Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sapphire89

Nordic Crush

I also shortlisted the HEMNES day bed for my study/guest room! Saw it on HGTV and thought it looked really nice :D

Oooo what a busy weekend and it's been so fruitful!

We've finally booked our actual day package for the wedding next year. Went with the same one as we did our pre-wedding photoshoot. I see wings sprout from our money! *Kaching Kaching* :bleah:

As we had our HLE letter for the flat reassessed via the HDB portal and over emails, we were informed of the approval and I went into the portal to check the new letter only to find that our appointment date to collect the keys was approved for end of the month. Can you imagine the "OMG OMG OMGs" that were going through my mind. Straight screenshot and sent to the fiance~ Totally over the moon! :yeah:

Side story for some couples out there~ When we first applied for our HLE, the fiance hadn't graduated and I'd only started my job for about 3 months. so the HLE amount was puny! Anyway, when it got automatically reassessed a month or so back, HDB, I don't know if they weren't thinking or what, but they managed to automatically re-approve the HLE without changing anything. They should have realised that the HLE was based on a single income and also they knew that both of us now had CPF contributions as their letter added both our CPF amounts together! What a contradiction in a single letter! They should do more homework and improve this. The appeal was painless and swift via the portal but it would have save us all time if they got it right the first time round. If anyone needs advice on the reassessment, do PM me :) Now, back to the main story...

We walked around looking at TVs in Best and Harvey Norman who were on sale all weekend~ I suspect they're on sale every weekend... Hmmm... :huh: We were sort of looking at the TVs to gauge the sizes and we've come to a conclusion that we need at least a 48 inch one but a 50 inch one would suit us best. As usual, the Samsung ones are a tad too expensive and visual's a little supersaturated but we are halfway sold on a Sony Bravia TV which looks pretty good. 50' going at $1500 (sale price). We're hoping to find something about 200 bucks cheaper but if we can't find anything, we will likely just go back for this one.

Finally, to complete the mood boards for my place today~

We're left with the 2 guestrooms one of which we're converting to our study and another we're using as a guestroom. We're leaving the common toilet as it is only installing a sliding L shaped screen in the shower area and also we're self doing the acrylic panes to replace the unsightly mesh HDB contractors use to hide the pipes. Our ID's recommended this place which a number of T-bloggers here have used as well. For the master toilet, we will be replacing the vanity sink that's come with toilet fittings that HDB have installed, replacing with our own vanity and mirror set that the ID will be designing. The counter top will be Kompacplus. Lurvesss! Finally, we're installing a swing door shower screen as well. Hopefully, we'll be able to make our master toilet cosy!

Reason we're doing up the remaining 2 rooms ourselves is the cost involved in doing carpentry work and also cause we didn't want something very permanent. I also wanted to have a hand in doing the decorating. Years of playing the Sims actually gets put to good use in real life. The guestroom especially would eventually make way for our future kids and will need to grow with them. The study on the other hand, we've got loads of books which only increases as we get older and we'd like to make the study something of a library. You won't believe it costs more than $3k just to build a full height, full length bookcase! Actually, you probably would but I'd rather think of other ways and if I can't, I'll get the ID to just build me one nearing the end of the renovations.... Fingers crossed!

So the guestroom will need to have the following and we're going to IKEA decorate the place since it's cost effective and also easily replaceable.

The concept will be something like this...

One of the walls will be painted grey the rest will remain white. We'll put in a daybed/sofa/single/double bed in one corner. Plush cushions all over. Light drapes on the windows which will be a translucent white day curtain and a darker grey blackout curtain. We'll be putting in an armchair in the corner with a standing lamp next to it by the window for our guest to chill out and read maybe? We will also have a dresser with a mirror resting on top which will serve as a vanity area. We'll also be getting a hanging rack so that our guests can hang up their clothes etc. This will be something like the Scandinavian clothes shops sort of hanging racks~

I just have to add that this HEMNES day bed is absolutely great. There are storage options, and also depending on the number of guests, we can also pull this out into a double bed. A great use of space.

gallery_68382_875_16748.jpg

gallery_68382_875_28394.jpg

gallery_68382_875_54778.jpg

We'll also be adding some art maybe recreating the photo ledge that we have in the dining area to this room so that we can swap the pictures around once in awhile. I'm thinking of soft colours for the art in this room to bring some life and Iris Grace paintings/prints seem like the way to go. The paintings are lovely and also they're for a good cause so why not!

As for the study, we're going for a library sort of look in this room so we will have a full wall bookcase down one length.

My idea of nice book cases doesn't have doors. The fiance says I'll need to do the dusting. *Pouts*

gallery_68382_875_81507.jpg

gallery_68382_875_230077.jpg

I'll also be getting this from IKEA. I'm picking the solid wood top as we all know their plywood tops are hopeless! Also the solid wood top has lovely wood grains which fits into the house theme perfectly.

gallery_68382_875_1697.jpg

That's all folks! Next up initial ID reviews! Look forward to the next piece!

