Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks for the links to your home renos, guys! I look forward to reading them :)

Also, regarding contacts - I'll share my Prosterroster contacts when he's started doing some work! Need some personal validation before I feel comfortable recommending him :) Doubledew, let me know if you still want Mr Y's contacts though, will buzz you if so.

Will write a longer post about other things tomorrow! Goodnight everybodeh

Edited by Peachydurians

What I Learnt From Renotalk Seniors

The following is what I've picked up from many happy hours of reading Renotalkers home journeys. Credit especially goes to those who have shared these specific points. This post is a consolidation of what I found most helpful!

In order:

1) ID vs Contractor

2) Contract stuff

3) Lobangs

1) ID vs Contractor

We were initially looking at IDs, cuz that was the standard thing to do. Only after surfing t-blogs did I realise contractor-only was a definite option! I think some homeowners considering between the two may be concerned about two things: 3D drawings and difference in amount of time invested. For the first, I believe even the most basic contractor will provide sketches, so as long as you have a fairly good eye for colours, you can fill in the black-and-white to coloured drawings in your own mind. What helped us significantly was our own research. After a lot of (read: A LOT of) browsing, we realised there was a pattern of styles we find attractive. Also, around the same time we realised what kind of home we want. We know we want a homey place, we're not concerned about sticking to a theme (hence the tag of Chapalang on this t-blog), and we want as much space with smart storage as we can in a 4-room BTO. So these were some parameters we started fitting our ideas/mood board around! And anyway it's nice to see pretty homes/renovations, so research was not stressful at all haha.

For the second point, a number of people have said that ID is much easier on your time because they will settle everything for you, whereas for contractors you have to do a lot more stuff. Regarding this, I don't have enough experience to comment, but I reckon it's true enough, and more importantly, some people enjoy and have the capacity to be involved in each step of the reno journey, while others may max out at all the details/are simply too busy. For the latter, maybe an ID will aid your home journey?

2) Contract stuff:

The following quotes are taken directly from t-blogs, but I'm terribly sorry to say that I didn't include the names of the people who wrote them and now I can't remember! :(( So sorry, if you know whose these quotes are, please let me know and I will rectify itt.

"I would highly recommend you ensure your ID gives you a week by week schedule of everything. He will definitely give you a payment schedule. You in turn should demand a completion of works schedule."

"I suggest you take the contract home to read, then add the clauses you want. IDs will expect you to sign the document on the spot. Tell them you want to carefully read through it. I think 9 times out of 10 people will just sign on the spot. This will add time to the process, but if you want to really protect your interests, you've got to set that time aside."

Prosterroster K's contract was simple and straightforward, so the second quote doesn't really apply to us, but maybe IDs are complicated? I dunno haha. But I did benefit from the advice of a week by week schedule; it's a simple addition that will help both sides be clear about the progress, and that's good, I should think. So yup, I'd add my recommendation to that advice!

We're also going to sign our contract after lunch today :paint: If all goes according to plan!

3) Lobangs

Taobao is Renotalkers' favourite! But my Mandarin is chui/laoyapok max, so I cannot help anyone in this regard :( BUT, here is an address of a place in JB which apparently gives half-price lighting! And fans! If I go I will review the place okay. Meanwhile,

TAMPOI LIGHTING CENTRE
2, 4 & 6, Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1, Taman Tampoi Indah, Johor Bahru, 81200
Johor Bahru, Johor, 81200, Malaysia +60 7-241 8999
Business hours:
Mon Sat: 10:00 am 9:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am 9:00 pm

________

Okies, that's all from me! Many thanks once again to senior Renotalkers who have been so generous with their knowledge! I'm excited to think that mine will be starting soon too :)

Love,

The Bookworm

P.S The Brilliance is currently facing his computer screen, playing ShiGGa Shay's Lion City Kia and Lim Peh, and all I'm hearing is wa si lim peh...on repeat. So distracting.

What I Learnt From Renotalk Seniors

The following is what I've picked up from many happy hours of reading Renotalkers home journeys. Credit especially goes to those who have shared these specific points. This post is a consolidation of what I found most helpful!

