Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MeToo

Toilet Floor Overlaying

Planning to overlay floor tiles only for my 2 toilets. Size 2.5 m x 1.65 m each.

My doubts

1. Many forumers are considering hacking and relaying is better than overlaying. My flat is 8 yrs old and I am not changing floor tiles anywhere else(quite ok condition), only for 2 toilets for hygiene reasons. In this case, is it better to overlay?

2. My Contractor (not ID) quoted 800$ for 2 toilets for this work ("Supply and lay-over floor tiles"). Is it cheap or costly or fair ? Dunno what type of tile and price..

3. How much more I need to spend if I go for hacking and relaying for this case ?

Sorry for many questions :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Planning to overlay floor tiles only for my 2 toilets. Size 2.5 m x 1.65 m each.

My doubts

1. Many forumers are considering hacking and relaying is better than overlaying. My flat is 8 yrs old and I am not changing floor tiles anywhere else(quite ok condition), only for 2 toilets for hygiene reasons. In this case, is it better to overlay?

2. My Contractor (not ID) quoted 800$ for 2 toilets for this work ("Supply and lay-over floor tiles"). Is it cheap or costly or fair ? Dunno what type of tile and price..

3. How much more I need to spend if I go for hacking and relaying for this case ?

Sorry for many questions :P

Hack and re-laying is normally better for wet areas. U may wanna consider these points as well

1. Floor to ceiling height requirement

2. Waterproofing membrane (u need to hack and screed this before laying over tiles) this is normally the reason why pple do hack and relay, cos waterproof membrane wears off. If it does, your downstairs neighbour will leak and if complain to hdb and found it's origin from yr toilet, u need to hack, waterproof and relay. Cost is 50/50 u and bottom neighbour, see mp get discount at HDB:50, u neighbour 25/25.

$800 for 2 toilet is too steep, ceramic floor tiles for 2 toilets are around $600

hacking for 2 toilets inclusive of floor is around $500

these are full reno bundled prices, it is normally around these range.

for toilets - either do hack+tile or dont touch it at all.

the savings is actually a RISK down the road - tiles pop up, water leakage...etc

Next time get 2 quote, one with hacking and one with overlaying. Then you can compare the pro/con on both option.

If toilet tile is ok condition, leave it. Just do a major washing.

If want to re-do toilet, another option that is a cheaper version is to spray paint over it, those expony paint.

Is it possible to DIY it?

If so, any guide on how to do it?

I'm thinking of doing it for the kitchen and 2 bathrooms... :)

It's a mini-project thing...plus the sense of satisfaction of DIYing

Thanx for all the responses.

1. Asked my contra to give one more quote - 4 relaying. Also told him the price 800$ is high.

2. Still toying with idea of juz keeping the floor tiles as it is. Since it's only 8 yrs old, I think I can do a full chemical wash and use as it is.

(Another question here. Surely I am changing the toilet bowls. does it affect the flooring, any way)

3. What's this expony painting raincole ? Have u done this? How it looks like after doing ? Any photos to share ?

;)

Thanx for all the responses.

1. Asked my contra to give one more quote - 4 relaying. Also told him the price 800$ is high.

2. Still toying with idea of juz keeping the floor tiles as it is. Since it's only 8 yrs old, I think I can do a full chemical wash and use as it is.

(Another question here. Surely I am changing the toilet bowls. does it affect the flooring, any way)

3. What's this expony painting raincole ? Have u done this? How it looks like after doing ? Any photos to share ?

!!

changing toilet bowls wont affect flooring, maybe just some plumbing works needed...

and i feel epoxy painting dont seem nice....

changing toilet bowls wont affect flooring, maybe just some plumbing works needed...

and i feel epoxy painting dont seem nice....

Thanx guys/gals for the feedback.

Decided not to change the bath room floor tiles now. :dancingqueen: Jus goin to give a thorough chemical wash.

Safra toa payoh toilets are done. You can go take a look.

The toilets are located near the swimming pools.

Haven't visited Safra toilets yet. So cannot comment on that.

Or go website, type in epoxy paint. Something like spray paint over the tiles. A few company are also using it cos less cost and able to revamp the look.

the savings is actually a RISK down the road - tiles pop up, water leakage...etc

Overlaying is approved method by BCA. Popping tiles and water leakage is dependent on workmanship. A proper way is to assess the existing flooring if there is anything water leakage problem first. If No, then the tiler will apply another layer of waterproofing on existing tiles again before laying. This will ensure all tile joint are water proofed and act as secondary protection. Cement material must be right too. Use tile-on-tile adhesive to do the work but price is much more than normal cement

Edited by bullet

Recently, saw news report on HDB water leakage due to the flat above was doing hacking work in toilet... For such cases, who shld bear the repair cost? Contractors or owner?

FH's flat had a leaking toilet when he did hacking works. He had to bear half while downstairs also bear half.

But i also have another friend whose room ceiling started to show the water marks due to upstairs hacking. but heard from him that the neighbours upstairs refuse to bear the costs. then he LL have to bear with it.

so i also dunno which is rite. maybe can check with your town council and get someone to come down and review the situation

FH's flat had a leaking toilet when he did hacking works. He had to bear half while downstairs also bear half.

But i also have another friend whose room ceiling started to show the water marks due to upstairs hacking. but heard from him that the neighbours upstairs refuse to bear the costs. then he LL have to bear with it.

so i also dunno which is rite. maybe can check with your town council and get someone to come down and review the situation

If your friend's neighbour refuse to bear the cost, ask him to report to his HDB branch directly. Dun need to argue with the neighbour. The HDB officer will come and inspect and demand them to do it. Then each got to pay their own cost. I think you friend cost will be much lower as he only need to make good the ceiling and paint that's all

QUOTE(MaCe @ Aug 30 2007, 09:25 AM) *

If its a ground floor unit ..do you see any problems in overlaying... esp if I take care to make sure the existing floors and waterproofing are OK first. Its a 14 yr old flat.

Edited by Lakmy