Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gumbokins

RENOVATION IS COMING #gameofhomes

6 hours ago, gumbokins said:

Dust has settled a bit..electricians putting up lights, carpenters still working on the kitchen

2ym697n.jpg

I actually chose a lovely green laminate as a backing for the bookshelf but we made a rather unfortunate mistake of painting the walls a similar green :( 

the silvery parts will be covered with glass because it's a whiteboard (for very tall people, hmm). inside is the shoerack and DB board and SMARTBOX thingy. the carpenter made a makeshift doorstop on the door to prevent the doorknob from hitting the cabinet door.

We are contemplating having the main door open on the other side so that it won't bang on the cabinet. does anyone know if we have to change the door frame if we want to do this?

34oy0zp.jpg

yesss counter space. i was wondering where to put a dishrack, was thinking of doing a wall mount. but now got that little sliver of place next to the sink...

sg4vav.jpg

the study and our window storage bench. we don't have a sofa outside (it's in the TV room, our lovely IKEA leather sofa) so may be a little limited in terms of seating. My cousin made one at her house and I thought it was the nicest thing ever. will be getting a cushion to put on top.

there will be two eubiq strips hiding underneath, one corner will be dedicated to charging our devices. 

OMG I love your blue kitchen cabinet! Is it laminate or spray painted??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
5 hours ago, blackainmamba said:

OMG I love your blue kitchen cabinet! Is it laminate or spray painted??

laminate from Lamitak 

now waiting for the countertop from

kompacplus!

On 27 August 2016 at 9:27 PM, gumbokins said:

After 6 weeks of quiet (actually I have been busy shopping), RENOVATION IS HERE!

Hacking in progress

2dvue5d.jpg

10sdd82.jpg

there is some feeling of sadness to see the house torn down like this...

Andrew also took us shopping at Inter Bathroom and Kitchen Gallery. I didn't take pics of anything I bought, though! Will make a trip down next week to photo everything. Basically bought the rest of the house there: WCs, sinks, faucets, storage heater, instant heater....wrangled for a discount, can't remember how much I got.

Ceiling fans - we forked out for a Haiku and bought Samaires for the other rooms. We will have a total of 6 ceiling fans in the house.

Hob - bought a 2 zone induction hob from the TEKA 'sale' for $770

Inspired by the $300k EM reno that was featured in Home and Decor August, we decided to re-do the layouts of the upstairs bathrooms, making the MT larger. Wheee~

We also did away with the wrought iron window grills and will be getting simple alu grills in their place.

Slowly...but surely the bill is creeping upwards.....

Teka 2 zone induction hob for $770? Win!! We bought a bosch 2 zone induction hob for $900. 

On 23 September 2016 at 5:46 PM, gumbokins said:

In the midst of it all, we're packing packing packing! Initially I purchased boxes from cartonboxsupply but then figured I should have just gotten them from Taobao as well! At half the price, some more...quality wise both boxes are thick and sturdy.

We will be using Assalaamualaikum Enterprise to move. $350 per 14ft lorry and subsequent trips by half-lorry loads. I saw them working nearby and was quite impressed by their work, and my colleague recommended them highly as well.

Taobao also carries boxes? I didn't think of that. We were wondering where to get them for cheap and good! YAYY! :good:

25 minutes ago, YellowStranger said:

Teka 2 zone induction hob for $770? Win!! We bought a bosch 2 zone induction hob for $900. 

Taobao also carries boxes? I didn't think of that. We were wondering where to get them for cheap and good! YAYY! :good:

i didn't do any market research, thought 770 is not really sale price ? love how compact it is though...can't wait to play

YES i also didn't think about buying the boxes on TB but buy early yah, they took about 3 weeks to deliver.

15 hours ago, gumbokins said:

we took FOREVER to decide on toilet doors. everything he showed me i said was ugly, we almost gave up!

common toilet has standard bi-fold though. 

caveat about this door...maybe it's because of where the light is (right now it's hanging off the pipe on the right side) but urm, can actually see the person inside ah. here you can see my tiler inside, he's wearing yellow and red. But our toilet is along the walkway to the MBR so in a way, no 'free show' for people :D

i think my guests wun mind la, common toilet nestled in kitchen and mbr toilet is only for my use :notti:

the current selection of bifold doors are really terrible..

16 hours ago, gumbokins said:

Dust has settled a bit..electricians putting up lights, carpenters still working on the kitchen

2ym697n.jpg

I actually chose a lovely green laminate as a backing for the bookshelf but we made a rather unfortunate mistake of painting the walls a similar green :( 

the silvery parts will be covered with glass because it's a whiteboard (for very tall people, hmm). inside is the shoerack and DB board and SMARTBOX thingy. the carpenter made a makeshift doorstop on the door to prevent the doorknob from hitting the cabinet door.

