• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 whoelse

whoelse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

My aunty rented her house out to some foreigners and now she found bedbug in her house after they move out. Unless she throw away all her furnitures, the thingy keep returning even we have try to kill/clean them.

I think the last thing I will recommend is to ask her to get a pest control expert. Anyone house infested with bedbug before? Any insecticide I can get for her to kill all this terrible pest? Any experience to share?

#2 zirhk3355

zirhk3355

• RenoTalk Forum Moderators
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Aiyo, another victim.

I had this problem before and I suspected that I brought the bed bugs back from my trip to a holiday island. Unfortunately, I could never solve the problem and after a few weeks I will get bitten with sores again. Tried all methods like those treatment water from DIY stores, but to no avail.

In the end, I called for pest control; 'smoked' the whole unit for about a few hours (with all windows/doors closed), and finally solved.

Do read up on some facts for bed bugs: They can actually go into hiding for like 1 to 2 months after just one feed, sleeping away in some unreachable corner of your bed/furniture and come out for their meal later...

#3 whoelse

whoelse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Aiyo, another victim.

I had this problem before and I suspected that I brought the bed bugs back from my trip to a holiday island. Unfortunately, I could never solve the problem and after a few weeks I will get bitten with sores again. Tried all methods like those treatment water from DIY stores, but to no avail.

In the end, I called for pest control; 'smoked' the whole unit for about a few hours (with all windows/doors closed), and finally solved.

Do read up on some facts for bed bugs: They can actually go into hiding for like 1 to 2 months after just one feed, sleeping away in some unreachable corner of your bed/furniture and come out for their meal later...

Wow, 'smoked' the house? Will it stink or cause health hazzard? Definately will recommend to her. Is bedbug common problem? I never imagine this kind of things do happen in urban life...
Any number/company I can call?

Edited by whoelse, 08 May 2007 - 09:25 PM.

#4 zirhk3355

zirhk3355

• 2,542 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

Wow, 'smoked' the house? Will it stink or cause health hazzard? Definately will recommend to her. Is bedbug common problem? I never imagine this kind of things do happen in urban life...
Any number/company I can call?

Of course you have to step out of the house lah! According to the guy, its best to leave it enclosed for as long as possible, so after the process, I brought my family to JB for shopping and dinner, one whole day then come back...

#5 raincole

raincole

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

I have encounter with it 2 times.
1. Old house, throw away the bedframe
2. New house, only affected in 1 room, took the mattress out to sun (kena stolen), so new mattress.

Both cases, no pest control, so i'm kinda lucky.

#6 zirhk3355

zirhk3355

• 2,542 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

2. New house, only affected in 1 room, took the mattress out to sun (kena stolen), so new mattress.

Haha, u r very funny...pity the thief lah...

#7 lin_stapler

lin_stapler

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

There is a spray from NTUC. The container is green... sorry forgot the name. You can find it together with other insecticide. There are some pictures of all sorts of bugs on the container. It is really good and odorless.

My friend recommended this tip but I don't have time to experiment on it. Leave durian skin near the areas infected by bedbugs. They can't stand the smell. My friend vouch that it works and she tried it before.

For me... the spray works. Also I throw away my wooden bedframe and replace with metal ones. After all the pest is called bedbugs. I guess it don't like metal beds hee hee :bangwall:

#8 whoelse

whoelse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

Leave durian skin near the areas infected by bedbugs. They can't stand the smel" - So they drop dead or shift house to neighbour house? :rolleyes:

There is a spray from NTUC. The container is green... sorry forgot the name. You can find it together with other insecticide. There are some pictures of all sorts of bugs on the container. It is really good and odorless.

My friend recommended this tip but I don't have time to experiment on it. Leave durian skin near the areas infected by bedbugs. They can't stand the smell. My friend vouch that it works and she tried it before.

For me... the spray works. Also I throw away my wooden bedframe and replace with metal ones. After all the pest is called bedbugs. I guess it don't like metal beds hee hee :D

#9 lin_stapler

lin_stapler

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Leave durian skin near the areas infected by bedbugs. They can't stand the smel" - So they drop dead or shift house to neighbour house? :rolleyes:

They hold their breath until they suffocate and die :D

#10 raincole

raincole

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Haha, u r very funny...pity the thief lah...

Karma... do bad thing will have bad happenings...

#11 lovenest

lovenest

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

i guess the real question is HOW TO PREVENT THESE BUGS FROM COMING IN THE FIRST PLACE??

how ah???
plus how do u know its bed bugs??? can see???

