Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adam

Rooftop Terrace

Hoping to revive an old topic since I'll find myself in the same situation soon ie bot a place with a decent sized roof terrace and hoping to make the best out of it....

Has anyone already used a contractor to build a roof trellis? Any recommendations?

hi i'm raymond from decorial, i have some other recommendations for your roof terrace that i would like to share with you. are you only looking into roof trellis?

Edited by decoray

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi all,

I recently installed a openable roofing sytsem to extand the existing metal roof trellis I have on my roof terrace.

I got management approval from my condo but I did not submit any apporoval to BCA or URA as I was unaware that I need approval (stupid me)

How likely is it that I would get caught? Do URA/BCA carry put spot check on property? Or is it usually done following a complaint??

Any advise/opinions very welcome!

If I recall my previous projects correctly, the formal process of constructing a roof terrace is as follows.

1. MCST Approval

Approval must be sought from MCST to construct as the roof top terrace may impact the external facade or building outlook.

2. URA (http://www.ura.gov.sg/homeowner/stratatitled-buyproperty.htm#4)

As the strata title locks in the GFA of your unit, any roof terrace should not incur an increase in GFA.

There are several ways of avoiding the increase in GFA.

a. install a open to sky roof trellis with a retractable awning over it.

b. Construct a roof terrace butting against a wall to a maximum of 2m overhang.

c. Construct a 4mx4m covered pavillion on the basis that 2m overhang from edge of roof to wall for roof terraces are exempt from GFA. Therefore a 4mx4m covered pavillion is similar.

d. cbuy an umbrella.

Of course, items (a), (b) or © will require URA submission by the Architect and is subject to approval from the Planner on a case by case basis.

Alternative if the Condo development has GFA to spare, (highly unlikely), you can apply to purchase it from MCST and revise your strata title.

3. BCA

A roof terrace is defined by BCA as "Building works carried out for or in connection with any single storey trellis, pergola, shelter, gazebo and the like." Thus no submission is required.

Hope this helps you out.

I should also explain that the additional covering does not extrude from my roof terrace or cover any communal area. It is all contained within my rooftop. My neighbours are also aggreable with what I have done. Indeed one of my neighbours has the same extension done.

Hi all,

I recently installed a openable roofing sytsem to extand the existing metal roof trellis I have on my roof terrace.

I got management approval from my condo but I did not submit any apporoval to BCA or URA as I was unaware that I need approval (stupid me)

How likely is it that I would get caught? Do URA/BCA carry put spot check on property? Or is it usually done following a complaint??

Any advise/opinions very welcome!

It suddenly occurs to me that I need not go through BCA approval as my GFA only includes my roof terrace. Most probably I would need management approval as it may be a common agreement that nobody is to built a fix roof at the roof terrace! And since my neighbour already partitioned out the whole of his roof terrace into air-conditioned space...there shouldn't be a problem..

I should also explain that the additional covering does not extrude from my roof terrace or cover any communal area. It is all contained within my rooftop. My neighbours are also aggreable with what I have done. Indeed one of my neighbours has the same extension done.

Hi,

On the topic of roof terraces, is there any chance that the MCST will reject an application to build trellis/shelter on a roof terrace? I intend to buy a penthouse unit and built trellis / shelter on the roof terrace. If there might be a problem doing that, i might have to reconsider a penthouse. Thanx

Hi, has anyone done roof terrace reno for penthouse unit at Southaven 2? Or do you have any ID or architect to recommend? Please, thank you.

Hi samsamwch,

I have one contact that able to do the roof terrace reno, this is the picture after reno;

ymca.th.jpg

If you think u like the concept, just pm me, btw the material is strand woven bamboo, it is stronger, more durable and healthier than hardwood..

Cheers,

Hi samsamwch,

I have one contact that able to do the roof terrace reno, this is the picture after reno;

ymca.th.jpg

If you think u like the concept, just pm me, btw the material is strand woven bamboo, it is stronger, more durable and healthier than hardwood..

