Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kids2

Hob & Hood

Hi,

Any view to share on this particular model of hob/hood.

Hob

Tecno - Mini3 or TZ703 TR

Elba - EH731

Hood

Tecno - K296

Elba - EBCH 101/90-HM

My Kitchen size is probably 5m by 3m. I do cook every

lunch and weekends, but not the deep fry stuff.

There will be a tempered glass door for my kitchen to

retain the smell & smoke.

What is the pro & cons for the Electric Auto Ignition or battery

operated ignition gas burner?

Appreciate if anyone has any other better model to share?

PS: Thanks to everyone who has enlightened my knowledge

of renovation.

Cheers,

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i'm all for battery operated coz

1. no need extension of wire to socket

2. no need to take up one socket

3. battery can last quite long

only thing is not many uses battery and even less has the battery on top, most are hidden below so leceh to change. mine is on top coz using turbo :D

i'm all for battery operated coz

1. no need extension of wire to socket

2. no need to take up one socket

3. battery can last quite long

only thing is not many uses battery and even less has the battery on top, most are hidden below so leceh to change. mine is on top coz using turbo :D

Points taken... applefreak. Thanks!

Electric ignition will cost you more, as you need an extra high voltage power point, you'll make the electrician happy.

ok pointed taken again. Look like Battery ignition is much better than.

Now, it will be more of the reliability of the Hob & Hood. I'm quite towards

Tecno (allow internal frame for boiling soup) but not sure if anyone has

any good recommendation for other brands.

Looking forward to hear your views.

Hi kids2,

I'm using Turbo for both my hob and hood, so far so good.

Turbo chimney hood C940L/90FLPSS

- extraction rate 900m3/hr

- two halogen lamps

- 3-speed fan

Turbo Built-in Gas Hob T8319RSSV (LPG type) with safety valve

- using one AA battery ignition

- 3-ring burner

What I learnt when shopping for hobs & hoods is that need to inform salesperson if you're using LPG or CityGas. As for the hood, you need to take note if there's a beam on the wall that you intend to install the hood, or else have to cut off the top partially but must be above the ventilation holes/slots.

Prior to getting a hob of your choice, u need to plan ahead on things such as:

- battery or electronic ignition? If using battery ignition, where is the battery holder located: on hob surface or under it, and what is the battery size to be used? If using electronic, consider abt the electrical wirings & trunkings that need to run from nearest power point to the hob.

- For electronic ignition hobs, what are your contingency plans in the event of power failure? And what is the wattage?

- how much counter space available in terms of width of hob chosen,

- gas, electric or induction burners? How many burners that you think u will need?

- whether you'll be choosing CityGas or LPG cyclinder,

- If using LPG, how willing are you not to have a suspended bottom cabinets? Do you have enough base cabinet space to put one or even two LPG cylinders?

- If using CityGas, how willing are you that the layout of the gas pipes are to be determined by the relevant authorities?

- stainless steel or glass surface hobs? What is your cleaning/maintenance style like? Can glass surface hobs take the gross weight of heavy pots & pans?

- types of trivets such as whether seamless or separate, cast iron or enamel-coated ones?,

- which is more comfortable for you: knobs at the side or in front side of the hob?

- can the burner caps be easily removed for cleaning?

- are the burner bases fully sealed contain spillage & to protect hob's interior?

- does the gas safety valve fulfill your kitchen safety requirements?

- what is your level of expectation in terms of cleaning/maintenance of hobs & hoods?

- would you like to have a hob as a one single piece or several separate pieces?

So, the choices are yours to make that suit your own needs & lifestyle. And I'm sure once u know what u want, looking for a hob is much easier :sport-smiley-004:

Cheers!

Edited by gendon

Inner flame, there are a few brands using. But if anyone happens to find 1 with safety valve, please let me know. Currently, I'm using Fuijoh, but the sad thing, it is without the safety valve. The model which I wanted originally has this feature.

Hi kids2,

I'm using Turbo for both my hob and hood.

Turbo chimney hood C940L/90FLPSS

- extraction rate 900m3/hr

- two halogen lamps

- 3-speed fan

Turbo Built-in Gas Hob T8319RSSV (LPG type)

- using one AA battery ignition

- 3-ring burner

What I learnt when shopping for hobs & hoods is that need to inform salesperson if you're using LPG or CityGas. As for the hood, you need to take note if there's a beam on the wall that you intend to install the hood, or else have to cut off the top partially but must be above the ventilation holes/slots.

- battery or electronic ignition? If using battery ignition, where is the battery holder located: on hob surface or under it, and what is the battery size to be used? If using electronic, consider abt the electrical wirings & trunkings that need to run from nearest power point to the hob.