#12 whoelse

whoelse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Female bed bugs lay their eggs in secluded areas, depositing up to five a day and 500 during a lifetime. The eggs are tiny, whitish, and hard to see without magnification (individual eggs are about the size of a dust spec). When first laid, the eggs are sticky, causing them to adhere to substrates. Newly hatched nymphs are no bigger than a pinhead. As they grow, they molt (shed their skin) five times before reaching maturity. A blood meal is needed between each successive molt. Under favorable conditions (70 - 90 F), the bugs can complete development in as little as a month, producing three or more generations per year. Cool temperatures or limited access to a blood meal extends the development time. Bed bugs are very resilient. Nymphs can survive months without feeding and the adults for more than a year. Infestations therefore are unlikely to diminish by leaving premises unoccupied.

It often seems that bed bugs arise from nowhere. The bugs are efficient hitchhikers and are usually transported in on luggage, clothing, beds, furniture, etc. Outbreaks can often be traced to travel, especially in countries or cities where bed bugs are common. This is a particular problem for hotels, motels, and apartments, where turnover of occupants is constant. Bed bugs are small, cryptic and agile, escaping detection after crawling into suitcases, boxes, and belongings. The eggs are almost impossible to see when laid on most surfaces. Use of secondhand beds, couches, and furniture is another way that the bugs are transported into previously non-infested dwellings.

Once bed bugs are introduced, they often spread room to room throughout a building. Unlike cockroaches that feed on filth, the level of cleanliness has little to do with most bed bug infestations.

#13 pk_shl

pk_shl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

last time my mum's pl got bedbugs. my grandpa brought it back cos he went downstairs n sit on those rattan chairs den our whole hse kena.my grandpa mattress the worst, my bedframe got alot. my dad & bro use lighter burnt & den mattress exposed strong sunlight(we ve a platform outside our window so we can leave the mattress there).

in the end we changed my bedframe, sofa oso change, grandpa bed change everthing.bought new bed & mattress for him.

luckily after this incident, my mum's blk started upgrading & town council threw away all the rattan chairs at the old folks corner.

#14 kellyla

kellyla

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

Last time I got a indian neighbour who always sun their mattress at the corridor and spray baygon on their mattress.

A few days later my room (corridor unit bedrm) got infested. Slowly they stick to my wooden desk, bed, cupboard, chair

Threw away all the furnitures in my room..but then everytime the neighbour sun their stuff, bed bugs resurface.. into the living room, bedrm again etc. Threw away sofa..everything!

End up we got fed up and shifted house.

#15 Chunky Monkey

Chunky Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

If the infestation is just the bed mattress alone, call in a mattress sanitizing company. I have a contract with De Hygienique. http://www.dh-asia.c...attresssys.html

#16 roger66

roger66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

If the infestation is just the bed mattress alone, call in a mattress sanitizing company. I have a contract with De Hygienique. http://www.dh-asia.c...attresssys.html

I also had this problem and following is the method that I used to destroy the bed bugs.

1) Steam clean the entire bed frame and mattress (At this high temperature, all bugs will be dead)
2) Vacuum the entire bed. (This way, it will cleanup all the dead bed bugs from step and any possible eggs)
3) Use bed bugs medicine around the bed frame and the mattress (http://www.enta.com.sg/)
4) Repeat step 1-3 once a week till 3 months later. then reduce it to 1 a fortnight then to 1 a month for about 1 year or 1.5 years. I am not kidding!:help:!! please note that they are able to go without food for 1 year. so you must be diligent to completely eliminate it.

As humans, you carry may carry the eggs and bugs around. the best method for this is to introduce steam cleaning in your home. This way, you will also kill another germs in the home.

If you have school going children, they may bring it back from school or bus. so good luck.

#17 mel

mel

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (roger66 @ Mar 9 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also had this problem and following is the method that I used to destroy the bed bugs.

1) Steam clean the entire bed frame and mattress (At this high temperature, all bugs will be dead)
2) Vacuum the entire bed. (This way, it will cleanup all the dead bed bugs from step and any possible eggs)
3) Use bed bugs medicine around the bed frame and the mattress (http://www.enta.com.sg/)
4) Repeat step 1-3 once a week till 3 months later. then reduce it to 1 a fortnight then to 1 a month for about 1 year or 1.5 years. I am not kidding!!!!! please note that they are able to go without food for 1 year. so you must be diligent to completely eliminate it.

As humans, you carry may carry the eggs and bugs around. the best method for this is to introduce steam cleaning in your home. This way, you will also kill another germs in the home.

If you have school going children, they may bring it back from school or bus. so good luck.

This topic is very informative, thanks! good.gif

#18 JCase

JCase

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

Horrible things. Had some which I suspected I accidentl;y brought back from Batam Ferry on a golf trip. Took a good 2-mths to eradicate. No necessary to throw furniture away. Recommend a good pest control company (not cheap) and get them to spray everyweek. Also for 2 bloody months I get up at 2-3am in the am, take powerful torchlight and look for the buggers (active at night). Catch and kill them.

