Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 4/5/2016 at 10:18 PM, JohnJohn said:

I don't know the superstition about having a fan over your bed, but I was told that constant movement caused by the fan would mean that you would not get a restful sleep. For me, the phobia of the fan dropping on me while I sleep prevented me from having a fan over my bed.

@JohnJohnHaha I read that having a ceiling fan above the bed would "cut" the relationship because of the blades:dunno:..but anyway this is really just a superstition and up to your own beliefs! That's a legit phobia though to be afraid of a fan dropping on you hahaha. 

18 hours ago, Starrain said:

Hi pipsqueak,

You mentioned the extra charges for Herringbone tiling? May I ask how much was the extra?:dunno:

@StarrainHey actually now off hand I cannot really remember but I think it was quite a substantial amount like around a thousand dollars or so. Doing a herringbone layout is very labour intensive and also results in more wastages as the tilers would have to cut more tiles for the sides of the room to fill in the triangular gaps.

On 4/5/2016 at 6:52 PM, Fam said:

Hi, can please share the contact for Nick? Thanks in advance! :)

11 hours ago, melmeow said:

Hi can pm me Nick contact also? Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Fiza Kamil said:

Hi pls PM Nick's contact thanks!

PM-ed all of you!

14 hours ago, pipsqueak said:

@JohnJohnHaha I read that having a ceiling fan above the bed would "cut" the relationship because of the blades:dunno:..but anyway this is really just a superstition and up to your own beliefs! That's a legit phobia though to be afraid of a fan dropping on you hahaha. 

@StarrainHey actually now off hand I cannot really remember but I think it was quite a substantial amount like around a thousand dollars or so. Doing a herringbone layout is very labour intensive and also results in more wastages as the tilers would have to cut more tiles for the sides of the room to fill in the triangular gaps.

Aiyo.. so expensive... :jawdrop::~

Thanks for your reply!

Hope to see more pics of your house!

On Tuesday, April 05, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Changbp said:

hey there, I have an extra vento fino 2 from JB tampoi lighting. Similar to one in your picture except can oscillate and slightly longer fan blade with more power. Never been mounted and i'm selling it. You will get the box with original contents, original receipt (I actually bought some other Fan in this receipt) and warranty card as well. If you are interested PM me.

Hi Changbp, can you pm me the price. Thinking of getting one.  Thanks.

Hey, If you don't mind sharing, how much were you quoted for glass panels with aluminium frame u intended to install as kitchen door? Did you still go ahead with the idea? We are considering similar idea for our home reno so your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On 07/04/2016 at 11:30 PM, Starrain said:

Thanks for your reply!

No problem happy to help! I am not sure if your contractor may be able to do it for you at a cheaper price though, no harm asking! :)

23 hours ago, Grizzlybear said:

Hey, If you don't mind sharing, how much were you quoted for glass panels with aluminium frame u intended to install as kitchen door? Did you still go ahead with the idea? We are considering similar idea for our home reno so your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Will pm u!

On 4/7/2016 at 9:02 AM, pipsqueak said:

Thanks for your reply!

pipsqueak, actually I'm meeting Nick this coming weekend. :rofl:So he is the one I'm gonna ask.

Hi Pipsqueak, 

Drop by your T-blog to read more on your renovation and purchases!

Omg! I think we really have similar taste! I really like the idea of the half height glass panel with aluminum frame, marble looking kitchen top and the louvre doors!  Can't wait to see more updates! :yeah:

On 3/28/2016 at 5:35 PM, pipsqueak said:

Hello all! 

I have been a silent reader and follower of this forum since my fiance and I received our keys in May 2015 - we have been kinda chill about this so the process only started proper last month haha. Before I begin, I would really like to give my biggest heartfelt thank you to all the bloggers here who have shared their experiences because it has helped me so much, if not entirely in my own process.

We are halfway through the renovation process now and I thought I would start writing about our renovation journey and hopefully, our experience would help all of you in your own exciting experience. :)

The initials of our names form WHAT - hence the title ahha. We are both easties at heart so imagine our joy when we successfully applied for a sales of balance BTO in the Bedok area. It is about 10 mins walk to Bedok MRT, and we ain't got a good view (unless you count having a free show of watching your neighbours go about their business as one) but I gladly sacrificed that so that we could still be in an environment we grew up in. :wub:

So here is our very humble home layout - a 4 room unit. 

floor%20plan.jpg

I guess you could call our theme scandustrial (are you bored of this already?) but I love the woody warm feel, mixed with a little bit of industrial (black framed glass and wirings), and marble-tops - I will just let the photos do the talking for the inspirations.

inspiration.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg

8.jpg2.jpg

10.jpg9.jpg

5.jpg

I guess you can say I am into a lot of white, grey and brown shades heh.

