Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ZzzMonster

Second Home First Reno

After procrastinating for a long time, I finally decided to start a thread to document and share my reno journey... My reno is in the mid stage now...

I didn't do any reno for my first home, so now, willing to spend some of the money I didn't spend last time to renovate this new home.

I've been lurking around since 2011, I first join renotalk to search for contractors and ideas to renovate my bathroom. But not many contractors willing to do a small job, those that do, charge very high price. I finally found one, a referral from a colleague, his price is reasonable.

At that time, I also told him, I bought a new place, going to be TOP in 2015. So there is a chance for him to do my new place if renovation for my bathroom is done well. But unfortunately, he probably think it's a small job and gave it to his apprentice to manage. But his apprentice didn't do a good job. Thus, he effectively ruled himself out for my new home.

So over the years, I've been reading fellow renotalkers tblogs for ideas and asking for IDs and contractors contact.

Edited by ZzzMonster

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Kitchen - nothing to be done here

image.jpg3_2.jpg

Yard area - getting rid of the toilet bowl in the toilet, then shift washing machine inside the toilet. A cabinet will be built at the washing machine area for more storage

image.jpg4_2.jpg

Master bedroom

image.jpg6.jpg

image.jpg7.jpg

The other 2 rooms too small to take pic...

I do not know how to tell the IDs the theme I'm looking for so I ended showing them pics of what I want. This pics is taken from another website, the ID that did this is Hap Design.

image.jpg2_8.jpg

image.jpg1_13.jpg

ID Selection:

As mentioned in the first post, I've been lurking around the forum getting IDs and contractor contacts... I decided to go for ID because I don't have any design idea. Initially, I thought that my home will be ready by April. So if I thought if I start early to find an ID, I can sign up with one by December or January then no need to wait till last minute.

So, arm with a long list, I started to contact them last November. Some IDs I called are too busy, they either no time to meet or no time to call me back to arrange a meet up.

My wife doesn't want to get involved in this process, I went about meeting them myself. Because my time is flexible, I met them during office hours.

After meeting them, my conclusion (I may be wrong, this is just my opinion after meeting with the IDs) of IDs are:

1. Some are actually contractors who call themselves IDs. At most they provide some advise, some didn't... They just email me the quote, 1 of them email me quote + space planning, or go through with me quote + space planning

2. Those that I consider IDs are those that put the effort to understand the theme I want, do some sketches to show me what they plan to do for me, then followed by the quote

Because my work time is flexible, I met a total of 16 IDs. Below are a summary of the IDs I met...

1. W** C**** from 3D***** - recommended to me by my colleague. He asked me to email him my floor plan and requirements. When I met him, to my disappointment, he didn't look at my requirements. I need to go through with him what I want to do for every room (as I met up with more IDs, I realized all are the same). He told me he's going for a holiday and will come back to me in 2 to 3 weeks. But have not heard from him. I didn't want to follow up or chase people who have no interest, no point. - Drop

2. A*** L** from 9 C******n - got his contact from fellow renotalkers. Meeting was positive. After the meeting, I shortlisted him. But the manner he came back to me was not what I expected. He emailed me the quote and space planning. He didn't propose to meet to discuss further. So I do not know if he knows what I want or the theme that I am looking for. - Drop

3. N*** from R******z - a favorite from fellow renotalkers. He's not as laid back as described by others. Although we can click, it seems that we clicked so much that he tells me too much about his clients, etc... In the end, he emailed me 3-4 weeks later on the quote. Some stuff were missing from the quote as well. - Drop, because I need more than just a quote. I'm not sure if he understands my theme.

4. J******* from D***NT*** - another favorite from renotalk. After going through what I wanted, he said he'll get back to me in 2 weeks time. Didn't hear from him since. Drop

5. J**** from C**y L****g - got his contact from renotalk. Also didn't come back to me. Luckily, because got very negative review from a fellow forumer. But even if he comes back to me, I still will not get him because I met a few very impressive IDs. - Drop

6. S***** from T***e D C**********e - recommended by a fellow renotalker. This company has different IDs doing jobs for a few forumers. The first meet up was the same as other IDs. What impressed me was the second meeting. She showed me a mood board to see if the theme is what I'm looking for. And she got it right. She also showed me sketches of what she proposed for the various rooms that I want to do carpentry. She introduced to me stucco wall. And also shared with me the concept of space and explained to me why not to use all the walls in the room for carpentry, as it will be very tight.

