Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
owlNbear

Owl & Bear's Parisian-Chic-Lookalike Nest

On 7/13/2016 at 2:56 PM, mopiko said:

Concrete tile bathroom sink~! there u go! at last someone else thinks its a good idea!

I have been deciding for months whether to go wood vanity or concrete tile.

Doesnt quite make sense as toilet/bathroom is a wet area, definitely wooden vanity will not hold up for long, but 99% of ppl uses it??

Anyway my 1st concern of conrete tile sink is; whether it will turn out ugly or not; like those 80s landed property toilets.

After seeing ur concrete tile sink, ill 100% do with it!

But then im abit concern how to do the door for it, esp the leg kick?

Do you have a full length pic of your concrete vanity?

Appreciate if you can show us how doors/hinge is being constructed.

Awesome idea to go with glass door for bathroom too!

Thank you so much! It's been 3 months since I moved in and so far, I'm really glad I made the decision to 'go concrete'. I can leave puddles of water all over the top and not worry a single bit about  maintenance. Looks wise, I think it turned out fine, no 80's look (though I almost kenna-ed the 80's look no thanks to the contractor, luckily they managed to salvage it!) I think the crux is on the type of tiles used. As long as it's not the generic white HDB bathroom tiles, it'll be fine :good: What kind of tiles / bathroom look do you have in mind? Share share!

Here are some pics that I took. I hope this'll give you a clearer picture on how it works. Strictly speaking, it's not all concrete, because we have wooden doors and a shelf. After constructing and tiling up the sink support, the carpenter came along to install the doors and shelf. Btw, the door laminate doesn't really go with the sink (because it was so last minute, we had to choose in a hurry) but you can take your time to choose a nice matching laminate, or even a funky contrasting one...the possibilities are endless :D 

By 'leg kick', do you mean the space for your feet to go into? If so, there's none here. I wanted a suspended sink but the contractor said it would be to heavy, so we had to settle for this. Though for me (and my fiance) it's not a big issue. Not having that space to 'stick' your feet into is something I can live with :) Though maybe for extremely large feet (fiance already has quite big ones), it might be uncomfortable?

bathroom1_zpsyrlzsqpp.jpg

bathroom2_zpsiuxkiftj.jpg

Here are the hinges constructed by my carpenter. He made a wooden frame which actually goes inside the sink support, so it can't be seen on the outside. Very neat and tidy :)

bathroom3_zpsxgkylcjl.jpg

And here's the shelf that we installed, because we didn't want to waste the height space. Pardon the mess!

bathroom4_zpsvq7ph21x.jpg

You can see that the carpenter wrapped up the frame nicely so it blends in as well.

Hope that helps. Keep me updated on what you've decided to go with, it would be really cool to see more concrete bathroom sink ideas :)

Edited by owlNbear

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 7/14/2016 at 11:46 PM, owlNbear said:

Thank you so much! It's been 3 months since I moved in and so far, I'm really glad I made the decision to 'go concrete'. I can leave puddles of water all over the top and not worry a single bit about  maintenance. Looks wise, I think it turned out fine, no 80's look (though I almost kenna-ed the 80's look no thanks to the contractor, luckily they managed to salvage it!) I think the crux is on the type of tiles used. As long as it's not the generic white HDB bathroom tiles, it'll be fine :good: What kind of tiles / bathroom look do you have in mind? Share share!

Here are some pics that I took. I hope this'll give you a clearer picture on how it works. Strictly speaking, it's not all concrete, because we have wooden doors and a shelf. After constructing and tiling up the sink support, the carpenter came along to install the doors and shelf. Btw, the door laminate doesn't really go with the sink (because it was so last minute, we had to choose in a hurry) but you can take your time to choose a nice matching laminate, or even a funky contrasting one...the possibilities are endless :D 

By 'leg kick', do you mean the space for your feet to go into? If so, there's none here. I wanted a suspended sink but the contractor said it would be to heavy, so we had to settle for this. Though for me (and my fiance) it's not a big issue. Not having that space to 'stick' your feet into is something I can live with :) Though maybe for extremely large feet (fiance already has quite big ones), it might be uncomfortable?

bathroom1_zpsyrlzsqpp.jpg

bathroom2_zpsiuxkiftj.jpg

Here are the hinges constructed by my carpenter. He made a wooden frame which actually goes inside the sink support, so it can't be seen on the outside. Very neat and tidy :)

bathroom3_zpsxgkylcjl.jpg

And here's the shelf that we installed, because we didn't want to waste the height space. Pardon the mess!

bathroom4_zpsvq7ph21x.jpg

You can see that the carpenter wrapped up the frame nicely so it blends in as well.

Hope that helps. Keep me updated on what you've decided to go with, it would be really cool to see more concrete bathroom sink ideas :)

Thank so much~! Gathering more ideas so can finalize the contruction of the concrete vanity.

Will share some pics when its done. Appreciate your pics!