In order:

1) ID vs Contractor

2) Contract stuff

3) Lobangs

1) ID vs Contractor

We were initially looking at IDs, cuz that was the standard thing to do. Only after surfing t-blogs did I realise contractor-only was a definite option! I think some homeowners considering between the two may be concerned about two things: 3D drawings and difference in amount of time invested. For the first, I believe even the most basic contractor will provide sketches, so as long as you have a fairly good eye for colours, you can fill in the black-and-white to coloured drawings in your own mind. What helped us significantly was our own research. After a lot of (read: A LOT of) browsing, we realised there was a pattern of styles we find attractive. Also, around the same time we realised what kind of home we want. We know we want a homey place, we're not concerned about sticking to a theme (hence the tag of Chapalang on this t-blog), and we want as much space with smart storage as we can in a 4-room BTO. So these were some parameters we started fitting our ideas/mood board around! And anyway it's nice to see pretty homes/renovations, so research was not stressful at all haha.

For the second point, a number of people have said that ID is much easier on your time because they will settle everything for you, whereas for contractors you have to do a lot more stuff. Regarding this, I don't have enough experience to comment, but I reckon it's true enough, and more importantly, some people enjoy and have the capacity to be involved in each step of the reno journey, while others may max out at all the details/are simply too busy. For the latter, maybe an ID will aid your home journey?

2) Contract stuff:

The following quotes are taken directly from t-blogs, but I'm terribly sorry to say that I didn't include the names of the people who wrote them and now I can't remember! :(( So sorry, if you know whose these quotes are, please let me know and I will rectify itt.

Prosterroster K's contract was simple and straightforward, so the second quote doesn't really apply to us, but maybe IDs are complicated? I dunno haha. But I did benefit from the advice of a week by week schedule; it's a simple addition that will help both sides be clear about the progress, and that's good, I should think. So yup, I'd add my recommendation to that advice!

We're also going to sign our contract after lunch today :paint: If all goes according to plan!

3) Lobangs

Taobao is Renotalkers' favourite! But my Mandarin is chui/laoyapok max, so I cannot help anyone in this regard :( BUT, here is an address of a place in JB which apparently gives half-price lighting! And fans! If I go I will review the place okay. Meanwhile,

TAMPOI LIGHTING CENTRE

2, 4 & 6, Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1, Taman Tampoi Indah, Johor Bahru, 81200

Johor Bahru, Johor, 81200, Malaysia +60 7-241 8999

Business hours:

Mon Sat: 10:00 am 9:00 pm

Sun: 11:00 am 9:00 pm

________

Okies, that's all from me! Many thanks once again to senior Renotalkers who have been so generous with their knowledge! I'm excited to think that mine will be starting soon too :)

Love,

The Bookworm

P.S The Brilliance is currently facing his computer screen, playing ShiGGa Shay's Lion City Kia and Lim Peh, and all I'm hearing is wa si lim peh...on repeat. So distracting.

yeah!!! so you also move into the next phase of your renovation. Congratulation

I notice lots of people here go to Tampoi Lighting, keep up update and take some photo to share share ya.

Hey, thanks Titan501! Are you on yours too?

Haha....no

Still waiting for my key

But hopefully can shortlisted few id/contractor & reno ideas 1st.

Very enjoyed to see ppl happily sharing their reno journey

Lights, Basins, Tiles!

Busy busy day. We bought all our tiles, toilet and kitchen hardware, took a look at lights and tables (I really like wood tables).

1. Tiles

From today, I realised that so much can hinge on so little. For example, the Brilliance had wanted concrete looking tiles in a light gray, but today, when we went, they were sold out and wouldn't come for a few more months. So, in the end, we went for an off-white/cream one.

20150813_203530.jpg

With one switch, the entire home is reframed. We will now have a light coloured floor, and I'm dreading all the fallen hair showing up on it :( haiz. Enough whining. Suck thumb and sweep. Next - our bathroom combi!

