Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

May I know where will you be getting those matt black shower head and taps?

They look so nice!!!

Lights, Basins, Tiles!

Busy busy day. We bought all our tiles, toilet and kitchen hardware, took a look at lights and tables (I really like wood tables).

1. Tiles

From today, I realised that so much can hinge on so little. For example, the Brilliance had wanted concrete looking tiles in a light gray, but today, when we went, they were sold out and wouldn't come for a few more months. So, in the end, we went for an off-white/cream one.

20150813_203530.jpg

With one switch, the entire home is reframed. We will now have a light coloured floor, and I'm dreading all the fallen hair showing up on it :( haiz. Enough whining. Suck thumb and sweep. Next - our bathroom combi!

20150813_204203.jpg

The front tile is our accent shower wall, the dark tiles will take up the entire right wall, and the light cream will take up the rest of the walls. The Brilliance thinks we're going to have a hotel bathroom. haha. We also got a matte black rainshower! Lemme try to find a stock photo online.

screenshot-2015-08-13-at-21-26-02.png

Okies that's not exactly it, but approximate enough. We're going to have a matte black tap to match the rainshower, an oval standalone white ceramic sink place atop a (most prob) matte black cabinet. Yup! That's our master bathroom. Common bathroom will be same tiles sans accent and placed differently, with HDB sink and shower remaining.

The kitchen stuff was tougher because I'd initially been looking for a 2x2 hob, then settling for a 1 by 2 (total 3) hob set. But the only one available and in a good size was made of enamel, compared to the Fujioh cast iron parts which felt much, much sturdier! Cut the long story short, I settled for a 2 hob Fujioh set in black with slim hood (also black). Guess my stews will have to be, well, stewed in a slow cooker somewhere else. Or the Brilliance and his future children will be eating a lot of one pot meals haha! Photo of hob:

792GL-hob%20s.JPG

And ohoh, lemme show you my sink tap!

412yE6kPGJL._SY300_.jpg

Looks ungainly and weird right?! But it's so expensive! And I had no idea until the Brilliance informed me afterward! :jawdrop: I felt really really bad but he assured me that he'd taken the price into account when he agreed to it. I guess I'm blessed my man is a generous guy. I better use that tap until the metal itself got holes man.

Our last tiles purchased (planned): peranakan backsplash. Example:

20150813_124943.jpg

We didn't get any today because the shop had run out. We'll be going to a different shop another day. I wonder which tiles I'll end up with. This is likely to be my kitchen combination:

Off-white/cream homogenous tile (photo 1) as floor, cream cabinet (lower), peranakan backsplash, wood cabinet (upper). Any opinions? I must say I've never seen any kitchen like the one I've just described!

Oh and renotalk says I've posted more photos than I'm allowed to so I'll end off my post in a part 2 below.

Love,

the Bookworm

Hi,

May I know where will you be getting those matt black shower head and taps?

They look so nice!!!

Hi Munger,

From PH Bathroom Gallery! 648 Geylang Road. :)

Then he might have to take you to another tile shop because these days there are more shops to choose from...wanna try to change your mind tomorrow with them :)

I feel you should maximize all your alternatives before bending over on such a important decision..

DoubleEM! I read through your t-blog and realised that you also used peranakan backsplash for your kitchen! How cool is that haha.

Love the toilet tiles choice, for floor have you consider just using cement screed?

Ya have, but it's too bold for my better half haha. He says we can stick to the cream tiles and he will vacuum once a week hahahaha

Hi Five! Let's hope the effect turns out well. We went with this as an alternative suggestion from our ID instead of the usual white we wanted.

No subway tiles for us cos too much grout lines and cleaning will be cumbersome.

Ya have, but it's too bold for my better half haha. He says we can stick to the cream tiles and he will vacuum once a week hahahaha

Maybe you should ask him to invest an iRobot or something similar so he can sit back and relax, and you going to have clean clean floor everyday. :jammin::jammin:

Congrats on your new home Peachydurians and good luck on your renovation. My hubby and I love to read too and did a big book shelves to display our books :)

Hihi, yeah looking forward to seeing your bookshelf on your t-blog! :)

Hi Five! Let's hope the effect turns out well. We went with this as an alternative suggestion from our ID instead of the usual white we wanted.

No subway tiles for us cos too much grout lines and cleaning will be cumbersome.

Actually.... we might be going a super u-turn and using craftstone for our backsplash... HAHA

Maybe you should ask him to invest an iRobot or something similar so he can sit back and relax, and you going to have clean clean floor everyday. :jammin::jammin:

Yeah I said that from the start, but apparently the best, LG, is 1k, which scares me! So ex!

Nice tiffany hanging lights...

Craft stone for back splash...wow have you considered the cleaning aspect of the uneven surface? But if you seldom cook then it is not as big a concern.

Thanks guys! :) :) :)

Now we're thinking of getting one more tiffany lamp for our toilet, but - tiffany lights are hard to find! I hadn't realised :(

Does anyone know of shops with tiffany lights? The proper hand-crafted kind. Help much appreciated! :help:

_

In other news, hacking begins tomorrow. It's also the day we fly to Chiang Mai to visit family friends! Will be gone for a week+. Expect photos of new house layout, floors, maybe manhattan craftstone and finalised sketches then! Yayy.

P/S Kitchen backsplash is still bugging me. I'd wanted peranakan tiles, but now that we're shifting towards a tiffany kinda house, I don't know if they will clash! Do peranakan tiles go with tiffany lights?

Thanks guys! :) :) :)

Now we're thinking of getting one more tiffany lamp for our toilet, but - tiffany lights are hard to find! I hadn't realised :(

Does anyone know of shops with tiffany lights? The proper hand-crafted kind. Help much appreciated! :help:

_

In other news, hacking begins tomorrow. It's also the day we fly to Chiang Mai to visit family friends! Will be gone for a week+. Expect photos of new house layout, floors, maybe manhattan craftstone and finalised sketches then! Yayy.

P/S Kitchen backsplash is still bugging me. I'd wanted peranakan tiles, but now that we're shifting towards a tiffany kinda house, I don't know if they will clash! Do peranakan tiles go with tiffany lights?

Hi Bookworm! Your theme is positively delightful, and I can't wait for the wheels to start turning! I bought a tiffany lamp from Bangkok about 5 years ago (there were quite a number of shops selling vintage glass lamps at the night market) and pretty sure it was the real deal! - however, seeing that **** has just been unleashed on the city of angels, I'm not sure you really wanna go there at this point :unsure: ... Your second best bet would be Ebay, followed by Etsy (genuine stuff but a bit pricey tho..).

I don't see why tiffany lamps won't work with perankan tiles - I felt the centrepiece you chose had a great combo of earthy tones. If you pick a neutral shade for the decorative tiles, and avoid going all "Swensen's" on your lamps, I'm certain it's going to look charming!! Having said all this, I always feel that a home should ultimatley reflect the owner's personality - it's YOURS and ought to be uniquely YOU. So don't worry if you think it looks crazy, just go for it!

Have a restful holiday and looking forward to more updates when you're back :P

Hi

Looking forward to see the rest of the progress of your renovation.

Can you PM me the contacts of A and Y?

Will wait patiently for you to release K's contact.

Thanks!