I also used this product call VSafe (can get from some NTUC) and spray around bed frames, crevices, cornices every week for abt 3-weeks. Use a sealant to seal gaps and crevices etc.

Finally got rid of the problem. It was **** I tell you. ****.

#19 aaronteresa

aaronteresa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

I too had bed bugs. No idea where they came from. Maybe because of the new bed frame that my dad purchased a while back when I was still living with my parents.

What we did was to remove the bed, looked through at every nook and cranny, removed the bed bugs manually and squishing them.

For the bed frame, it came with a overlaying velcro cover, this was removed and send for dry cleaning.

The frame itself was thoroughly cleaned, sprayed with cans of Baygon and using a stand steam iron, cleaned. I think we killed about 100 plus bed bugs and now the bed is bed bug free.

Scary bit about bed bugs is that they can go on living without a blood meal for 6 months or more and they can hide in every nook and cranny.

#20 SYTan

SYTan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

Very horrible creatures, i found the nest and then killed all of them by hand and threw away the mattress, it was really a bad experience, especially when i get bitten every night for like a month and more. ohmy.gif

#21 ilmare612

ilmare612

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

Omg!! Thanks for the information. My bf brought some back from CAMP!!! During one of his reservist this year. Any reasonable Pest Control company to recommend. I am afraid they will travel with him to our new house when we move sad.gif I am so so scared cos I got bitten many times liao when I am at his place. Worst thing is, the bug should be on the new sofa bed which we bought not too long ago and hoped to bring over to our new place. sob sob sob. help.gif

#22 jeddie

jeddie

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

i too had a tough time with the bed bugs.....was bed bug free for abt 2mth plus...now, they seem to be back coz my son was bitten on his stomach, 5 bites in a straight roll...

i have been trying to eradicate them sinc eearly this yr till now...think we got it from my relative's house, which is few units away...coz my kids go over to play....

and i am planning to shift over to my new house very soon....how to ensure that these pests do not go over?

#23 ilmare612

ilmare612

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (jeddie @ Jul 17 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i too had a tough time with the bed bugs.....was bed bug free for abt 2mth plus...now, they seem to be back coz my son was bitten on his stomach, 5 bites in a straight roll...

i have been trying to eradicate them sinc eearly this yr till now...think we got it from my relative's house, which is few units away...coz my kids go over to play....

and i am planning to shift over to my new house very soon....how to ensure that these pests do not go over?

Hi, I suppose your son is a little boy. You better seek professional help to totally eliminate it. Otherwise, you may try http://www.enta.com.sg. This is what we have learnt from the other forummers but we have yet to try. Don't let it migrate to your new place boy!

#24 lushbelle

lushbelle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

I had this problem last year too.. It was very horrible and torturing, got all the bites and like what Jcase had said always wake up middle of the night to catch it. I think i brought them back from my phuket trip that time.

I didnt throw away the furntiure but i threw away my mattress and all my pillow n bedsheets. I called in the pest control and spray the rooms twice. After that it was free of bugs. But occasionally i do see one running about.

Later around 6months later, i throw all my furiture because i am moving out and i found out there's 2 tennis ball that got struck under my wardrobe infested with the bugs!! I almost fainted and quickly spray the insecticide on them.. Horrible...

#25 ilmare612

ilmare612

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (lushbelle @ Aug 31 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had this problem last year too.. It was very horrible and torturing, got all the bites and like what Jcase had said always wake up middle of the night to catch it. I think i brought them back from my phuket trip that time.

I didnt throw away the furntiure but i threw away my mattress and all my pillow n bedsheets. I called in the pest control and spray the rooms twice. After that it was free of bugs. But occasionally i do see one running about.

Later around 6months later, i throw all my furiture because i am moving out and i found out there's 2 tennis ball that got struck under my wardrobe infested with the bugs!! I almost fainted and quickly spray the insecticide on them.. Horrible...

Hi, din the pest control people clear them all...I mean even the roots of it? How much you paid for this service may i ask?

The bugs seems gone now at my FH's room, but I am still 'haunted' by the incident and am so terrified that he will move it to our new place sad.gif

#26 SmartFool

SmartFool

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (zirhk3355 @ May 8 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you have to step out of the house lah! According to the guy, its best to leave it enclosed for as long as possible, so after the process, I brought my family to JB for shopping and dinner, one whole day then come back...

zirhk how much to smoke th entire place?
was thinkin of just vacumming the place
only thing is that i knw alot of lizards are around cos they always **** around furious.gif

#27 lushbelle

lushbelle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (ilmare612 @ Sep 1 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, din the pest control people clear them all...I mean even the roots of it? How much you paid for this service may i ask?

The bugs seems gone now at my FH's room, but I am still 'haunted' by the incident and am so terrified that he will move it to our new place sad.gif

Ya, the pest control did clear them all. I paid around $300+ to spray for 3 bedrooms. It's by a big pest control company, they will come up n spray one time after that they will do a followup so if there's still bugs around they will spray the 2nd time. I had ask them to spray twice.

