Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adam

Rooftop Terrace

Hi, I've just bought a penthouse unit at a new low-rise condo with a rooftop terrace. Would like to know if I could build a shelter on the terrace? Do i need to get any permit to do that?

Also, appreciate if anyone could recomend a good ID that has experiences in such areas. I would like the terrace to have a resort look !!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If CSC not issued, not allowed. If after CSC issued, is subject to approval from developer or MC, AND BCA+ URA, depending on whether got impact on GFA of the development.

Layman wise, is very lechey to do the proper submissions. But many ppl do it without submissions ( and hope dun get caught/complaint).

I have heard of many cases.. ID tell owner small thing.. dun waste with submissions.. then later owner kena BCA summon. Note that it is not the ID who go to court.

if its a brand new unit from developer i would advise not to do anything cos it will void the 1 yr defects warranty. if they permit to built anyting on the terrace, after that if u discover any defects (ie. leaking) they will not repair for u.

Thanks for the advices.

So for the moment, think will just do gardening at the terrace and maybe get one of those outdoor table with umbrella. :)

If anyone know of ID with experiences in doing up terrace, like landscaping, do PM too.

If CSC not issued, not allowed. If after CSC issued, is subject to approval from developer or MC, AND BCA+ URA, depending on whether got impact on GFA of the development.

Layman wise, is very lechey to do the proper submissions. But many ppl do it without submissions ( and hope dun get caught/complaint).

I have heard of many cases.. ID tell owner small thing.. dun waste with submissions.. then later owner kena BCA summon. Note that it is not the ID who go to court.

It is actually allowed if the proper procedures are followed. BCA, URA are not involved unless there is a change to the building structure.

For simple shelters like a polycarbonate trellis you just need to apply through your management who will advise you on it. In my case, require certification from the architect before it can be errected. Fee ranged from $500 to $700.

Also, BCA is not so free as to to check all these unless there is a complaint or something. Many people around my estate have done these shelters and basically didn't get the necessary approvals. BCA hasn't checked for the last 17 years... I even have a neighbour who clearly illegally boxed up all his balconies...

Edited by l_club23

It is actually allowed if the proper procedures are followed. BCA, URA are not involved unless there is a change to the building structure.

For simple shelters like a polycarbonate trellis you just need to apply through your management who will advise you on it. In my case, require certification from the architect before it can be errected. Fee ranged from $500 to $700.

Also, BCA is not so free as to to check all these unless there is a complaint or something. Many people around my estate have done these shelters and basically didn't get the necessary approvals. BCA hasn't checked for the last 17 years... I even have a neighbour who clearly illegally boxed up all his balconies...

Noted! You have pictures to share on how you have done up your terrace? Looking for ideas now :dunno:

Noted! You have pictures to share on how you have done up your terrace? Looking for ideas now :dunno:

I'm still doing mine, its just that I checked out all the procedures and everything before I start on anything.

I'm still doing mine, its just that I checked out all the procedures and everything before I start on anything.

Ok, will check with the condo management when I get my keys.

BTW, how much you pay for your trellis? Do you get any landscaping company to do up your place or you DIY?

Anyone here has engage Gardenasia (www.gardenasia.com) before?

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

See page 7 last para.

As long as roof covering material is permanent and cast a shadow, is considered GFA. Some MC ppl also not expert in this issue, anyhow approve. then when later someone submit for official A&A, the QP submit as built and show so many additions, GFA sure burst the limit.

Most important.. wanna do it simple.. do but dun get caught. If caught.. be smart enough to answer without digging up more skeletons in the closet.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

See page 7 last para.

As long as roof covering material is permanent and cast a shadow, is considered GFA. Some MC ppl also not expert in this issue, anyhow approve. then when later someone submit for official A&A, the QP submit as built and show so many additions, GFA sure burst the limit.

Most important.. wanna do it simple.. do but dun get caught. If caught.. be smart enough to answer without digging up more skeletons in the closet.

Keyword here is the roof covering material being "permanent".

If I recall my previous projects correctly, the formal process of constructing a roof terrace is as follows.

1. MCST Approval

Approval must be sought from MCST to construct as the roof top terrace may impact the external facade or building outlook.

2. URA (http://www.ura.gov.sg/homeowner/stratatitled-buyproperty.htm#4)

As the strata title locks in the GFA of your unit, any roof terrace should not incur an increase in GFA.

There are several ways of avoiding the increase in GFA.

a. install a open to sky roof trellis with a retractable awning over it.

b. Construct a roof terrace butting against a wall to a maximum of 2m overhang.

c. Construct a 4mx4m covered pavillion on the basis that 2m overhang from edge of roof to wall for roof terraces are exempt from GFA. Therefore a 4mx4m covered pavillion is similar.

d. cbuy an umbrella.

Of course, items (a), (b) or © will require URA submission by the Architect and is subject to approval from the Planner on a case by case basis.

Alternative if the Condo development has GFA to spare, (highly unlikely), you can apply to purchase it from MCST and revise your strata title.

3. BCA

A roof terrace is defined by BCA as "Building works carried out for or in connection with any single storey trellis, pergola, shelter, gazebo and the like." Thus no submission is required.

Hope this helps you out.

If I recall my previous projects correctly, the formal process of constructing a roof terrace is as follows.

1. MCST Approval

Approval must be sought from MCST to construct as the roof top terrace may impact the external facade or building outlook.

2. URA (http://www.ura.gov.sg/homeowner/stratatitled-buyproperty.htm#4)

As the strata title locks in the GFA of your unit, any roof terrace should not incur an increase in GFA.

There are several ways of avoiding the increase in GFA.

a. install a open to sky roof trellis with a retractable awning over it.

b. Construct a roof terrace butting against a wall to a maximum of 2m overhang.

c. Construct a 4mx4m covered pavillion on the basis that 2m overhang from edge of roof to wall for roof terraces are exempt from GFA. Therefore a 4mx4m covered pavillion is similar.

d. cbuy an umbrella.

Of course, items (a), (b) or © will require URA submission by the Architect and is subject to approval from the Planner on a case by case basis.

Alternative if the Condo development has GFA to spare, (highly unlikely), you can apply to purchase it from MCST and revise your strata title.

3. BCA

A roof terrace is defined by BCA as "Building works carried out for or in connection with any single storey trellis, pergola, shelter, gazebo and the like." Thus no submission is required.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for that. However, could you please elaborate on "c. Construct a 4mx4m covered pavillion on the basis that 2m overhang from edge of roof to wall for roof terraces are exempt from GFA. Therefore a 4mx4m covered pavillion is similar."?

I'm not sure what you mean, and how this can get around the GFA rules on covered area. Thank you.

Hoping to revive an old topic since I'll find myself in the same situation soon ie bot a place with a decent sized roof terrace and hoping to make the best out of it....

Has anyone already used a contractor to build a roof trellis? Any recommendations?