==>> BATTERY IGNITION

- For electronic ignition hobs, what are your contingency plans in the event of power failure? And what is the wattage?

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

==>> NOT MUCH, LOOKING TO HAVE FRIDGE, SINK & STOVE. NOT SURE IF IT'S FEASIBLE, WILL

CONFIRM WITH MY ID AGAIN.

- gas, electric or induction burners? How many burners that you think u will need?

==>> HOPEFULLY 3, ONE ON EACH SIDE AND THEN ONE ON THE CENTRE.

==>> CITYGAS

- If using LPG, how willing are you not to have a suspended bottom cabinets? Do you have enough base cabinet space to put one or even two LPG cylinders?

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

- If using CityGas, how willing are you that the layout of the gas pipes are to be determined by the relevant authorities?

==>> NOT MUCH CONCERN ABT THAT

- stainless steel or glass surface hobs? What is your cleaning/maintenance style like? Can glass surface hobs take the gross weight of heavy pots & pans?

==>> STAINLESS STEEL. HAVE A MAID AT HOME TO DO THE CLEANING AFTER EVERY MEAL. BUT WOULD ==>>LIKE TO HAVE SOMETHING EASY TO MAINTAIN IN ANY EVENT, I NEED TO RENT OUT THE APARTMENT.

==>>(CAN'T EXPECT EVERYONE TO BE A CLEAN FREAK LIKE ME).

- types of trivets such as whether seamless or separate, cast iron or enamel-coated ones?,

==>> CAN U EXPLAIN MORE ON THIS POINT PLS?

- which is more comfortable for you: knobs at the side or in front side of the hob?

==>> NO PREFERNCE

==>> YES

- are the burner bases fully sealed contain spillage & to protect hob's interior?

==>> BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE, IS IT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT? I ONLY FOUND OUT

==>> ABT THIS POINT RECENTLY.

==>> HOW DO YOU TELL?

- what is your level of expectation in terms of cleaning/maintenance of hobs & hoods?

==>> EASY

- would you like to have a hob as a one single piece or several separate pieces?

==>> ONE SINGLE PIECE

So, the choices are yours to make that suit your own needs & lifestyle. And I'm sure once u know what u want, looking for a hob is much easier :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Hi Gendon,

Thanks for the very detailed hob/hood information.

It has definitely been very helpful.

PLEASE SEE MY COMMENTS.

:sport-smiley-004:

Inner flame, there are a few brands using. But if anyone happens to find 1 with safety valve, please let me know. Currently, I'm using Fuijoh, but the sad thing, it is without the safety valve. The model which I wanted originally has this feature.

Hi raincole :sport-smiley-004:

When I bought my Turbo hob, I paid extra for the safety valve bcos I feel there is a need to, when my kitchen can get very windy from the service balcony. It's a useful feature when the wind can blow out the flame w/o u realising it, and also for forgetful people (like me when I was pregnant several years ago, I totally forgot abt the pasta sauce that I cooked. Startled from my nap bcos I finally smell something burning!)

Oh ya, btw for my hob, 2 out of the 3 burnings are double-ringed (which means got two flame rings per burner). The smallest burner is single-ringed. The biggest burner is on the right side, nearer to the side and the other two os on the left side of the hob, while the centre part is the landing space.

Edited by gendon

paiseh, what is inner flame? :sport-smiley-004:

hi gendon, very detailed explanation :)

sure kids2 will be able to find a hood/hob suitable :yamseng:

The inner flame referes to the smallest ring of flame in a double or triple-ring burner. :)

paiseh, what is inner flame? :sport-smiley-004:

hi gendon, very detailed explanation :)

sure kids2 will be able to find a hood/hob suitable :yamseng:

Inner flame.... if u see most hob, the burner is located on top of the glass/steel. For the inner burner/flame, the burner is act. located below the glass surface, so that the flame will be more concentrate at a spot, less likely to be blown out by wind cos "protected", and therefore faster cooking time.

Hi raincole :D

When I bought my Turbo hob, I paid extra for the safety valve bcos I feel there is a need to, when my kitchen can get very windy from the service balcony. It's a useful feature when the wind can blow out the flame w/o u realising it, and also for forgetful people (like me when I was pregnant several years ago, I totally forgot abt the pasta sauce that I cooked. Startled from my nap bcos I finally smell something burning!)

Oh ya, btw for my hob, 2 out of the 3 burnings are double-ringed (which means got two flame rings per burner). The smallest burner is single-ringed. The biggest burner is on the right side, nearer to the side and the other two os on the left side of the hob, while the centre part is the landing space.

