Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

Hi all, guess it's time I started my own blog here to contribute back to this wonderful community that has taught me so much for the past 3 years. Initially I'd intended to start this blog only when I'd either found an ID/ contractor, or when I'd collected my keys, or when my renovation was complete. But since I've met up with 3 IDs, I decided to capture some of my experiences here while they are still fresh.

House-hunting

I'd have to say that it was less tedious than I thought. I'd viewed approximately 6 houses (1 for fun just to see what the hype was in relation to the price) and chose the last one on the spot. My other half had a heart attack because I signed the OTP within half an hour of viewing the place. Firstly it wasn't a 4 room like I'd originally planned, and secondly, the first floor scared her s**tless as it is a really old estate with a more religious/superstitious demographic, and almost each block had a massive altar in a dark corner of the void deck. One of the first houses we viewed was a huge 4 room corner unit in the same Bt Merah/ Telok Blangah area, and the owners were the kind that owned those red chairs. I don't mind but wouldn't like it if any 'friends' were left behind when they moved out. Anyway, who cares really, Singapore is small and it's not unusual that anyone sees things. I will definitely do the basic stuff like salting the entire house as if I was preserving it for the apolocalypse or teochew porridge ( I had ever burnt sage in one of my rental homes for 3 days...but that's a story for another day).

The 3 room I'd chosen fulfilled 98% of my criteria (minus 1% for the void-deck altar, minus 1% for being 75sqm), being high floor, corner, bright but not sunny, spacious kitchen, QUIET, no blockage, and if I stretch my vision and imagination I could see a corner of Mt Faber, and near to the food, doctors, supermarket, bus stops and the CBD.

I signed the OTP the day after I turned 35, so maybe I am a little OCD? It was a good date to remember anyway.

Here's the floorplan for your viewing pleasure:

6ehto8.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ID-Hunting

I had a few items that I was not willing to compromise on and told them upfront, so if anyone had a problem with that, they had a problem with me:

1) Tiled flooring. It's a personal preference. I've everything against vinyl and laminates, don't ask me why.

2) Apronfront sink. Either you think your sub-cons can install that or they can't. Don't ask me weird s**t like whether I have installation guides or if I could change my choice of sinks.

3) 2.79 meter long L-shaped couch. No, I cannot change it to a non-L-Shape couch, and no I cannot make the couch shorter because my girlfriend LOVES that OM couch. You're a designer right? Plan the space!

4) 2 meter long bookcase. My girlfriend loves it. End of story. Fit it in.

5) Caeserstone countertop. My girlfriend loves to cook and she is cooking for me until the day one of us dies first. Yes, I know it is pricey but it's not anything I've not factored for.

Before anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable, I'd factored in all kinds of angles and plans to fit the stuff in. There were some cases that the ID's design would be compromised that I did relent on the size/ type of furniture. And I only relented because I got so bored being the one coming up with the solution and yet being expected to pay $50-$60K to solve design issues.

So far I'd only intended to go to 2 IDs, but as each one failed my criteria, I continued requesting for quotes with others. So far...:

1) ID 1 - This ID was introduced by my friend whose bro-in-law actually owned the design firm. My friend had a massive crush on the ID and asked him to serve me, so I felt kinda bad to ask for another. Anyway, he was really inexperienced. 1st appointment took place in less than 20 mins. He hardly spoke, but I can appreciate the fact that some people prefer to show their talent with real action. However, it was quite difficult to figure out if he understood what I needed, and I also wanted him to have some free artistic license to actually DESIGN something. 2nd Appointment, I went down to his office again and this time round he spoke more, eagerly presenting me with his idea which he insisted was to give everyone a feeling that this was not a HDB flat. There were a couple of other misses, so finally I thanked him for his time and help and moved on after he suggested planting my fridge in the middle of the kitchen near the HOT window. He probably didn't cook either and the flow of the proposed kitchen workstation was so illogical (fridge, sink, stove, prep area in a linear position...go figure) I feared that the house would fall apart if I put the project in his hands. His quote was very high...it went up to the $60ks after I factored in the electricals and plumbing, and he insisted that I NEEDED laminated flooring. Good grief. There's only so much I'd do for a drinking buddy.

