Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hello everybody! I have been secretly reading this since I have applied for my SBF and now that my key collection is happening soon, I'm really nervous about it!

I am intending to handle the design and reno on my own by engaging a contractor my friend intro to me but I am still kinda lost about the procedures and stuff like that. Hoping to get some inputs and ideas and also to document this journey down since I realised that this is the best part about getting a place of my own and I will miss this phase once it's over! 

For a start, here's my floor plan! Do feel free to interact fellow tbloggers :)

image.jpeg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats on being a new home owner! and welcome!

I'm so envious of your bathroom size! Is this place in the northern part of SG?

Hi trcd! Thank you!

Yes this is the northern part of SG, how did you know from the floor plan?! I'm amazed! Hahaha

Is the bathroom considered big? I'm totally clueless what's the usual size and I think the kitchen and bedrooms are kind of small? :(

I think the floorplan is slightly similar to my colleague's in the north, so it's a lucky guess!

Your smaller bathroom is bigger than my bigger bathroom! Considered big to me, haha. :bath:

The bedroom sizes are quite normal, though the kitchen is indeed a little small (ok for me, as will not be doing much cooking). I suppose you will need to maximise storage in the kitchen and make use of the household shelter.

When will reno start?

Hi guys! Sorry for being MIA! It was 7th month and I have collected my keys one day before that so no renovation works yet!

Now that its mid autumn soon, i still havent gotten a reliable contractor/ID yet. So much things are in my TB shopping carts yet to be carted out as well. The sequence of works are all wrong. Hahahaha. 

So if you guys have any reliable contractors/ID who could help me oversee the reno and give constructive inputs, (i will be overseas for a week so im in a dilemma) please feel free to pm me! 

Thanks in advance. 

*p.s. im really noob in these man :(

If you kinda know what you want (theme/colour schemes), can go for a contractor to keep costs lower as there will not be designing fees. There may be drawings included for visualisation. Some things to consider would be what are the built-in carpentry you need (wardrobe/kitchen)... Certain furniture like tv consoles/shoe rack may be purchased as a standalone units. Look at the floor plan and figure out what you must have and approx placement. That would help.

An ID would usually charge for designing fees, but you still need to have an idea of what you are looking for in terms of design.

I think it is wise to start researching a month or 2 before you commit. Do get a few quotations to compare.

• Like 1

Welcome @bambeeboom! So happy to see another 3-roomer. I really envy the size of your bathrooms!

I did everything not in order either, seriously anyhow "BOM"! And I didn't have a theme in mind or colours. I could only come up with a set of criteria like easy to clean floors...no white lights... no plastic chairs etc.

But I think what helps is printing out a nice big floorplan of your place ( I used my company's A2 printer tee-hee) and Blue-tack a few somewhere you always walk by. Sometimes while I'm putting on my make-up an idea will strike me and I will quickly reach over and mark it out on the floorplan. Once you settled on what you want appearing in your house (be it to knock down a wall or put up a built-in, or even a moveable table/ sofa/ cabinet), you can start making a list of must-haves. That will be your groundwork for your ID/contractor. Other things that helped me were pictures of homes or parts of houses that inspired me (E.g. my subway walls from Pinterest). I'm sure you will have things that you die-die must have.

trcd is right in that ID charges for designing fees, and contractors usually don't. Both have their pros and cons. I'd expect the ID to be the project manager and for contractors, I ended up pm-ing them 50% of the time as the main contractor was running between worksites. So far what I've seen from people on Renotalk is that if you know what you want already, a contractor is enough. But if you do not and you really need input on the design element, then go with an ID. With a contractor you are really relying on yourself, so you must have the confidence to know that the cabinet laminate colour you are choosing is something that will look good to you as a whole in the end. Having said that (sorry I am really long-winded), we are more forgiving with our own choices vs. those made by others for us.

• Like 1

Wow @trcd @Catt 

You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for the kind inputs and for taking time to pen down so much valuable suggestions to help me! I have actually ideas for bathroom kitchen bedrooms living rooms everything, just that I'm unsure whether everything will look good altogether. Will contractor just follow exactly what I wanna do without taking into consideration for space planning? This is actually my only worry as of now, hehe. 

Anw i have shortlisted a few ID and contractors. Theres this one which i see positive feedbacks but when i texted him he basically replied, brg your floorplan to my office i quote on the spot. The end. Should i go ahead? What are the criteria u guys look out for when looking for id/contractors? Only the portfolio n years of exp? Cos im someone who goes by feel hahahaha not sure if i shld apply that in this case. hahhaaha

16 minutes ago, bambeeboom said:

Wow @trcd @Catt 

You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for the kind inputs and for taking time to pen down so much valuable suggestions to help me! I have actually ideas for bathroom kitchen bedrooms living rooms everything, just that I'm unsure whether everything will look good altogether. Will contractor just follow exactly what I wanna do without taking into consideration for space planning? This is actually my only worry as of now, hehe. 

