Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
currahee

Casement Windows - Ss Rivets

there is the regulation that all home owners must change their rivets to SS ones to prevent rust and leading to the fall of the window down..

i've seen a resale flat and the owners have changed the rivets to SS screws... is it ok with this? or need to change to SS rivets? i know the cost of the rivets isquite a sum.. will the HDB inspection look into all this? thanks.

• Thanks 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
there is the regulation that all home owners must change their rivets to SS ones to prevent rust and leading to the fall of the window down..

i've seen a resale flat and the owners have changed the rivets to SS screws... is it ok with this? or need to change to SS rivets? i know the cost of the rivets isquite a sum.. will the HDB inspection look into all this? thanks.

it's actually BS - SS rivets are cheap. it's the labour charges that is expensive.

the aluminium frames are not meant for screws(cos there isnt any screw thread to hold, except for the arms).

which part of the window did you look at?

• Thanks 1

it's actually BS - SS rivets are cheap. it's the labour charges that is expensive.

the aluminium frames are not meant for screws(cos there isnt any screw thread to hold, except for the arms).

which part of the window did you look at?

the side of the window where 2 pieces will meet when closed..

somehow it is using screw..

btw it seems can DIY is it? where to buy the rivet and get the tool to rivet on since labour exp?

but will this fail the HDB inspection? thx

the side of the window where 2 pieces will meet when closed..

somehow it is using screw..

btw it seems can DIY is it? where to buy the rivet and get the tool to rivet on since labour exp?

but will this fail the HDB inspection? thx

then it's the hinge?

can DIY but you got to be very careful, if your windows fall to the ground you are in big trouble.

rivets cost around $6.00 a pack(100 pcs), some shops sells loose 50pcs.

a riveter costs around $6-$12.00

when buying, ask the shops' assistant to teach you how to use it.

I change all my rusty handles by myself by using rivet.

Ya.. my kitchen window also using screws.... after I took over my unit... I found that the screws were rusty... I called HDB and asked .... they said rivets need to be change.... but no regulation of changing the screws... then I questioned about the rusted screws handed over by my seller... HDB said that is the owner resposibility to ensure the window is secure... so I changed it lor..

You're missing the point of the regulation. It's not about passing inspections, it's about safety. What's the point of saying the regulation only applies to rivets, not screws, if your window falls and kills someone?

thanks for the replies..

btw where do they sell the SS rivets? any sizing to get?

prob need a drill to remove existing rivets if there is?

thanks for the replies..

btw where do they sell the SS rivets? any sizing to get?

prob need a drill to remove existing rivets if there is?

1) a hand drill - arm yourself with 4mm - 6mm, better still get a cobalt drill bit(they can drill thru anything).

2) rivets - i didnt measure them, i just buy a pack of short one(around 6mm) and a longer one(12-14mm).

check with the shop when buying.

3) Riveter - dont buy the cheapest one - your hands will be shaking for the whole day. :unsure:

This info is to help homeowners have an additional contact to call and ask for quotations. I was held up in a traffic jam, and a van on my left had his own van painted and advertising rivets retrofitting.

"Rivets Retrofitting" Call 9191 6259

I have no relationship with this fellow (in case some DUH person thinks I have) and I am purely putting this info here for forummers who are looking for someone to call.

Make sure you ask all the questions and get your prices before you ask for a site visit. If your home is newly renovated, these contractors just might want to try their luck and ask for ridiculous prices. You'd be real silly if you don't bargain.

• Thanks 1