On 3/28/2016 at 6:22 PM, pipsqueak said:

Tiling process

First thing Nick told us to do was to decide on the tiles. 

This made me realize how much of a renozilla I am...making my fiance and I go back to Hafary not 1...not 2..but 4 times just to finally decide on our tiles.

We learnt that the Ubi outlet of Hafary was much bigger, had the tiles in more pieces so you could get a better picture of how it would look like eventually and the range even seemed wider than the Balestier outlet! Our advice would be for you to ask your contractor/ID if it's possible to just  choose from the Ubi outlet and hopefully this would be easier for you. We only went to the Ubi outlet on the 4th time, but man we were productive and could immediately decide what we wanted.

For our living rooms, we wanted wooden-looking porcelein tiles and the selection at Balestier for our first three times were futile because all the tiles either looked artificial (not woody) or too industrial (too distressed for our liking)..we finally decided on this set upon seeing this in the Ubi outlet; 

IMG_0019.jpg

Bathrooms were the same - we wanted to be consistent with the woody theme and yet still be modern/spa-like (I was highly insistent on overlaying both toilets because I think toilets are an integral part of our lives and we have to use it everyday so we should enjoy doing our business in an environment we are comfy in) so eventually we went for these tile designs;

On the left, grey wooden-looking spanish ceramic tiles (within budget!) paired with greyish tiles for the MBR toilet and on the right, brown wooden-looking spanish ceramic tiles from the same family, paired with cream coloured tiles and brownish floor tiles for the common bathroom.

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0025.jpg

We were pleasantly surprised that Nick was super efficient, getting his men to start almost immediately upon our decision (basically if there was any delay, it was because of my fickle-mindedness sigh). 

We went down to check out our unit on that Saturday morning and found his tilers working hard on the living area. I originally wanted the tiles to be placed in a herringbone layout but unfortunately couldn't afford the extra charges so we decided on a staggered layout instead.

Living room

IMG_0011.jpga>IMG_0018.jpg

Completed living room when we went down a week after that - happy with the look of the tiles!

IMG_0022.jpg

Kitchen and service yard

Kitchen and service yard with a similar shade of wooden-looking tiles but shorter in length. 

IMG_0012.jpg

Completed service yard a week after.

IMG_0007.jpg

Concrete sink support up with our Carysil black granite double bowl sink (bought from Heritage)

IMG_0006.jpg

Toilets

What i found intriguing while researching on bathroom inspirations was how wood was used to construct vanity tops... which was not going to be very durable for me. Yes, I am the type of person who splashes water everywhere while washing my face (bad habit maybe lol) so we asked for a concrete support vanity top instead - definitely waterproof and lasting :)  Nick was pretty surprised by our request and said he had never done a concrete sink support for a bathroom before us so we are glad it turned out well! Will fill up the bottom ledge with straw baskets to store toiletries and necessities. 

Common toilet

IMG_0004.jpg

MBR toilet

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0021.jpg

Sinks were also purchased from Heritage. We decided not to change the HDB toilet bowls due to budget constraints for the time being.

Hi Pipsqueak!

so loving those wooden tiles you chose for the house! Is the reno completed and do you have more pics of the flooring? 

I am in the midst of choosing best tiles for our next house. Hubby prefers homo tiles but I'm thinking these wooden looking tiles look really cozy. You reckon maintenance will be easy? 

On 4/14/2016 at 11:31 AM, lianaalin said:

Hi Pipsqueak!

so loving those wooden tiles you chose for the house! Is the reno completed and do you have more pics of the flooring? 

I am in the midst of choosing best tiles for our next house. Hubby prefers homo tiles but I'm thinking these wooden looking tiles look really cozy. You reckon maintenance will be easy? 

Hi @lianaalin thanks! The reno is still halfway through so the flooring is currently protected with the cardboards so i don't have a proper photo of the completed flooring yet! yes i completely agree that wooden flooring would make your place cozier and warmer - i love wooden flooring but wanted it to be fuss-free so i went for porcelain tiles which looked like wood :) My tiles are currently 90 x 120cm which are quite long and may have warping issues - i have not inspected it properly yet. In terms of maintenance, it should be as easy as maintaining your normal tiled floor! However, if you are concerned with warping issues, it would be better for you to go for shorter wooden tiles. I will update again when i have completed my reno!  

On 4/14/2016 at 11:52 AM, Weijie123 said:

Hihi are you able to pm me nick's contact? Thank you so much.

Sure will pm you

Hi, 

May I know (ball park figure) how much nick quoted you?

Also, the window between the kitchen and dining room, is it slide open type of fixed glass panel? Am planning to do the same,