have communicated our tight timeline and our designer is aware of our situation so for the rest we can really only keep our fingers crossed.

Hoping a bigger firm means teams of workers to deploy to different projects and pray all submissions to HDB for approval gets approve without hassles too as we will be hacking and reforming walls and the roofing in the service balcony which is now converted to the home office.

We are currently in a 1st Gen EM so yes it is definitely a layout shift for us but we decided to take on this challenge and go ahead with the purchase. Thanks for the tips :)

For ceiling fans we are probably going with Haiku since we are only looking at 2 units so we turn them on for long hours so the cost savings is a small part in electricity terms and next of course is the design and the wind reach as we have tested them already together with the other brands as well.

As for some parts we plan to get them from TB so I think over in JB prices will be hard to match compared to TB and we personally find it a little too cumbersome having to drive in and out of JB for these purchases. So I guess at the end its a matter of choice. As long as it gets done :)

NEW FLOOR PLAN LAYOUT AFTER CHANGES

gallery_69102_815_84338.jpg

A very pathetic shower plus WC space in the new MBR toilet but we will make do with that to achieve the space planning changes we wanted out designer to help us achieve. Its a compromise and you win some you lose some. Just have to decide which are more important to you in the end I guess.

New Furnishings Required

We are moving most of our heavy equipments like our current fridge, washer, dryer, Smart TV so that leaves very little left for us to purchase.

1. Sofa

2. TV Console

3. Dining Table & Chairs
4. Ceiling Fans

5. 1 Wall Mount Fan

6. Air Con Units

7. Kitchen Sink & Mixer

8. 2 x Bath Wash Basin + Mixer

9. 2 x Shower sets

10. 2 x Instant Heater units

11. Master Bed Frame

12. Work Desk + Work Chair

Will come up with a list of purchases and short listed items soon in my next update together with some 3D drawings.

Thanks and yes will probably get it from Phylux or Big *** Fans depending on availability of stock which seems to be the main reason now for who gets the deal. Tried the SPIN and felt the wind was not constant flow but in spurts so was left very disappointed though design was great.

Ahh I see. To be fair about the Haiku fan though, I must say the gust isn't very strong but it's silent, maintains a constant flow of wind and cools a general area. Our Relite fans in the house are very noisy at full blast but do a good job of cooling the direct area under the fan. So just to manage expectations coz I must admit we were abit too idealistic with our expectations for our Haiku hahaha... (:

Edited by thehappykowple

Thehappykowple:

Fully understand what you mean by the cool breeze by the haiku.

We are ok and happy with that since a cool breeze in the dining to cool the area while having meals seem right and a low noise fan while asleep in MBR seems the right environment to be having as well :)

So I guess we have considered the angles before arriving at this decision :)

3D Designs

Posting up some 3D mock up of the designs for our new place. Not accurate as there are adjustments still to be made to what you see here. Of course color variations issues are there too as when scanned the computer picks up a different shade.

Our Small Petite Living Room for the Family

gallery_69102_815_40504.jpg

We decided to go with this as we felt dedicating a big space for living room or TV watching is a waste of space as we spend less than 30 mins a day on the TV with our kids. More time are spent in the play room with them instead so this is good enough for us. Considering we only have guest over on parties which are counted with a few fingers a year well this will do.

There are still changes to the door to the new MBR as we intend to go with a "Barn door" concept instead of the standard nyatoh wood door. Error in the ceiling as its a void space rather than the fully covered look you see in the 3D.

Dining Area

gallery_69102_815_52083.jpg

Because it would be difficult to get approval from HDB in terms of permits by trying to covert the current common bedroom into an extended kitchen which means a really big kitchen, we decided to go with a safe bed to keep this room a non kitchen area and convert it into our dining area. To save space and maximize space in the Kitchen area we will locate our fridge in this dining area as well.

Changes will be done to the frame separating the dining and kitchen as this look is too heavy on the otherwise clean design feel.

Changes to also the cabinet in this 3D & missing Dining set in the 3D

Walk in Wardrobe / MBR Toilet & Study Plus "Wet Area"

gallery_69102_815_81915.jpg

This is perhaps the area we love the most from the 3D we got. We love how our ID managed to make the whole are flow as 1 and achieve a very clean overall look to it.

Some minor changes but nothing major from the 3D. The brick walls in "wet area" is suppose to be a simple cement screed wall (save cost) plus its an outdoor area for the kids to play so its ok to keep it simple and let them mess around.

We carve out the "wet area" in the original service balcony now MBR study because the rubbish chute is there and instead of sealing it up we option to segregate the space so the MBR toilet dampness can escape from the window into this wet area as well where our new roofing will not cover.

Well this is us and what we are aiming to have in our new humble residence...

Common Toilet 2nd Level

gallery_69102_815_1080.jpg

This is the layout after hacking 2 into 1. The black patch behind WC is actually a wall and not a void as seen. Not much changes to this layout here.

Congrats doubleEM!

If your ID S from Three D Conceptwerkez is who I think she is, you have a good ID. I also engaged her, I like her design and she has many ideas. She is also on the ball.

Congrats doubleEM!

If your ID S from Three D Conceptwerkez is who I think she is, you have a good ID. I also engaged her, I like her design and she has many ideas. She is also on the ball.

Thank you ZzzMonster, that's what we thought and how we felt too thru our conversations with her.

Very personable and always ready with ideas if one doesn't work. That's what you wish to see in an ID.

Has she completed your project yet or still work in progress:)?