2) ID 2- Introduced by my colleague who was having her house project managed by this ID. She told me how considerate he was and how he knew the little things to look out for, and how he would give her updates constantly. Lesson learnt...wait till the renovation is wrapped up before passing judgment. She 'unrecommended" him to me after I'd received his quotation, and I was quite scared as well because of the various stories she told me about his work. During my first appointment, it was as she said. In comparison to my first ID, this guy knew stuff to look out for (beams, piping, washing machine location) etc. He promised to give me two proposals (standard planning, and an unusual one where I requested to move the living room into the master bedroom and to hack the dividing wall of the kitchen). I was so excited and psyched that he didn't throw my idea out. I waited 2 weeks odd, telling myself that he was busy and stressed wrapping up my colleague's house for handover. Eventually I got tired of waiting and proactively went to request for another quote. After that he did send me a short email with the proposed quote. I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED. Where was the promised plan A & B leh?!  Pian ren de. The quote came up to the mid-$50ks excluding electricals, and the bugger insisted on putting vinyls on the quote even after I explicitly told him not to. He also threw in a bunch of stuff that he told me I should not build into the house (e.g. cove-lighting) and he basically wanted to box-up every pipe and wire he could find. Go away!

3) ID 3- I saw his work in  and he had good recommendations in Facebook. During my first appointment, he presented me with pretty practical and logical ideas. We spent 2 hours discussing my requirements, and I walked away with no expectations after my meeting with the first 2 IDs. 2nd appointment, I asked him to come down to my area as his office was quite far and I did not fancy spending another Saturday in some ulu part of Singapore I had no business being in. He came down despite my negative other half telling me darkly 5 mins before the meeting that he would NEVER show up all the way in our part of town. He did turn up and the first thing he said when he saw me from afar was that I was going to scold him about the quote. I promise that I did not although inside my head I was K@$#!N@$@&C$$$$$$!!!!! After that 2nd appointment, my darkling half was surprisingly optimistic and happy with him despite his quote rocketing up to $60++k. Long story short (I want to log off and go home from work now), I received his revised quote yesterday and I K#$#$@$!!@#&$$$!!! He quoted me $7200 for 26 ft of caeserstone and previously had quoted me $6100 for 28 ft of caeserstone.

I'm going to go have a tower of beer now to drown my sorrows over the careless mistakes of others.

TGIF

Edit: All IDs visited quoted me a range of $4500-$6600 to hack the entire house flooring, wall tiles, kitchen entrance walls and bedroom 2 wall. I haven't stopped laughing mockingly for a month.

Nothing much has happened since mid- April as my HDB 1st Appointment is only in the first week of May. I'd decided to go with a contractor since the initial quote provided included all the hacking works, new windows, fully tiled floors, plumbing works and carpentry I required. I supposed my hacking is quite extensive so I really shouldn't be complaining about the cost, but it's good that the tiling was not quoted as high as it was through an ID. I still laugh about it because I'm stubborn like that. After my 1st appointment with HDB, I'd be able to set an time with the seller so that I can bring the contractor over to carry out measurements, talk him through some of the changes I want before I get the final quote.

The theme of the house to date is ...nothing. We want it to be cosy and relaxing since it's our sanctuary outside of work. I like things close to nature, like wood and stone. Metal is okay as long as it doesn't turn out to be too industrial and I don't think Scandinavian suits our characters.  I'd like the house to look soothing, and the colours beige, brown, grey, cream will be the primary ones I'm using. Both of us have poor eyesight thanks to the industries we're in, and the last thing we want is a house that is all white with glaring white lights. I am also a terrible housekeeper so I think a white house will be a living nightmare for me.

To keep this blog alive, I'll share some the furniture and accessories I'd been eyeing and saving up for, in the next post.