Anw i have shortlisted a few ID and contractors. Theres this one which i see positive feedbacks but when i texted him he basically replied, brg your floorplan to my office i quote on the spot. The end. Should i go ahead? What are the criteria u guys look out for when looking for id/contractors? Only the portfolio n years of exp? Cos im someone who goes by feel hahahaha not sure if i shld apply that in this case. hahhaaha

You need to plan your own space with a contractor. Depending on character he may or may not give you opinions on space etc. The contractor I worked with was basically just taking orders unless I prompted him for technical practicalities. I learnt not to assume as what I think is normal may not be to the contractor. My colleague who is 1.75m tall assumed they would adjust the basin height. Her ID didn't guide the carpenter and she has to live with a standard 80cm high basin that is too low for her.

I think if you can, ask to see the contractor or IDs past projects in real life, then you can gauge the finishing yourself. Also you gotta have chemistry with your ID/ contractor because you guys will be communicating a lot.

2 hours ago, bambeeboom said:

Wow @trcd @Catt 

Personally, I used a contractor as I sort of knew what i wanted and didn't want anyone to persuade me otherwise :D 

The IDs or contractors will look at your floor plan for area (please photocopy at least 10 pieces!), and give you itemised quotation. If you find the quote acceptable, it would be a good idea to let them take a look at your place, so they can give suggestions. Likewise, you can tell them what you want, for e.g., a built-in wardrobe on one wall of master bedroom; built-in cabinet with shoe rack along a wall; ceiling fan in the living room; sofa on which side, etc. This way, it is easier for them to give you a quotation based on the length of the cabinetry. You can also tell them what you don't want, for e.g., industrial look. You can ask them how best to maximise space in your kitchen (maybe have to get a smaller fridge too). Good to have ideas!

@Catt is absolutely right in saying "we are more forgiving with our own choices vs. those made by others for us." I love that quote.

I think I have similar sized kitchen as yours. Apart from the kitchen the others looks big compared to mine.

How many sq meters is your 3 rm?

You can consider remove the walls of the service yard to extend the kitchen space thru. This was something that I didn't do but sort of regretted now as severely lack counter space. I have to "line dry", hang my wok and frying pans on my clothes rack after washing.

Your floor plan looks like a good candidate for open kitchen concept. A lot of fellow RT members do that and looks very nice.

15 hours ago, bambeeboom said:

Wow @trcd @Catt 

Hi!

I actually think most contractors and IDs will do that "bring your floorplan to my office/to some meetup place and I quote for you". On the spot is nice though, some of them usually take it back after discussing with you for some time and then maybe give you the quotation after a week or something.

Loving the ideas already given (@Catt I really love that floorplan on wall idea!!!), in terms of space planning, have you considered trying to do a quick 3D plan for yourself? There's the slightly more involved Google Sketchup (free), otherwise there are also loads of free interior design websites running on flash etc that you can input the size of your rooms, and then put in furniture and see it in 3D and figure out for yourself whether the space is enough. Google Sketchup allows you to input exactly how big your furniture/pieces would be so you can see real size, but if you don't have a good idea yet there are apps which can just put in generic furniture and you can kind of tell how much space is needed or whether it's far too ambitious to be putting all that furniture in that layout in that room etc. I personally prefer to have all of that visualized and can see it for myself before I talk to a contractor/ID, though the IDs would probably try and do space planning for you. Also depends on the ID, some of them are well-known for space planning rather than design.

Another quite useful thing I think you might want to try out is to check out quotations. Some ID websites put out complete itemized quotations (usually for like a promotion or something) but you can see from that kind of quotation what kind of work is involved. And maybe what kind of decisions you would have to make which you never realized. Like, how much of existing wall/floor/ceiling are you going to hack? Do you need skirting (and what kind of skirting)? What kind of floor (tile? concrete? vinyl? wood?) Sometimes that helps in visualizing the full extent of works you would need to do.

Thank you all so much for the useful inputs! 

It has been a hectic month for me as I was overseas most of the time and had to squeeze time out for contractor/ID sourcing. Almost wanted to give up and just get the next person who replies my email hahahaha but thank god I had the privilege of getting a sincere contractor who don't mind helping me out with so many things. 

What i was pretty impressed was that he has been very prompt in replying my emails, able to give me what I want, even tho some of the stuff I didnt tell him, I have no idea how he read my mind honestly speaking. So I'm gonna meet him this upcoming week on site to discuss further and hopefully able to seal the deal and start cracking. 

Meanwhile, I have already started carting some stuff from Taobao and just settled my bed (very important item imo hahahhaa). 

Sneak peek!

Will continue to update!!! 

Till then, thank you for reading hehehehe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg