Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Would like to ask anyone has any ideas what is nice to light up the staircase
Option 1 . hanging lights for the staircase (pic for illustration, similar or different)

hanging%20lights_zpsvysldb6l.jpg

Option 2. Wall light (see the light mount on the wall of the staircase)

wall%20light_zpsz53fp5lv.jpg

Option 3. Small LED bulbs along the staircase to light up the stairs way (something similar to the one below)

Maisonette-Loft-Design-Lower-Hall-Decorc

Which one is good? Any comments anyone? hehe.. jump so fast to lighting.. hehe.. thanks all

Edited by twinklecloud

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am using Brandt although not the same models. From my experience, cooker hobs seldom spoilt but cooker hoods (including my Brandt hood) do break down. So, you should purchase extended warranty for the hood. This is just my point of view.

Hihi!!

Haha I saw some of the photos already (:P)! Looking good! Andrew says if I want to see his workmanship I should just wait till your house is done and I come see yours? Heh heh.

Oooh! You bought your recess area? But keeping the louvre window wall? We decided we wouldn't buy our recess area muahaha but still use it to store shoes anyway.:P

As for lighting at the staircase, our own preference (but of course doesn't mean it's the best) is to get LED lights which are uplights and downlights concurrently, and mount one above the staircase mid-level landing, and also one on each side of the Void area next to the staircase. This way they will work to light up the staircase area as well as provide lighting for the first floor at the edge of the dining room and the living room. And then wall lights on the second floor landing.

Uplight+downlight LED light something like this? We saw what we wanted from Chan Huat but no pictures of it:

7607.jpg

I was quite interested in a good hanging light from the ceiling but we really couldn't find one that we liked that would be easy to clean. And if it was a normal ceiling light it might be difficult to reach in order to change the bulb next time or do any kind of maintenance. We did think the along-the-stairs lighting effect would be good but that's way too many lighting points to do for us, not to mention we intended to just keep our staircase as is mostly without needing to do much to it.

I am using Brandt although not the same models. From my experience, cooker hobs seldom spoilt but cooker hoods (including my Brandt hood) do break down. So, you should purchase extended warranty for the hood. This is just my point of view.

hi kstoh, may i know have u experience any breakdown for the hood?care to share any if there is?

Hihi!!

Haha I saw some of the photos already ( :P)! Looking good! Andrew says if I want to see his workmanship I should just wait till your house is done and I come see yours? Heh heh.

Oooh! You bought your recess area? But keeping the louvre window wall? We decided we wouldn't buy our recess area muahaha but still use it to store shoes anyway. :P

As for lighting at the staircase, our own preference (but of course doesn't mean it's the best) is to get LED lights which are uplights and downlights concurrently, and mount one above the staircase mid-level landing, and also one on each side of the Void area next to the staircase. This way they will work to light up the staircase area as well as provide lighting for the first floor at the edge of the dining room and the living room. And then wall lights on the second floor landing.

Uplight+downlight LED light something like this? We saw what we wanted from Chan Huat but no pictures of it:

7607.jpg

I was quite interested in a good hanging light from the ceiling but we really couldn't find one that we liked that would be easy to clean. And if it was a normal ceiling light it might be difficult to reach in order to change the bulb next time or do any kind of maintenance. We did think the along-the-stairs lighting effect would be good but that's way too many lighting points to do for us, not to mention we intended to just keep our staircase as is mostly without needing to do much to it.

wow! u got the first hand view! hehe..

the downlight and uplight looks good.. i may consider it thanks for sharing!! your research is progressing very well!!

need some advise/input if any

facing some problem with the master toilet combination. the tiles has been done and now it's either we change the position of the toilet or change the swing door to bifold but somehow i still feel the whole bathroom is very cramp..

can anyone advise how to get the best out of it? the pipes for the vanity has also been done.. =(

refer to pic

mastertoilet%20plan_zps3rqv30dk.jpg

which one is best? i find all three still cramp even when switch the entrance swing door to bifold door.

need some advise/input if any

facing some problem with the master toilet combination. the tiles has been done and now it's either we change the position of the toilet or change the swing door to bifold but somehow i still feel the whole bathroom is very cramp..

can anyone advise how to get the best out of it? the pipes for the vanity has also been done.. =(

refer to pic

mastertoilet%20plan_zps3rqv30dk.jpg

which one is best? i find all three still cramp even when switch the entrance swing door to bifold door.

How come you've closed off the entire length? For the shower area? But I thought the MBR toilet should be quite big, a quarter for shower area should be more than enough?

yeah i think might be a mistake. tot it will look nice as i saw it in my neighbour's. but din know end up now like this. haiz. will see if can rectified and changed to quarter back

Edited by twinklecloud

Hi twinklecloud!

Yeah I was thinking if you didn't want to feel so cramped you could just have one fixed shower screen (not L-shaped) because actually the spray from a showerhead/rainshower wouldn't go super far and at most you need a screen to shield the sidespray onto your WC or your vanity. Also less glass to have to clean.

For us, we are keeping the original configuration of the MBR bathroom so we are just sticking the shower area in one quarter and not building any shower screen at all since the bathroom is so big.

Alternatively, maybe try a sliding door instead of a swing door for your entrance into the toilet? Maybe slide towards your vanity if towards the right is not possible (I'm guessing those are pipes the box with the X on it). You mentioned your vanity pipes are in but the actual vanity isn't yet right? Can mount slightly away from the wall so that the sliding door can fit inside?

hi kstoh, may i know have u experience any breakdown for the hood?care to share any if there is?

I never used my Brandt hood (coz I use my outdoor kitchen). So I have turned it on only a few times for the past 2 years. But just the other day when I turned it on, it suddenly stopped. I had to call the extended warranty hotline to arrange for repairs. I think the repairman said something to the effect that "the starter spoilt". I do use my other Brandt hob almost every day and it is working fine. Brandt is ok. I think it is the less premium sister of De Dietrich? i would say all cooker hoods spoil after some time.

Hi twinklecloud!

Yeah I was thinking if you didn't want to feel so cramped you could just have one fixed shower screen (not L-shaped) because actually the spray from a showerhead/rainshower wouldn't go super far and at most you need a screen to shield the sidespray onto your WC or your vanity. Also less glass to have to clean.

Yes, if the horizontal fixed glass panel is long enough, past your body and usual landing zone of the water spray, you do not need a door on the right. I have done it before. But you do need a kerb (unless your shower area is stepped down) to prevent water from flowing out.

How come you've closed off the entire length? For the shower area? But I thought the MBR toilet should be quite big, a quarter for shower area should be more than enough?

Can the toilet swing door open from the front, i.e. Swing open towards you instead of swinging in? This will make the toilet more spacious without the door in the way when you are inside and not closing the door.

I will opt for diagram 2 - shift the toilet bowl and do away with the main door. :)

if shift the toilet bowl, the leg space for the right leg might be quite cramp... =( what do u think?