Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
owlNbear

Owl & Bear's Parisian-Chic-Lookalike Nest

Gorgeous tiles in the toilet and kitchen! And your toilet is so big it makes me drool. I realised tiling is really tough job and I see how difficult to cut around pipes , pipes edges, and in my case the angle of a door frame to fit the glass door.

Now I understand some times there are limitations and it can't be perfect

Edited by Luxexplorer

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It took us two trips to Lian Seng Hin to finalize our tiles. Our second visit was to confirm the tiles that we had selected previously. We also learnt that it is a must to have 30 x 30 tiles at the shower (or wet) area. This is so that the floor can be sloped, thus helping with water drainage.

The tiles were up shortly after the plastering, and masonry works are still in progress. I estimate it to be just about 60-70% complete. Also, I realized that what might seem easy, really isn't, and I've developed a newfound respect for the tilers.

tiling1_zps2srxshhn.jpg

These tiles come with around 9-10 different patterns, that the tilers mixed and matched themselves. I wanted to match them myself, but after our last few interactions with the head tiler, we decided that we could place some faith in him. Love how its turned out :) Best thing is, if the walls were to ever grow algae one day, nobody would realize. Lolol.

tiling2_zpsrmfcmsau.jpg

I wanted to have a dark floor at the shower area, but the sales lady at LSH stressed repeatedly that it would stain very noticeably, and would be a b**** to maintain, so we decided not to. Also, I have a paranoid fear that a xiaoqiang would appear on the floor, and I wouldn't be able to see it. Haha!

Also, notice the curved corner? That corner is a jerk. The head tiler (who has been really helpful and informative, and regularly goes out of his way to explain things) spent a long time discussing the tile layout with us. We wanted a 工字型 (running bond pattern) layout for the tiles, but there were some areas where this couldn't be done. Like that corner for example, so its done using a stack bond instead. Not the first incident where it has caused much inconvenience. Still, it didn't turn out so bad after all.

tiling4_zpsw8dbrgxr.jpg

tiling3_zpslbwctrvt.jpg

Here's our kitchen, and the tilers, meticulously laying out the tiles. I find it especially tedious because some of the tiles have to be cut and trimmed down to size in order to fit the area.

The head tiler (the topless guy), we found, is really knowledgeable even though he looks pretty young. And from one particular incident, we realized that he genuinely takes great pride in his work. More about that below.

wrongwall1_zpsltvrnxst.jpg

So, here's a wall full of subway tiles that no longer exists, and has a little story behind it.

After one of our visits, I was reviewing the photos when I realized that we had made a major booboo with the tiles and LSH had delivered the wrong subway tiles. So Bear rushed down immediately and informed the tiler, who actually lost his temper and blew up at our contractor (but he still managed to remain polite to Bear). In order to compensate, we offered to do away with another wall that had to be tiled.

Head tiler then explained to us that it really wasn't about the amount of work to be done. He just couldn't help but take it personally, because it was his work, something that he had taken great pains to cut, plaster and lay. And now he had to take it down again. Hearing that, we felt really bad. But it also left a pretty good impression. To us, that really speaks volumes about the pride that he takes in his work.

Anyway, enough of stories. Things are starting to take shape now, and we're really excited! Next up, a meeting with the plumber and the electrician!

WOW!!! we are using the same floor tiles for the kitchen! yours is only white n small black...

see mine below.. heehee

kitchen%20floor%20tiles_zpsojz6uysq.jpg

The wall that was taken down - was it meant to be subway tiles with bevelled edges? The contractor is supposed to check mah.. so what is the new concept? Just concrete screed?

Hi cat! So clever! Yes it's bevelled subway tiles :)

Ya, he didn't check because he doesn't know the actual tile pattern. We just gave him the order form and he ordered based on that.

It's still the bevelled subway tiles, at the wall above the lower cabinet. And white plastered walls for the rest.

super love your home! could you please pm me your contractor's contacts? also, there are actually IDs who'd offer 3D drawings only? he/she did a great job!

can you please IM me your contractor details? :)

hi there, can pm me your contractor's contact pls? Thanks!