I know but the feature is not available with this model. I also wanted safety valve cos I'm also forgetful and I also want to do other stuffs, while cooking to better manage my time with all my tasks. :)

Edited by raincole

Hi Gendon,

Thanks for the very detailed hob/hood information.

It has definitely been very helpful.

PLEASE SEE MY COMMENTS.

:sport-smiley-004:

Hi kids2, the blue text is my explanation as follows:

==>> BATTERY IGNITION

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

==>> NOT MUCH, LOOKING TO HAVE FRIDGE, SINK & STOVE. NOT SURE IF IT'S FEASIBLE, WILL

Yup, better confirm with your ID bcos he/she need the final measurements from u, of the 3 main appliances as above (width x depth x height plus side and back allowance for fridge), prior to finalised carpentry measurements. U also need to know your basic Work Triangle (total distance from stove, sink and fridge when in the kitchen) in your kitchen layout and discuss with your ID in great detail about your cooking habits, storage requirements, where u like to eat and the correct layout.

I assume the one in the centre is the one nearer to the kitchen wall? Depending on your cooking habits, the size of your pots and pans matters too. If you got too big a pot/pan placed in the centre hob, make sure that the pot’s edge doesn’t touch or too near to the wall.

==>> CITYGAS

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

==>> STAINLESS STEEL. HAVE A MAID AT HOME TO DO THE CLEANING AFTER EVERY MEAL. BUT WOULD ==>>LIKE TO HAVE SOMETHING EASY TO MAINTAIN IN ANY EVENT, I NEED TO RENT OUT THE APARTMENT.

Hee hee! Lucky you!

The trivets are the metal parts that your pots/pans sit on when you cook. Seamless is when throughout the hob, the trivet is one piece (usually very heavy depending on what type of metal). You can usually see seamless trivets like SMEG freestanding range cooktops or those restaurant type of cast-iron seamless trivets where the chefs just slide the pots/pan from one burner to another. Separate is when one or two burners share one trivet piece. Cast iron trivets tend to be heavy, more durable and thicker while enamel-coated ones are the types that we commonly see in local kitchens, easier to lift, clean and scrape off burnt food stuck on it.

==>> NO PREFERNCE

==>> YES

When browsing/buying hobs, u need to ask the salesperson to demonstrate to you how it is removed and put back, and ask questions abt cleaning and maintenance.

When u lift the burner cap, you should see that the circle cut is slightly raised in such a way that should spillage occur, it will just flow back to the flat surface of the hob and not into the circle cut. If not, under the hob sure got major cleaning to do and for fire safety reasons too.

==>> HOW DO YOU TELL?

U need to check if your kitchen tends to be windy, or if it’s near the windows. One useful feature of the safety valve (or also known as flame failure device), is that if the flame is accidentally extinguished, e.g. by a draught or wind, then the gas supply automatically cuts off.

==>> EASY

==>> ONE SINGLE PIECE

FYI:

Hoods (also known as extractor fans) in S’pore domestic kitchens are usually recirculating type, where majority live in a block of flats without an accessible external wall. Stale air is drawn in and purified using grease and charcoal filters, before re-entering the kitchen.

Position the hood carefully above your hob bcos if:

- too close, the steam may escape around the sides

- too far away, the steam may disperse before it reaches it.

For gas hobs, the minimum distance is around 65cm (from hob to hood bottom), whereas for electric hobs, reduce the minimum distance to 50-55cm.

To choose a hood, work out the volume of the kitchen to be ventilated by multiplying length x width x height, for a suitable hood extraction rate (cubic metre per hour). A gd ventilation system will change the air in the room/area 10 times per hour, so multiply this figure by 10, to give the minimum extraction rate required for your kitchen. And don’t forget to ask abt noise levels and try to aim around 55-60 decibels as a benchmark.

Abt power points in the kitchen: always ensure that the power point is not within the width of the stove or the sink, it should outside the width of these two items for safety reasons. Steam/grease from cooking at the stove, as well as water splashes from washing at the sink, can cause dirt/grease build-up inside the powerpoints, may cause power short-circuit and unwanted fires to happen.

The distance between each work zone (stove, fridge, sink zones) should be at least 90cm. Too far, you waste energy moving from one end to the other. Too close, working in the kitchen becomes uncomfortable and cramped. The most important work space in the kitchen actually lies between the sink and the stove, bcos that's where the most activity takes place usually.