7. J***** A** from A******k - called this company because initially I didn't get to meet much IDs. The company assign this ID to me. To cut the long story short, she didn't get back to me. - Drop

8. Hap Design - how can I not call them since I got the theme from them... The meeting was good. But they called me to say that they are swarmed with jobs. So they can't do the sketches and work out the quote. They said that if I don't have any options, give them more time, they'll do it. If I have, then they will forgo. But they say if need their advice, can ask them. I like their professionalism, better then those who didn't bother to get back. I asked them where they get the coffee tables and they shared with me. - a pity that I don't have chance to see their proposal

9. N** N*** from N*w N**w D***** - got contact from renotalk. First meeting same as others, she said will come back to me in 2 weeks. About 2-3 weeks later, she text me and said will get back to me in another week. But in the end, didn't come back. - Drop

10. K****** from T.A* D****** - recommended by ex-colleague. After meeting, he said will come back to me in 2-3 weeks. In the end, only come back to me 3 months later after I've signed up with my chosen ID. - Drop

11. J** C*** from T**m S*******e - got contact from renotalk. First meeting went well. In fact I shortlisted her as I think she understand what I wanted. But on the second meeting, she just showed me space planning and quote. So I don't know if she understand my theme and don't know how is her design. As the first meeting went well, I was hoping to see some sketches of the plan she had (if any) - Drop

12. I** from B**m - recommended by wifey's friend. We visited friend's house and like what we saw. Wifey's friend said ID is reliable throughout the reno process. We like the design of his house. So I arranged and met him. The first meeting was good, he shared with me some ideas and introduced me the idea of space. I was looking forward to the second meeting. When we met again, he showed me the sketches and design he planned for me. His design and ideas are very impressive. Unfortunately, it is not what I'm looking for. It's more of lifestyle design. If my home is bigger and has more space, I'll engage him. His quote is either the highest or second highest.

13. T**** L** from R***z - company is recommended by fellow renotalkers but ID assign by company. Had a good first meeting. He proposed a few things and said will do a nice ceiling design for me. I was hopful and looking forward to a second meeting... but didn't hear from him. - Drop

14. J**** Y* from P**s I******r D****n - recommended by uni friend. Have a good first meeting. Took longer to come back. On second meeting, she showed me sketches of what she planned for me. The design were impressive although it is off theme. The quotation came via email a few days later.

15. H***t L** - this company was casually mentioned by someone in renotalk. So I decided to check them out. The designers in this company work together on the projects. On the second meeting, they showed me the mood board and got my theme right. The design and sketches proposed were impressive. They showed me 2 options of design, and both are good. I must say, they are strong in design, though it can be quite daring. They also propose the use of an alternative to wall paper, which is refreshing to me. Their quote is either the highest or second highest.

16. V**** from O****e C**e - recommended by a colleague. Actually, she is the last ID I met. I actually didn't plan to meet any more ID. But during a lunch, my colleague showed me her 3D. I liked what I saw so I asked for the ID contact. First meeting was the usual. On the second meeting, I was disappointed as ID only showed me quotation and space planning. Then she showed me pics of past projects and said that my carpentry can be like this or like that or some of this and that. I had expected her to sketch something for me because she sold herself as an ID in the first meeting. - Drop

So the verdict.... I chose S***** from T**** D C************. She is chosen because of her design.

I'll say that if you compare their company price with the contractors I met that call themselves IDs, their price is above avenge. But if you compare them with actual IDs (i.e. IDs that show sketches of their design plan specially for your theme and home as part of their proposals, besides space planning), then their price is about the same.

Though there are another 3 who are strong, a few things plays a part, such as price, chemistry, responsiveness... She scored the highest to me.

I started my search in November and signed just after Christmas, about 2 months.

Edited by ZzzMonster

When I met the IDs, they are surprised that my wife didn't come along. When I told them I will make the decision, some accepted it, some were skeptical. I think that explains why some IDs didn't come back to me.

In fact, my ID was surprised that I signed the contract even though she didn't meet my wife in any of the discussion.

Edited by ZzzMonster

Congrats on the decision to start your Tblog ZzzMonster... :good:

Can read and know about your progress from here then after all we have the same ID but your project is more advance than mine so definitely vested interest haha.

Congrats on the decision to start your Tblog ZzzMonster... :good:

Can read and know about your progress from here then after all we have the same ID but your project is more advance than mine so definitely vested interest haha.

Thanks bro. I thought I'll do something to contribute after receiving so much from fellow renotalkers.

When I met up with all the IDs, I'll share with them my requirements and what I want to do for every room. Then I leave it to them to propose to me their plans.

My requirements:

1. Lots of storage - over the years, I've accumulated lots of stuff. My new home is smaller than current one. Even though I have been throwing a lot of things last few years, still have a lot. Hopefully, I can throw more over the next few weeks as I pack my stuff.