We are contemplating having the main door open on the other side so that it won't bang on the cabinet. does anyone know if we have to change the door frame if we want to do this?

34oy0zp.jpg

yesss counter space. i was wondering where to put a dishrack, was thinking of doing a wall mount. but now got that little sliver of place next to the sink...

sg4vav.jpg

the study and our window storage bench. we don't have a sofa outside (it's in the TV room, our lovely IKEA leather sofa) so may be a little limited in terms of seating. My cousin made one at her house and I thought it was the nicest thing ever. will be getting a cushion to put on top.

there will be two eubiq strips hiding underneath, one corner will be dedicated to charging our devices. 

So in love with your navy blue kitchen cabinets right now! It was my mini dream to have a navy kitchen (I still live in hope of repainting my ikea doors many years in the future that colour) and it looks really good!!! And the black trim really makes it pop!

Is the SMARTBOX the one that Andrew is doing now? We saw the ads on TV and was wondering whether its his product.

4 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

So in love with your navy blue kitchen cabinets right now! It was my mini dream to have a navy kitchen (I still live in hope of repainting my ikea doors many years in the future that colour) and it looks really good!!! And the black trim really makes it pop!

Is the SMARTBOX the one that Andrew is doing now? We saw the ads on TV and was wondering whether its his product.

yes smartbox is his baby! he was quite insistent..ha! he never ask u?  i shall let him know tt u r keen lol!

more electrical work and plumbing today

kitchen toilet

30tqqa1.jpg

we installed a shower, no heater, for those quick rinse offs.

(from earlier in the week) Kitchen toilet door

2ag3s7d.jpg

My daughter was also there today for a look-see and she went "MUMMY EVERYONE CAN SEE YOU IN THE TOILET wouldn't that be awkward" :P

i can already hear my aunties and uncles tut-tutting disapprovingly

23 hours ago, gumbokins said:

yes smartbox is his baby! he was quite insistent..ha! he never ask u?  i shall let him know tt u r keen lol!

Hahaha no no lah just curious. Actually we can probably claim to have started him on his smartbox thing cos originally we wanted to have a smartplug for our retractable awning (imagine, can retract and extend awning when at work! So when it's going to rain you quickly extend the retractable awning even if you're outside the house!) and we talked to him at length about how the switch for the retractable awning needs to be a certain way so we can use a smartplug (but in the end we gave up the idea cos will need a weather-proof smartplug) but because of all our talking he went to go research into it and then this smartbox thing happened. He told us about it! I just forgot the brand and when I saw the TV ads we were like, wait, is this the one he was talking about?

On 10/3/2016 at 5:07 PM, gumbokins said:

Reached my unit today to find it in a real frenzy!

My electrician was installing downlights

The tilers were finishing up the kitchen and toilets

There were like 5-6 people doing the carpentry

We also decided to postpone the move-in date to give everyone more time to get their things done...

GPGT-

came out of the lift to see this! MY BLUM SPACE TOWERRR (upside down)

2v9b2hv.jpg

either part of my bookcase or window storage bench

rjqqme.jpg

study area

r078tx.jpg

feature bookcase

x3k06.jpg

kitchen cabinets and bar counter 

302qq0n.jpg

akacex.jpg

To anyone reading:

The thing about L-shaped cabinets is that you always end up with that unusable corner. initially we talked about putting the corner doors like this: 

2mr6xkw.jpg

but that didn't happen

What are the potential problems with this layout? Anything I should look out for?

Hi,

May I ask what is the code for the blue lamitak's laminate?

Afraid to get the wrong shade of blue.

Edited by Starrain

1 hour ago, ricepapergirl said:

Hahaha no no lah just curious. Actually we can probably claim to have started him on his smartbox thing cos originally we wanted to have a smartplug for our retractable awning (imagine, can retract and extend awning when at work! So when it's going to rain you quickly extend the retractable awning even if you're outside the house!) and we talked to him at length about how the switch for the retractable awning needs to be a certain way so we can use a smartplug (but in the end we gave up the idea cos will need a weather-proof smartplug) but because of all our talking he went to go research into it and then this smartbox thing happened. He told us about it! I just forgot the brand and when I saw the TV ads we were like, wait, is this the one he was talking about?

yeah that would be crazy cool! totally worth making that smarthome enabled :)

suan him and ask him for commission!

27 minutes ago, Starrain said:

Hi,

May I ask what is the code for the blue lamitak's laminate?

Afraid to get the wrong shade of blue.

hello!

i have to check again and let you know :) i went through a few catalogues before i found just the right blue

Just now, gumbokins said:

hello!

i have to check again and let you know :) i went through a few catalogues before i found just the right blue

I got the lamitak samples. But from the samples not so nice or my imagination not so good!!

Will be waiting for your reply. Thank youuuuu! :D