Cheers,

I am using Chengai wood. ALthough, it looks good now, overtime there will be some cracks (either hairline or bigger cracks), especially when the trees are not mature enough before they are being chopped. If you use bamboo, it is stronger and more durale. Not sure of the reason, I find that suppliers usually use inferior quality varnishing on the bamboo deck. Hence the setback is the de-colouring of the bamboo decking after about 2 years. You can always re-varnish it using higher quality varnish.

Hi Guys,

It is natural for all material under exposure of humidity and sun will discoloration. Even Plastic will get stain (because of mould). In this case (roof terrace deck), strand woven bamboo is not using varnish but natural oil. So when discoloration happens, the owner only need to put oil but do not have to do re-sand like any other wood material. So maintenance is easy.

greenfielddrive.th.jpg

SOme of the bamboo deck also able to withstand close to the wet area like the above picture

Cheers,

I am using Chengai wood. ALthough, it looks good now, overtime there will be some cracks (either hairline or bigger cracks), especially when the trees are not mature enough before they are being chopped. If you use bamboo, it is stronger and more durale. Not sure of the reason, I find that suppliers usually use inferior quality varnishing on the bamboo deck. Hence the setback is the de-colouring of the bamboo decking after about 2 years. You can always re-varnish it using higher quality varnish.

So for roof terrace use where it's constantly being abused by the sun and rain, it's advisable to use this bamboo material? Is it more expensive than chengai wood? And, can it be used to make my autogate as well...? Would it be lighter (thus, less of a strain on the motor)? Hope somebody with experience installing both kinds of wood can comment and give advice pls.. thanks!

BTW leechaorui, are you Lee Chau Hwei the RE lawyer? :) If you are, i know you in person...haha. I just remember this person's eyes shining when talking about property... and from all your posts you really know a lot about property! :P

So for roof terrace use where it's constantly being abused by the sun and rain, it's advisable to use this bamboo material? Is it more expensive than chengai wood? And, can it be used to make my autogate as well...? Would it be lighter (thus, less of a strain on the motor)? Hope somebody with experience installing both kinds of wood can comment and give advice pls.. thanks!

BTW leechaorui, are you Lee Chau Hwei the RE lawyer? :) If you are, i know you in person...haha. I just remember this person's eyes shining when talking about property... and from all your posts you really know a lot about property! :P

Hi X6GT, thanks for the compliments. I am not Lee Chau Hwei. If you want something natural, try bamboo or chengai. No worries about using chengai wood as the motor installed is strong enough to take the weight. Cheers!

Hi X6GT, thanks for the compliments. I am not Lee Chau Hwei. If you want something natural, try bamboo or chengai. No worries about using chengai wood as the motor installed is strong enough to take the weight. Cheers!

Oh haha paiseh.Thanks thanks... I did the gate already - went to a direct factory contractor guy. In the end I left my dad to settle it. It's really cheap, so the downside is the service is a bit slow (when call, when doing it etc.)... but so far worth the money aesthetically. Nice looking la.

They initially promised can be ready in 1 or 2 days. They were supposed to come on a Sat to make, but they postponed to Mon. Then when my dad took leave already on Mon, they didn't come citing very busy all... Tues they finally came at 11+ then after less than 1hr they went for lunch and after lunch it rained so they didn't continue. Next day also same thing...come so late... don't want to do the work early while the sun still shining, haizz. And my parents were flying off for 1 month on Sat so it was actually urgent and we were all so busy cannot attend to them all the time! In the end they completed everything by Friday sui sui.

So far so good, the mechanism is ok still after 3weeks haha. But the metal parts of the gate (the frame) was spray-painted on the spot--so it looks nice n matte but I don't think it will be very lasting. When we were painting the walls that day, there was some spatter on the black part so we tried to clean off gently using thinner but the black pray paint came off. Is that common to use spray paint for such things?

Hi guys,

Just a question, may I know is it possible to add a outdoor shower on the roof balcony? Am staying in a cluster housing ...and there are some space I can ulitized...any body has done that? Any good recommendation for an ID?

Thank