Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Preface is I'm no expert this is what my contractor tells me...

Hahah! Still it's a good tip! I haven't bought my hood so I will go check it out! Thanks babe!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The hood is just motor pulling air from outside inwards and venting it out again. Similar analogy but reversed direction, Just imagine a stand fan, use a cloth cover the rear of the fan you can see the output is greatly reduced.

If you dont mind it venting into your cabinet (with smells and greasy air) The mesh + carbon filter will not 100% remove all. Especially less if it is very used and not periodically changed.

The hood is just motor pulling air from outside inwards and venting it out again. Similar analogy but reversed direction, Just imagine a stand fan, use a cloth cover the rear of the fan you can see the output is greatly reduced.

If you dont mind it venting into your cabinet (with smells and greasy air) The mesh + carbon filter will not 100% remove all. Especially less if it is very used and not periodically changed.

Yeah my contractor said the inner cabinets will be very oily and smelly if I don't let it vent outwards! :)

Yeah my contractor said the inner cabinets will be very oily and smelly if I don't let it vent outwards! :)

Thank you bykaraanne & Changbp for explaining! :)

Anyway, I've asked le husband to do what he do best - research & read up on all the technical information we need. :good: And ta-dah! He found these in Bosch Manual:

gallery_70201_894_39177.jpeg

gallery_70201_894_40491.jpeg

So we can actually use Circulating-Air Mode -> which don't need to use the vent on top of the hood, so no smelly oily air will go into the cabinets. The air which is drawn in will be filtered & come back out from the same place. To get rid of the odors (back into the kitchen), Activated Charcoal Filter must be installed - which is not included in the hood purchase. This can be bought from Bosch SG website or their authorized dealers. It's S$120/set of Activated Charcoal Filter (Model: DHZ2600). The manual said it should be changed every 4 months. I supposed if we don't cook everyday... it can last longer.

Edited by yakult

Congrats on your new place!

I've bought the same piece. Suction is good and very handy. :good:

However, just remember to remove it and clean it often.

gallery_70201_894_42027.png

Thanks OceanEleven!

That's good to know! Will take note to clean it often :D I guess all the food residue might drop inside when washing uh?

Tiles

Went to Soon Bee Huat to choose our Living room homogeneous tiles. Reason we opt for homogeneous is because we want to have a shiny, classy look (inspired by some photos we saw online). Also, we want to have a different feel between living room & bedrooms - which will be the highly popular & pretty vinyl tiles (aka high resilient flooring).

This is what we've chosen for our living room...

gallery_70201_894_25538.jpeg

And while shopping for floor tiles... we saw gorgeous marble-like wall tiles! So end up we added in wall tiles for MBR toilet (><") which was not factor into our initial budget & quotation =X I am a bathroom-person...meaning... every time i went to stay in a hotel, their bathroom is the one that determine is it a WOW or BOO hotel for me. Who don't like posh hotel bathroom? :P And bathroom is the 1st place we step into every morning in our sleepy state... so wouldn't it be nice to start the day in a pretty bathroom? *trying to justify myself* :dancingqueen:

This was our initial choice for MBR wall tiles...

gallery_70201_894_38752.jpeg

However, after looking at the 3D, it seems a little too dramatic for the entire bathroom (the above photo can't really tell... but there's a lot of details on it) We went down to Soon Bee Huat again to take a look...and decided to change to something more simple & elegant with 2 colors...

gallery_70201_894_93710.jpeg

gallery_70201_894_1439.jpeg

Both living room floor tiles & bathroom tiles had arrived on site 2 days ago! Shall go take a look this Sunday :)

gallery_70201_894_145508.jpg

Edited by yakult

You buy so much stuff already! Where you store them? I'm restraining myself cause no place to put! Haha!

Usually they can store for you for 3-6 months. Everything we bought from HoeKee are like this... so we only pay some deposit. Just need to arrange for delivery 5 days in advance + paid up the balance before delivery. :) Those from Amazon are small items, so it's okay haha.

I have almost same floor plan as you. Can I check are you doing any shoe cabinet ?

Yes I am! :) We place it at the entrance linking up to our TV feature wall.

Kitchen Sink

We made a mistake by purchasing our kitchen sink too early :( We saw Mayer's kitchen sink + retractable mixer set offering at a very good price. It was a 880mm long double-bowl stainless steel - which looks great. However, we didn't give much thought as to have a top-mount or under-mount sink at that point of time... and this Mayer's sink is an top-mount.

After watching many reno shows on HGTV + the opinion from my sister... we now want an under-mount sink >< We thought of just go with the top-mount since we already bought it (non-refundable & already delivered)... but if we want to change to an under-mount next time, I'm not sure can the kitchen top fit.

We went to HoeKee to take a look at BLANCO sinks & decided to get a single-bowl under-mount Zerox u700.

gallery_70201_894_397.jpg

Heart pain because more money spent... but very happy with this choice as it looks so nice :dribble: Anyway, we had to cancel 1 set of the Grohe rainshower (mentioned in earlier post), so the price top-up for a new sink is not that much. Win-win eh? haha.

Selling...

With that, I have 1 brand new double-bowl stainless steel top-mount kitchen sink for sale! I am letting go way below cost price. Please PM me if you are interested! :)SOLD!

Edited by yakult

End of Week 1

• Living room floor tiles & MBR wall tiles - arrived
  • HDB Reno permit + wall hacking permit - approved
  • Laying of floor protection on main door & kitchen - done

Met up with our ID just now to go through & finalized on the electricial works, as well as paid our 2nd payment.

Can't wait to see these tiles up!

gallery_70201_894_95843.jpeg

Opened up 1 box to take a look...

gallery_70201_894_37118.jpeg

Floor protection at kitchen...

gallery_70201_894_46057.jpeg

Took some photos of our empty place while we were there just now... (continue in next post)