Edited by Catt

15 minutes ago, Catt said:

Nothing much has happened since mid- April as my HDB 1st Appointment is only in the first week of May. I'd decided to go with a contractor since the initial quote provided included all the hacking works, new windows, fully tiled floors, plumbing works and carpentry I required. I supposed my hacking is quite extensive so I really shouldn't be complaining about the cost, but it's good that the tiling was not quoted as high as it was through an ID. I still laugh about it because I'm stubborn like that. After my 1st appointment with HDB, I'd be able to set an time with the seller so that I can bring the contractor over to carry out measurements, talk him through some of the changes I want before I get the final quote.

The theme of the house is to date is ...nothing. We want it to be cosy and relaxing since it's our sanctuary outside of work. I like things close to nature, like wood and stone. Metal is okay as long as it doesn't turn out to be too industrial and I don't think Scandinavian suits our characters.  I'd like the house to look soothing, and the colours beige, brown, grey, cream will be the primary colours I'm using. Both of us have poor eyesight thanks to the industries we're in, and the last thing we want is a house that is all white with glaring white lights. I am also a terrible housekeeper so I think a white house will be a living nightmare for me.

To keep this blog alive, I'll share some the furniture and accessories I'd been eyeing and saving up for, in the next post.

the theme of the house is...nothing? Cracked me up as my house is theme-less and is still theme-less. I don't even know how to describe it only to put it as 'I want it my way', even the colors and materials used for my living and kitchen contrast is wayyyyyyy off. The philosophy is to impress yourself, not others. 

I agree Bipps. I had a lot of problems trying to describe what I wanted to IDs especially when they asked me what type of theme I was after. I could only tell them what I didn't want, and they'd give me this look.... anyway, whatever makes us happy I guess. I showed them some of my shortlisted furniture and they usually say "Oh but this is industrial". I don't understand why everything has to fit into a box, especially when the things that are readily available are usually dictated by current trends, so I don't find it an issue mixing and matching styles.

If you remember in the 1980s where alot of homes had this theme where they went after bold colors like black, red, blue for furniture and bulky TV consoles, bar counters, kitchen cabinets with see through glass to double up their kitchen cabinet as display cabinets? I wouldn't let anyone in my home if it looked like that now. That was the 'to-go-for look' that many designers back than encouraged their clients to do up. 

Here are some of the stuff we'll be buying in the coming months:

1) Bookcase from Crate & Barrel. I'd persuaded the Darkling to agree to a smaller bookcase since a longer one (2m odd) would take up too much of our tiny hallway. I have a lot of books but not that many books.

29243g3.jpg

2) Leather Hendrix sofa from OM. This is a huge momma so we'd opted for the smallest which is still a tad long at 2.79m, so that would take all our organizing skills to put this in an appropriate location that would not make the living room look tiny. I'd like two people to be able to stretch out on this without smelling each other's toes or back of heads (whichever floats your boat). The tangerine colour was a challenge the Darkling threw me, and I hope I will be able to work something out.

10dipt4.jpg

3) Bluestone coffee table from Crate & Barrel. Thank goodness we settled on one rather than two tables. The tables are 90X90cm. Two are too long for the L-shape sofa length we selected and it would also dominate 30% of the living area. 2 also broke one of my piggy banks.

10cngoi.jpg

4) The famous Line console from Grafunkt. This was a love story that started about 2 years ago and I'm happy to say my love has not waivered. I'm getting it in walnut.

rvzl28.jpg

4) Hitachi Fridge. We'd be selecting the black one and I forgot which model this is. It has 2 doors (more space-planning on my part :( ) and I think it has a slightly mirrored finish. We had ridiculously settled on one of the mid-sized ones (600 over litres) because we've been deprived of fridge space for more than half a decade. The salesperson convinced us that this fridge was designed for small homes- it has extra depth and yet it is narrow in width, so it shouldn't be a problem fitting it through a small HDB doorway. We are so in love with this fridge that we have start scaring salespeople in various department stores that we're here to see our 3P girlfriend whenever we happen to pass by.