20150813_204203.jpg

The front tile is our accent shower wall, the dark tiles will take up the entire right wall, and the light cream will take up the rest of the walls. The Brilliance thinks we're going to have a hotel bathroom. haha. We also got a matte black rainshower! Lemme try to find a stock photo online.

screenshot-2015-08-13-at-21-26-02.png

Okies that's not exactly it, but approximate enough. We're going to have a matte black tap to match the rainshower, an oval standalone white ceramic sink place atop a (most prob) matte black cabinet. Yup! That's our master bathroom. Common bathroom will be same tiles sans accent and placed differently, with HDB sink and shower remaining.

The kitchen stuff was tougher because I'd initially been looking for a 2x2 hob, then settling for a 1 by 2 (total 3) hob set. But the only one available and in a good size was made of enamel, compared to the Fujioh cast iron parts which felt much, much sturdier! Cut the long story short, I settled for a 2 hob Fujioh set in black with slim hood (also black). Guess my stews will have to be, well, stewed in a slow cooker somewhere else. Or the Brilliance and his future children will be eating a lot of one pot meals haha! Photo of hob:

792GL-hob%20s.JPG

And ohoh, lemme show you my sink tap!

412yE6kPGJL._SY300_.jpg

Looks ungainly and weird right?! But it's so expensive! And I had no idea until the Brilliance informed me afterward! :jawdrop: I felt really really bad but he assured me that he'd taken the price into account when he agreed to it. I guess I'm blessed my man is a generous guy. I better use that tap until the metal itself got holes man.

Our last tiles purchased (planned): peranakan backsplash. Example:

20150813_124943.jpg

We didn't get any today because the shop had run out. We'll be going to a different shop another day. I wonder which tiles I'll end up with. This is likely to be my kitchen combination:

Off-white/cream homogenous tile (photo 1) as floor, cream cabinet (lower), peranakan backsplash, wood cabinet (upper). Any opinions? I must say I've never seen any kitchen like the one I've just described!

Oh and renotalk says I've posted more photos than I'm allowed to so I'll end off my post in a part 2 below.

Love,

the Bookworm

Edited by Peachydurians

Same thing happened for us with our hexagonal tiles at Hafary but thankfully we found a more suitable color at LSH down the block! :) Whew...

Good luck for the quest...

Same thing happened for us with our hexagonal tiles at Hafary but thankfully we found a more suitable color at LSH down the block! :) Whew...

Good luck for the quest...

Yeah ikr! Sometimes I wonder what if we were a little more insistent with our plans..

So - for our last trip, we went to the Helping Hand near Kovan MRT, to check out their furniture. Their tables are beautiful! It's very similar to this:

hard-wood-dining-table-factory.jpg

Incredibly gorgeous right??? They make it themselves! This was going for $1 350, if I remember correctly. With a 25% discount? About 1k in the end? Can compete with any branded shop, I should think. They also have bookcases, consoles and other stuff. Oh, and airplants! Airplants rock.

We'll probably be making a second trip for lights tomorrow, and I'll take photos then. I have a couple of what-ifs in my head - what if we had insisted on light gray tiles, what if we had taobaoed/amazoned/walked around a lot more. We might have saved hundreds of dollars, we would probably have a home closer to the ones in our head. And had a lot of tired fun along the way? I don't regret any of our purchases though, so I guess I just want to drag this reno journey because I like it so much, haha.

Oh, and I just want to thank Prosterroster K, our contractor, who has been more like our interior designer so far, giving us valuable tips and advice. A lot of our questions are very duh after he explains why our this idea cannot work, why that suggestion is not feasible, etc. (A lot of my ideas are outlandish.) Can't imagine if we had gone around on our own; a lot of our purchases would have been oversized and wasted. He has been really patient and supportive!

Hacking begins next Thursday, pending HDB approval! Yay :)

Love,

the Bookworm

Edited by Peachydurians

Yeah ikr! Sometimes I wonder what if we were a little more insistent with our plans..

Then he might have to take you to another tile shop because these days there are more shops to choose from...wanna try to change your mind tomorrow with them :)

I feel you should maximize all your alternatives before bending over on such a important decision..