Hi Thanks for your advice.

I have started my renovation not too long ago. :)

Currently I am in the midst of shopping for toilet bowl, kitchen sink etc...

May I know where you purchase your items? Can share?

Thanks

On 8/6/2016 at 0:07 PM, pradaloh said:

Hi Thanks for your advice.

I have started my renovation not too long ago. :)

Currently I am in the midst of shopping for toilet bowl, kitchen sink etc...

May I know where you purchase your items? Can share?

Thanks

Sure. Most of my bathroomware and kitchen appliances are from at Hupfarri at Upper Changi road, near Eunos, and GainCity at Sungei Kadut :)  

On 8/7/2016 at 10:14 AM, Mannequin said:

Do you mind to share your kitchen carpenter's contact? The eccentric china uncle? Thank you.

Ok, will PM you :good:

This is more of a sharing post since my reno is over, but I wanted to talk about a type of flooring that I WISH I had known about earlier because it’s GORGEOUS! And ALSO a flooring guy I met that quite impressed me (maybe after my CMI contractor, everyone will impress me, lol).

So awhile back, a friend of mine came over to my place to check out the reno. She wanted a similar look (industrial/scandinavian/rustic) so she got her flooring guy, Loon, to come over for a discussion. Heard from my friend that he is an actual designer himself. A lot of fine, aesthetic details that most contractors or IDs neglected to bring up, this floor guy actually nailed. This, to me is a value-added service that only someone with a strong design background would grasp.

And then to my surprise, halfway during the discussion, the floor guy’s eagle eyes (occupational hazard?) spotted a cracked skirting that my previous contractor left behind, and he actually offered to fix it for me :yeah:This cracked skirting had been bugging me for a long time and was such an eyesore. And now FINALLY it’s fixed :D Even though it was a minor job, I was really touched because he could have pretended not to see it, right? Props to him. My friend later reported that he did a pretty good job with her floor as well.

IMG-20160814-WA0005_zps6ozuijau.jpg

IMG-20160814-WA0003_zpsrrigm2sf.jpg

IMG-20160814-WA0001_zpsc5hqzq3k.jpg

Here are some pics of the gorgeous flooring that he shared with me. Wish I had known about this earlier. I would so totally have gone for it instead of my (now very boring) vinyl.

So pretty right? Ok, maybe I’m just a sua gu. But I definitely would have gone for this if I had known beforehand. Nevermind, there’s always the next reno to look forward to. Although maybe by then, there would be a new type of flooring that will catch my attention :P 

Anyway, I won't be around here much anymore to check for pm's. If anyone is interested, here's his contact
- Flooring contractor: Loon, 84991458

And for the rest of my recommendations that people have frequently asked me for:
- Carpenter contractor: Carel, 97995666
- 3D designer: Zhi Long 92224562

Edited by owlNbear

On 21/08/2016 at 5:04 PM, owlNbear said:

This is more of a sharing post since my reno is over, but I wanted to talk about a type of flooring that I WISH I had known about earlier because it’s GORGEOUS! And ALSO a flooring guy I met that quite impressed me (maybe after my CMI contractor, everyone will impress me, lol).

So awhile back, a friend of mine came over to my place to check out the reno. She wanted a similar look (industrial/scandinavian/rustic) so she got her flooring guy, Loon, to come over for a discussion. Heard from my friend that he is an actual designer himself. A lot of fine, aesthetic details that most contractors or IDs neglected to bring up, this floor guy actually nailed. This, to me is a value-added service that only someone with a strong design background would grasp.

And then to my surprise, halfway during the discussion, the floor guy’s eagle eyes (occupational hazard?) spotted a cracked skirting that my previous contractor left behind, and he actually offered to fix it for me :yeah:This cracked skirting had been bugging me for a long time and was such an eyesore. And now FINALLY it’s fixed :D Even though it was a minor job, I was really touched because he could have pretended not to see it, right? Props to him. My friend later reported that he did a pretty good job with her floor as well.

IMG-20160814-WA0005_zps6ozuijau.jpg

IMG-20160814-WA0003_zpsrrigm2sf.jpg

IMG-20160814-WA0001_zpsc5hqzq3k.jpg

Here are some pics of the gorgeous flooring that he shared with me. Wish I had known about this earlier. I would so totally have gone for it instead of my (now very boring) vinyl.

So pretty right? Ok, maybe I’m just a sua gu. But I definitely would have gone for this if I had known beforehand. Nevermind, there’s always the next reno to look forward to. Although maybe by then, there would be a new type of flooring that will catch my attention :P 

Anyway, I won't be around here much anymore to check for pm's. If anyone is interested, here's his contact
- Flooring contractor: Loon, 84991458

And for the rest of my recommendations that people have frequently asked me for:
- Carpenter contractor: Carel, 97995666
- 3D designer: Zhi Long 92224562

Hi do you mind to share your kitchen top, why so thin? brand? colour code? how much? Thank you.