Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jwelby

HDB unit water stop valve

Hi

I am renting an old HDB unit. One of the taps is leaking (dripping) and before I do the repairs, want to kill off water supply to the whole unit. 

Attached pic is what the water supply pipe arrangement outside my unit looks like.. The shaft that sticks out (circled in pic) is grooved. There are no other valves available.

Am I supposed to turn the shaft using a wrench to cut off the supply? Or get some proper valve handle that will slot into the grooves of the shaft and then turn using that?

Checked the staircase landing and that has only a single big red shutoff valve. Probably for the whole floor.

Water valve.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The shaft you circle is correct. At the end, it should be a square. You can buy a proper handle from the neighbourhood hardware shop  to slot into the square end and close the valve. Just take a pic and show it the hardware shop seller. If using a spanner/wrench, you need to be more careful. It's brass, so it's soft and will damage easily.

Normally there is a valve below each tap to let us cut off water to that tap, so you don't need to cut off supply to the whole house. But you mentioned it is an old house, so not sure if it's available. You'll need to look below the sink. Good luck.