XOXO,

Sapphira

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I also shortlisted the HEMNES day bed for my study/guest room! Saw it on HGTV and thought it looked really nice :D

The only thing I'm worried about is whether you can get correct sized bed linens apart from the ones at IKEA. I heard there are size differences in the length of the mattress! Something which I have not figured out yet!

Edited by sapphire89

The only thing I'm worried about is whether you can get correct sized bed linens apart from the ones at IKEA. I heard there are size differences in the length of the mattress! Something which I have not figured out yet!

Its quite easy to buy the bed linens nowadays, they have ready stock for almost any size in term of the height and length of the matress. Its not like last time when they sell only certain dimension of standardise linens.

Choosing an Id is not an easy job, make sure in your quote, they list down every bit of information, example the dimension, the type of material use, the type of finishing, it should be as detailed as possible.

Some of the ID will say, no need to be so detailed... if too detail, they cant charge you cheaper, cause they will say by not putting every detail on paper, they can help to close one eye if the final results needs additional cost.

Its quite easy to buy the bed linens nowadays, they have ready stock for almost any size in term of the height and length of the matress. Its not like last time when they sell only certain dimension of standardise linens.

Choosing an Id is not an easy job, make sure in your quote, they list down every bit of information, example the dimension, the type of material use, the type of finishing, it should be as detailed as possible.

Some of the ID will say, no need to be so detailed... if too detail, they cant charge you cheaper, cause they will say by not putting every detail on paper, they can help to close one eye if the final results needs additional cost.

Hi Ahyong81,

Thanks for the help! I've always wondered why people advise against IKEA's mattresses because of the size. Thanks for clearing that up!

What I like about my current ID is that they unitize everything they will be doing including the per unit/per foot cost before multiplying out. To me it makes everything every transparent.

:D

Hi Ahyong81,

Thanks for the help! I've always wondered why people advise against IKEA's mattresses because of the size. Thanks for clearing that up!

What I like about my current ID is that they unitize everything they will be doing including the per unit/per foot cost before multiplying out. To me it makes everything every transparent.

:D

Yes, that will be good, one of ID i went,the id say the boss got a new system for quotation, dont need to include the information like the material use or dimension, this way the quote can be cheaper, however when i request for detailed information, they price increase by nearly 10k

i was browsing through the ikea website earlier and i found that ikea now sells the coloured geometric mirrors you may be looking for - http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/40182060/

otherwise, i bet you could find alternatives from Taobao :)

Also that geometric copper mirror pattern on the wall. It so pulls in the pink and peaches in the room. I think IKEA sells the geometric mirrors but how do I copper-fy it? Any advice?

Just like in the picture, I'm going to place my dining area right behind the sofa so it takes up the area that was meant by HDB for us to use as a study. A big wooden table it is!

gallery_68382_875_385050.jpg

i was browsing through the ikea website earlier and i found that ikea now sells the coloured geometric mirrors you may be looking for - http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/40182060/

otherwise, i bet you could find alternatives from Taobao :)

Ooo... I was walking around in IKEA during the weekend and didn't spot it! Will go back and look again!! Thank you!! Weekend crowds at IKEA's terrible!

Halo, may I know the name of ID firm u engaged?

Hello yeemei67! PM-ed you!

We've finally got our keys! Victory dance!! :dancingqueen:

We went for our HDB appointment on Saturday and visited our new place! We're such proud homeowners and we absolutely love the place! Lucky us, so far, we haven't found any obvious defects and the small ones are really not worth the effort of getting them rectified. We've got a couple of neighbours that have found hollow tiles but I haven't been thorough enough maybe so I haven't found any :S I'm so worried! Is this normal or am I just lucky? We've got a small portion of unevenness on the kitchen wall which we plan to knock down anyway so that's no need for rectification to be done.

We've also received our first draft 3Ds and while they need to be revised, we're starting to see the end product that we can expect.

Here's some photos of our place that we want to show off!

Main door~

Space between the main door and the gate is good so we're going to look into electronic locks to install. Saves us the hassle of carrying keys!

gallery_68382_875_22856.jpg

Bomb Shelter right next to the door... We're so going to paint that over and remove the ventilation piece that is jutting out so that we achieve a flushed look.

gallery_68382_875_30525.jpg

Living and Dining area

gallery_68382_875_11221.jpg

Corridor (and our offerings for peace and prosperity)

gallery_68382_875_43658.jpg

Can't wait to take this wall down! There's a slight nick in the walls which technically we can ask to rectify but who cares we're knocking it down anyway!

gallery_68382_875_6306.jpg

Our to be study room.

gallery_68382_875_17987.jpg

More photos in next post!

Continuing from previously...

Guest Bedroom

gallery_68382_875_5209.jpg

Master Bedroom

gallery_68382_875_36641.jpg

Master Bathroom - look at that ugly sink! So glad I'm taking it down!

gallery_68382_875_8959.jpg

Common Bathroom

gallery_68382_875_13972.jpg

Finally, can you notice the tiny spots which are like small holes in the skirting? Is this going to be an issue that I should get rectified or is it I'm niao (being too critical)?

gallery_68382_875_44740.jpg

More to come tomorrow!