Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
flyingpig123

Should I overlay the tiles in bathroom or hack first?

We just bought a resale 4-room HDB. It is about 10 years. The previous owner did not do renovation for bathroom before, so everything is from HDB.

The existing wall tile looks okay to me but the flooring is a bit messy due to wear and tear. Here is some photos:

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

I was thinking to hack everything(wall and fooling) and lay new tiles. Then I found it's a bit expensive for us. (after get some quotations)

Just want to ask for advice if it is okay I just overlay the floor tile. Then I can save money for hacking and laying wall tile.

Of course I do not want to save money now then later end up with spending more to fix in the future.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The floor actually look OK. Maybe you can check with your contractor if they can  do a chemical wash on the floor tiles and patch up the grout lines.

Mine is worst, the previous owner had use anti-slip mat, so there are black stain where the mats were. My contractor tried acid also cannot get ride of it. It is the common toilet, so I let it be. My master bedroom toilet, I hack wall & floor b'cos they had a bathtub in it (roll eyes).

• Like 1

Overlaying is about laying a new set of tiles over the pre-existing ones. So if your existing tiles have been around for a while and start warping or popping up, this will create a chain effect that’s easily seen in the new layer. No matter what quality of new tiles are overlaid, they will be at the mercy of the existing ones.
As for redoing the floors, this is where it pays off. Since everything has been replaced, you’re basically granted with brand new flooring. And if the work is done by a trusted contractor, your new flooring will come with 2 years warranty! so for long term redoing it wpuld be best.

• Like 1

since there are no broken tiles or gaps and the flooring is in good condition,overlaying is a good option to consider as it can be done quickly and with minimal mess. Provided the new floor will be thicker and will no longer sit on same level as the other flooring materials when they meet. It would be wise to overlay the flooring of the adjacent spaces as well. But caution, it is recommended for small areas of less than 100sqf, as new tiles might pop up for larger areas. For larger areas stick with lamiination or vinyl flooring

overlay is cheaper and easier yet do check the items below:

1. if the existing waterproofing still in good conditions 

2. do ask your contractor about how they going to do on the tile sloping junctions around floor trap as you will need to raise and replace your existing old trap

for long terms staying will suggest to replacing with new tile and water proofing membrane too. But I will be more expensive as you need to hack the at least bottom 1ft of wall tile to redo the water proofing on these wall level as well....