24enev6.jpg

5) Finally my 2nd love affair (shsshh don't tell the fridge and the console). I'd been looking at this sink and talking about it until the Darkling rolls her eyes like Pavlov's dog hearing the doorbell at the mention of "apronfront sink". This is the Kraus Apronfront Single Bowl Sink. I've not decided if I needed a 30 inch or 33 inch (not sure which one will fit a wok). Previously I was drooling over a similar sink from Kohler, but it is not as deep and buying it would be another indent (the sofa, bookcase and coffee table all require 3-4 mths of indent shipping).

2ymaknn.jpg

It's not that eating is not important to me, but I've decided to leave the dining table till the last since I would be so broke by then that I can only eat my mixed rice on top of a newspaper covering my Bluestone coffee table.

Till next time then!

50 minutes ago, bipps said:

If you remember in the 1980s where alot of homes had this theme where they went after bold colors like black, red, blue for furniture and bulky TV consoles, bar counters, kitchen cabinets with see through glass to double up their kitchen cabinet as display cabinets? I wouldn't let anyone in my home if it looked like that now. That was the 'to-go-for look' that many designers back than encouraged their clients to do up. 

I remember I remember! OMG! That bar counter where everyone hid their expensive Hennessy behind the sliding door at the back.

I lived through the red velvet sofa era. My parents had blue floor tiles that looked like water shot with copper pieces, matched with a blue and white paisely-patterned wallpaper. And Mexican carved totem pole statues (they also hung out with mexican-carved-totem-pole- owning friends, so it was everywhere I went).  And the 'forest/ lake scene' wallpaper with its eternal deer/ swan. That scene and those animals never die. I'd let people into my home just because I'd want to see their faces and stare at them in defiance. :P

1 hour ago, Catt said:

I agree Bipps. I had a lot of problems trying to describe what I wanted to IDs especially when they asked me what type of theme I was after. I could only tell them what I didn't want, and they'd give me this look.... anyway, whatever makes us happy I guess. I showed them some of my shortlisted furniture and they usually say "Oh but this is industrial". I don't understand why everything has to fit into a box, especially when the things that are readily available are usually dictated by current trends, so I don't find it an issue mixing and matching styles.

Haha Catt, it's the same for me. I also dunno what theme. Just went to talk to IDs . My ID has labeled my theme Modern Classic, but I really don't know what that means. The most important is that I'm happy with whatever my ID is suggesting.

1 hour ago, Catt said:

Here are some of the stuff we'll be buying in the coming months:

1) Bookcase from Crate & Barrel. I'd persuaded the Darkling to agree to a smaller bookcase since a longer one (2m odd) would take up too much of our tiny hallway. I have a lot of books but not that many books.

29243g3.jpg

2) Leather Hendrix sofa from OM. This is a huge momma so we'd opted for the smallest which is still a tad long at 2.79m, so that would take all our organizing skills to put this in an appropriate location that would not make the living room look tiny. I'd like two people to be able to stretch out on this without smelling each other's toes or back of heads (whichever floats your boat). The tangerine colour was a challenge the Darkling threw me, and I hope I will be able to work something out.

10dipt4.jpg

3) Bluestone coffee table from Crate & Barrel. Thank goodness we settled on one rather than two tables. The tables are 90X90cm. Two are too long for the L-shape sofa length we selected and it would also dominate 30% of the living area. 2 also broke one of my piggy banks.

10cngoi.jpg

4) The famous Line console from Grafunkt. This was a love story that started about 2 years ago and I'm happy to say my love has not waivered. I'm getting it in walnut.

rvzl28.jpg

4) Hitachi Fridge. We'd be selecting the black one and I forgot which model this is. It has 2 doors (more space-planning on my part :( ) and I think it has a slightly mirrored finish. We had ridiculously settled on one of the mid-sized ones (600 over litres) because we've been deprived of fridge space for more than half a decade. The salesperson convinced us that this fridge was designed for small homes- it has extra depth and yet it is narrow in width, so it shouldn't be a problem fitting it through a small HDB doorway. We are so in love with this fridge that we have start scaring salespeople in various department stores that we're here to see our 3P girlfriend whenever we happen to pass by.