Hope that helps! :yamseng:

Edited by gendon

Hi kids2, the blue text is my explanation as follows:

==>> BATTERY IGNITION

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

Yup, better confirm with your ID bcos he/she need the final measurements from u, of the 3 main appliances as above (width x depth x height plus side and back allowance for fridge), prior to finalised carpentry measurements. U also need to know your basic Work Triangle (total distance from stove, sink and fridge when in the kitchen) in your kitchen layout and discuss with your ID in great detail about your cooking habits, storage requirements, where u like to eat and the correct layout.

I assume the one in the centre is the one nearer to the kitchen wall? Depending on your cooking habits, the size of your pots and pans matters too. If you got too big a pot/pan placed in the centre hob, make sure that the pot’s edge doesn’t touch or too near to the wall.

==>> CITYGAS

==>> NOT APPLICABLE

Hee hee! Lucky you!

The trivets are the metal parts that your pots/pans sit on when you cook. Seamless is when throughout the hob, the trivet is one piece (usually very heavy depending on what type of metal). You can usually see seamless trivets like SMEG freestanding range cooktops or those restaurant type of cast-iron seamless trivets where the chefs just slide the pots/pan from one burner to another. Separate is when one or two burners share one trivet piece. Cast iron trivets tend to be heavy, more durable and thicker while enamel-coated ones are the types that we commonly see in local kitchens, easier to lift, clean and scrape off burnt food stuck on it.

==>> NO PREFERNCE

==>> YES

When browsing/buying hobs, u need to ask the salesperson to demonstrate to you how it is removed and put back, and ask questions abt cleaning and maintenance.

When u lift the burner cap, you should see that the circle cut is slightly raised in such a way that should spillage occur, it will just flow back to the flat surface of the hob and not into the circle cut. If not, under the hob sure got major cleaning to do and for fire safety reasons too.

==>> HOW DO YOU TELL?

U need to check if your kitchen tends to be windy, or if it’s near the windows. One useful feature of the safety valve (or also known as flame failure device), is that if the flame is accidentally extinguished, e.g. by a draught or wind, then the gas supply automatically cuts off.

==>> EASY

==>> ONE SINGLE PIECE

FYI:

Hoods (also known as extractor fans) in S’pore domestic kitchens are usually recirculating type, where majority live in a block of flats without an accessible external wall. Stale air is drawn in and purified using grease and charcoal filters, before re-entering the kitchen.

Position the hood carefully above your hob bcos if:

- too close, the steam may escape around the sides

- too far away, the steam may disperse before it reaches it.

For gas hobs, the minimum distance is around 65cm (from hob to hood bottom), whereas for electric hobs, reduce the minimum distance to 50-55cm.

To choose a hood, work out the volume of the kitchen to be ventilated by multiplying length x width x height, for a suitable hood extraction rate (cubic metre per hour). A gd ventilation system will change the air in the room/area 10 times per hour, so multiply this figure by 10, to give the minimum extraction rate required for your kitchen. And don’t forget to ask abt noise levels and try to aim around 55-60 decibels as a benchmark.

Abt power points in the kitchen: always ensure that the power point is not within the width of the stove or the sink, it should outside the width of these two items for safety reasons. Steam/grease from cooking at the stove, as well as water splashes from washing at the sink, can cause dirt/grease build-up inside the powerpoints, may cause power short-circuit and unwanted fires to happen.

The distance between each work zone (stove, fridge, sink zones) should be at least 90cm. Too far, you waste energy moving from one end to the other. Too close, working in the kitchen becomes uncomfortable and cramped. The most important work space in the kitchen actually lies between the sink and the stove, bcos that's where the most activity takes place usually.

Hope that helps! :yamseng:

HI GENDON,

YOU ARE GOOD! :good:

MIND IF I ASK YOU WHAT IS YOUR OCCPUATION?

OR SHOULD I SAY THAT YOU DEFINITELY HAS DONE YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE

MAKING YOUR PURCHASE OF HOB/HOOD.

THANKS AGAIN.

Hi kids2

Hee hee, thanks ::paisey:: .....no lah.....I'm just a simple Stay-At-Home-Mom living with hubby & our 3yr old tot, am also a short-order cook who cooks simple meals like pastas and soups (sorry, I dunno how to cook rendang or other typical Malay dishes) :D

Glad to share with you the knowledge I gained thru' lots of research & reading, the reno process, with my ID, and grilling the poor salespeople of their product knowledge when shopping for home appliances, furnitures and whatnots. :good:

Btw, I used to work in billing & cs section in a green telco, worked in retail, sales in a telco where the founder is a UK tycoon, also as was CSO in a stat board where the main office is at robinson road. :yamseng:

And I ever kena 'suan' before, for being too meticulous & detail-oriented. Haiizzzz.....

Cheers!

Edited by gendon