Sure will PM in a bit.

@matchalatte yep! He was introduced to me by a friend who's also an ID. I like his stuff too, but you've got to make sure that you have pictures of all the items that you want on hand before sending him the brief.

LOVE the blackish tiles in your toilet! :notti: And YES IKR to the "if got algae on the wall cannot see but must be able to see xiaoqiang on the floor" LOL :rofl:

Don't you just love people who take their job seriously and take pride in the outcome of their work? :good:

Thank you! *does a happy dance* Actually, I just realized that if the qiangqiang is on the walls, we won't be able to see it as well :dunno:

Gorgeous tiles in the toilet and kitchen! And your toilet is so big it makes me drool. I realised tiling is really tough job and I see how difficult to cut around pipes , pipes edges, and in my case the angle of a door frame to fit the glass door.

Now I understand some times there are limitations and it can't be perfect

Thank you so much lux! You make me feel so happy :wub: But the toilet is tiny even after combining :P Lucky we're both quite slim. A really big person wouldn't be able to get into the shower once the sink and vanity is up.

WOW!!! we are using the same floor tiles for the kitchen! yours is only white n small black...

see mine below.. heehee

kitchen%20floor%20tiles_zpsojz6uysq.jpg

Awesome!! We're kitchen floor twins :D Love this look, like something from an old classic movie :)

Thank you! *does a happy dance* Actually, I just realized that if the qiangqiang is on the walls, we won't be able to see it as well :dunno:

Thank you so much lux! You make me feel so happy :wub: But the toilet is tiny even after combining :P Lucky we're both quite slim. A really big person wouldn't be able to get into the shower once the sink and vanity is up.

Awesome!! We're kitchen floor twins :D Love this look, like something from an old classic movie :)

haha.. it's from Mario... :D

hqdefault_zpsgzjfbyrt.jpg

:notti: look alike?hehe

index_zpsc1uxm24u.jpg

haha.. it's from Mario... :D

hqdefault_zpsgzjfbyrt.jpg

:notti: look alike?hehe

index_zpsc1uxm24u.jpg

Omg yeah!!! So cute. Or maybe you can even buy some big chess pieces and place them around the floor as deco, hehe

Oh, also, my taobao purchases have finally arrived and are due this friday. I'm so excited!!!!

Hoping to blog about the taobao process as well. It was a bit of a nightmare for me, so I hope now that (almost) everything has finally been settled for me, I can help at one person figure out how to use that monster site lol

This blog is really very helpful owlNbear! Thanks :good:

Really like those subway tiles on your kitchen wall. Nice nice... I am however, planning to leave the wall tiles in my kitchen alone... the current owners have really maintained it very very well, so I am trying to save some money there.. and even then renovation cost is ballooning up like nobody's business! Hahaha... Still deciding between the various contractors and IDs..

I wanted to have a dark floor at the shower area, but the sales lady at LSH stressed repeatedly that it would stain very noticeably, and would be a b**** to maintain, so we decided not to. Also, I have a paranoid fear that a xiaoqiang would appear on the floor, and I wouldn't be able to see it. Haha!

Hello! This made me laugh because it's the exact same paranoia I have - xiaoqiangs that cannot be seen! LOL. I'm getting the keys to my resale 3-room flat next week, so I'll be following your T-blog! Love your writing style. :)

I'm still COMPLETELY clueless as to what to do with my place though - no contractors contacted, no design theme in mind, no mood board, no furniture/lights shortlisted, no nothing. I only know that the ENTIRE place needs to be overhauled and I don't want black tiles/walls/cabinets so that any xiaoqiang will be instantly spotted. Hahaha!

So excuse me now while I go panic.

Edited by sanguine

Oh, also, my taobao purchases have finally arrived and are due this friday. I'm so excited!!!!

Hoping to blog about the taobao process as well. It was a bit of a nightmare for me, so I hope now that (almost) everything has finally been settled for me, I can help at one person figure out how to use that monster site lol

please please blog about your taobao purchases! would love to know which forwarder you chose. i've been buying from taobao for years but never on big purchases like furniture so would be great to know the procedures etc. thanks in advance!