2. Easy to clean - as we do not have a domestic helper, we need to do area cleaning ourselves. So the design must not be too fanciful such that there are lines, holes, etc, whereby cleaning needs more effort.

3. No cove lighting - I'm doing L box, no cove. Dust will settle in the cove and needless to say, all the creepy crawllies...

Although my home is already done up, because of the need for storage, I need to do a lot of carpentry. That leads me to wonder why some IDs don't bother to come back to me because I understand that they can make a lot from carpentry.

Here's my reno works:

- Whole house L box...

Living area

- shoe cabinet

- TV console, feature wall

- storage

Dining area

- cabinet with altar, glass display, some open shelving and close cabinet

Yard

- dismantle the toilet bowl from the back toilet, build a base to put washing machine in the back toilet

- build a cabinet where the washing machine used to sit

Bedroom 3 (TV room)

Instead of having TV in the master bedroom, we'll put the TV here. I'll be watching my soccer here if wifey is watching her TV program in the living room

- TV console and feature wall

Bedroom 2 (Study and Wardrobe)

Because we have too much clothes, the wardrobe provided is not enough. So we are hacking off the wardrobe given and will build a bigger one. The study table will be by the window. Amongst all the IDs we talk to, my ID is the only one to propose this. I think other IDs didn't propose this as my window is full length. But my ID's idea of how the table should end off the window is unique and thus I accepted her proposal. Initially I wanted to build more shelving on the other empty wall, but ID propose not to as it will make the room cluttered. And the first draft 3D proved her point

- L shape wardrobe

- study table

Master bedroom

- bed head

- side table

- feature wall (my feature wall is going to be stucco wall, this wall is going to be ex, excited to see how it turns out)

- queen size bed with storage

Both bathrooms

- build vanity top and cabinet

Edited by ZzzMonster

My initial hope of getting keys in April didn't materialize. Instead got my keys in June.

Before I get my keys, ID gave me the first draft of 3D. In this first draft, she input some laminates she thought I would like based on my theme. Certain things are not bad whereas some needs changes...

Living area

image.jpg4.jpg

Dining area

image.jpg1.jpg

TV room

image.jpg3.jpg

Study and Wardrobe room - my ID is not someone who insist on her point of view, she'll just suggest and we make the final decision. One of her suggestion for this room was not to use all the walls for carpentry as it'll make the room look congested, but I insisted that I need more storage. So when the 3D is done up, it proved her point. I now decided to do away with the top hung cabinet

image.jpg2.jpg

Master bedroom - bed head and stucco wall for this is wrong, ID said, she wanted to give me alternatives and throw me this idea to see if I like it

image.jpg5.jpg

Edited by ZzzMonster

After I signed up with my ID, the next thing I did was to look at lights. So early this year I combed through the almost 90% of the shops in Jalan Besar, Balestier and Geylang. The lights I'm getting are LED down lights. There are many types in the market and the price varies. So it's interesting going to different shops to understand the lights they carry. In the end, I decided to get one that the housing and LED bulb is detachable. So if there's any problem with the light, I can take out the bulb and driver without removing the housing. This prevents damage to the false ceiling. The driver of this light also has the safety mark. This is is also more ex than the most others.

But when ID brought me to see lights, I changed my decision. More on this later...

Besides down lights, I need hanging lights for master bedroom and dining pendant lights. The lights that is available in the shops are not to my liking. Unfortunately, my mandarin sucks, can't go to TB.

We were in HK early June, since its free and easy trip, I decided to spend one afternoon looking at lights and found what I like.

Bought 3 of these for dining pendant

image.jpg2_4.jpg

Bought 3 of these also, 2 for bedroom, 1 for balcony

image.jpg1_7.jpg

Edited by ZzzMonster

I also need ceiling fans. Current home using standing fan, but because new home is smaller, no space for standing fan.

The fans that I got are...

Haiku for living and dining area

image.jpg1_4.jpg

Spin for master bedroom

image.jpg1_5.jpg

Vento Fino for TV room

image.jpg2_2.jpg

When we got the key, my wife got involved and met ID for the first time when we choose laminates and paint colors.

This is the second round of 3D. Still not about right but very close. The final laminates we chose in some areas are different from this second round of 3D...

Living area - although I like this laminate, wifey doesn't. So final laminate chosen is different

image.jpg5.jpg

Dining area

image.jpg2.jpg

TV room - somehow the 3D doesn't show the correct laminate, final outcome will be different

image.jpg1.jpg

Study and Wardrobe room

image.jpg4.jpg

Master bedroom - we like this stucco wall effect, hopefully the real thing will be as nice. Bed head and bed frame laminate will be changed though, I find it too plain

image.jpg3.jpg

Edited by ZzzMonster