24enev6.jpg

5) Finally my 2nd love affair (shsshh don't tell the fridge and the console). I'd been looking at this sink and talking about it until the Darkling rolls her eyes like Pavlov's dog hearing the doorbell at the mention of "apronfront sink". This is the Kraus Apronfront Single Bowl Sink. I've not decided if I needed a 30 inch or 33 inch (not sure which one will fit a wok). Previously I was drooling over a similar sink from Kohler, but it is not as deep and buying it would be another indent (the sofa, bookcase and coffee table all require 3-4 mths of indent shipping).

2ymaknn.jpg

It's not that eating is not important to me, but I've decided to leave the dining table till the last since I would be so broke by then that I can only eat my mixed rice on top of a newspaper covering my Bluestone coffee table.

Till next time then!

Just wanted to pop in to say that I love love love the same range of Hitachi made-in-japan fridges, I'm getting the one-door black version and I totally get how you would want to see it everytime you pop into an electronics store, because I totally drag my husband to do so.

59 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

Just wanted to pop in to say that I love love love the same range of Hitachi made-in-japan fridges, I'm getting the one-door black version and I totally get how you would want to see it everytime you pop into an electronics store, because I totally drag my husband to do so.

It's so beautiful right!! I know I'm totally gushing over it, and I get so happy when people start buying it (like my colleague for her new place).

1 minute ago, Catt said:

It's so beautiful right!! I know I'm totally gushing over it, and I get so happy when people start buying it (like my colleague for her new place).

Hahaha lol yeah I was so excited about it when I actually got to buy it that I showed it to another colleague and she's now going to buy it for her place as well. Lol.

1 hour ago, JohnJohn said:

Haha Catt, it's the same for me. I also dunno what theme. Just went to talk to IDs . My ID has labeled my theme Modern Classic, but I really don't know what that means. The most important is that I'm happy with whatever my ID is suggesting.

I've heard of Modern Contemporary, Modern Scandi, Scandi-Industrial, Modern Loft, Eclectic (my favorite since it just means rojak)  and I've no clue what it means either. 

But I am happy for you, it's nice feeling that someone is going to project manage the reno without you having to worry about what comes first and last.

1) Tiled flooring. It's a personal preference. I've everything against vinyl and laminates, don't ask me why.

Perfectly understood. It is just that unexplainable irking feeling that comes around haunting yet impeccably unmistakable kinda embedded in the DNA even before the dinosaurs walk the earth.

2) Apronfront sink. Either you think your sub-cons can install that or they can't. Don't ask me weird s**t like whether I have installation guides or if I could change my choice of sinks.

Straight as an arroe. Duly noted, walk the talk and put the hand to work and dont promise the moon and deliver a baboon.

3) 2.79 meter long L-shaped couch. No, I cannot change it to a non-L-Shape couch, and no I cannot make the couch shorter because my girlfriend LOVES that OM couch. You're a designer right? Plan the space!

It is a good start. At least one think you know you will want.

4) 2 meter long bookcase. My girlfriend loves it. End of story. Fit it in.

Pieces of the puzzle falling in. Tips the scale and let all know what to plan around.

5) Caeserstone countertop. My girlfriend loves to cook and she is cooking for me until the day one of us dies first. Yes, I know it is pricey but it's not anything I've not factored for.

This is a piece of nice stone to have. Like you, I can fathom the difficulty of incorporating it with simple planning.

Before anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable, I'd factored in all kinds of angles and plans to fit the stuff in. There were some cases that the ID's design would be compromised that I did relent on the size/ type of furniture. And I only relented because I got so bored being the one coming up with the solution and yet being expected to pay $50-$60K to solve design issues.

Unreasonable is overkill. Things you want falls well within the wants and needs of a reno.

A good ID should be able to work their magic and plan according to them. Yes, maybe a little tweaking here and there but not outright omit and reject.

8 hours ago, Catt said:

Pity that you had made your decision, else would have introduced mine to you. Flexible ID with meticulous mind-set of a contactor. Never reject my ideas but only to either improve it better or simply shedding light to other aspects where I am convinced to gun down my own ideas.