And yes those stupid bugs will travel around the rooms because i move in all the 3rooms in my house and each room also got bugs!!

#28 JCase

JCase

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

Normally one will get the bug free clearance if there is no activity for 3-4 months. Only so much a pest control company can do. You need to follow-up very closely. We used Aardwolf, good but **** ex. Clear but I used to get up every a m abt 3-4 am and use a torch light to check. In addition I used a pdt called V-Saf and sprayed on all thye usual surfaces every week for a month. I can easily ise 3-4 bottles a week.

QUOTE (SmartFool @ Sep 1 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
zirhk how much to smoke th entire place?
was thinkin of just vacumming the place
only thing is that i knw alot of lizards are around cos they always **** around furious.gif

erm vacuum not a good idea. They will just live in the bag and escape. You need to dispose of the bad and bag that bag immediately.

#29 travelguide

travelguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

I too had to face this problem after my foreign trip.I think it is a common problem faced by people in most part of the world. Calling the pest controllers is the only solution ,I think.

#30 travelguide

travelguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

you can order for products from www.deadbedbugs.com .They are really good stuffs. I used them to kill the bugs in my house.

#31 travelguide

travelguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Bedbugs are nasty creatures creeping along the beds and sucking our blood at night.It is good if we getrid of them as soon as possible.I called upon www.deadbedbugs.com and saw very good results in my house.

Edited by travelguide, 24 September 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#32 JCase

JCase

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (travelguide @ Sep 24 2008, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bedbugs are nasty creatures creeping along the beds and sucking our blood at night.It is good if we getrid of them as soon as possible.I called upon www.deadbedbugs.com and saw very good results in my house.

They deliver to S'pore?

#33 violet

violet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

Throwing away matress and changing the houses is not easy as it calls for expense. Calling an exterminator is better than that. Even if you opt for that you have to call twice or thrice. Easier option is to get some tips from bedbugbureau.comand eradicarte the bugs permanentlyand sleep in peace and not let the bedbugs bite you!

#34 janina69

janina69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

You should really consult the experts in pest extermination. Besides, you're not even sure if the bedbugs also infested your other home furniture, specially wooden chairs, etc.

#35 andrewtan

andrewtan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

if im not wrong bed bugs can precipitate asthma? im not entirely sure as im do IT. lol

but u shld get pest control

#36 wtc

wtc

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

We got bedbugs problem a few years ago, suspect it's from our maid when she went back to her hometown.

We threw away all mattress, pillow, some bedsheets and divan, and also laminated our bedrooms floors. We got parquet flooring that have gaps after many years, suspected that the bugs were also hiding down in there. So, we decided the laminate over all parquet floors, but before that we mopped the floor with Kerosene/thinner to kill the bugs (advised by the salesman from laminate company).

I was traumatized by the whole episode, so when I bought new bedrame to replace the divan, I bought one that is made of metal (entirely), they can hide in the metal but they like to hide in the woods and fabric better.... and I haven't remove the plastic from my mattress! Got mattress protector, so don't feel the plastic... not so bad.

#37 porkypig

porkypig

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:27 PM

I think once in a while the bed and pillow should be steeam with a steam cleaner...to eliminate odours and kill any pest...

#38 X.H.LI

X.H.LI

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

kaoz.. sound so terrible...
i never steamed my pillow etc leh.... =(

i don have the equipment to do steaming.

suntanning the pillows etc, able to kill the bugs?

#39 hawthorne

hawthorne

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Bedbugs should be left to the experts. I know that is the last thing you will recommend, but that is my advise.

My ex-gf (now wife) house use to kena. we tried all means to get rid of them (use lots of bygon, sun the furniture etc) but they still managed to survive.

In the end we called the experts. They do a complete fogging of the house and everyone have to evacuate it for half the day. In the end, the bed bug problem is solved liao

Edited by hawthorne, 17 November 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#40 GSXR~RACER

GSXR~RACER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

There is one easy way. I knew it at a friend's house during study times many yrs ago. insect sprays and this and that, and even put in sun for days and pour boiling water on furnitures doesn't solve. they are all students renting a flat, and dirty of coz so there're lots of bed bugs.

in the end, they got a recommendation to a Baygon (not the spray can). Its a powder in a small round flat can, they got it from thailand. it can use like pook-pook-pook to spray that powder to everywhere in the house. and after 2 days, no more bed bug liao. not sure whether they all died or migrated to someone else's shouse.. ha ha..

i never see that type of powder can in any shops in singapore before. maybe Golden Miles u might want to give a try. once you found out, pls update us the result and place.. just to keep that info in case my house kana in future. i heard if neighbour house have it, it can spread to us as well.

Renovator: Renovation Budget: