Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whiteice78

Sofas.....in Pvc?

Dear all,

We have jus started seaching for a sofa for our new place. As we did not want to risk any allergies caused by dust, we decided on a leather L shaped. However, seems there are many designs out there that we like but available only in "Techno Leather", "Re-bonded leather" etc all which means PVC put simply. Though I must say some did such a good job I was fooled. Anyone using this sofas? Are they really very warm as claimed by many?

Thanks in advance

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Dear all,

We have jus started seaching for a sofa for our new place. As we did not want to risk any allergies caused by dust, we decided on a leather L shaped. However, seems there are many designs out there that we like but available only in "Techno Leather", "Re-bonded leather" etc all which means PVC put simply. Though I must say some did such a good job I was fooled. Anyone using this sofas? Are they really very warm as claimed by many?

Thanks in advance

Unless your rooms are air-con, else very warm and your thighs will sweat.

The permeability of PVC (or plastic) is almost zero, eg if you put water on it, it will not seep thru.

This is not good for close contact with our skin, as all of us sweat, especially in this hot weather. If you have a PVC sofa you will find your backside wet-wet very quickly, worse if you are blessed horizontally like me.

Those people I know who have PVC sofa end up not spending much time on it, for decoration purposes only.

My advice to either raise the budget for a good leather sofa, or just make do with fabric ones. Actually nowadays I find alot of fabrics to be very nice and comfy also, depends on quality.

hi guys, how abt PU leather? same attributes as PVC or slightly better?

Sama sama lah i think. nowadays so many diff synthetic materials. PVC, PU leather, rebonded leather, Techno leather. All fancy names come out. Think will stick to genuine leather then.

Anyone got their sofas from navinci? Their pxes are reasonable and the build seems q gd leh. St Louis has gd half leather ones too.

Dear all,

Thanks in advance

Hi whiteice78

personally, i dun find pvc kind of sofas extremely warm actually... or rather, my view is that both pvc and fabric type are jus as warm... in fact, wen i visited a custom-made sofa shop, the lady oso felt that both pvc and fabric type are the same (note that its not a sales tactic to make me get pvc sofas.. coz in actual fact, some fabric will cost me more)

if u hv kids/pets, fabric may be a better choice compared to pvc/leather coz pvc/leather may get scratched.. whether its pvc or leather, u nid to minimally take care of it by applying those oil/cream so tat it lasts longer.. even if u pay for top grade leather, if constantly in direct contact with the sunlight, it will oso crack if you dun take care of it...

just my two cents worth :bangwall:

hi,

my current sofa is leather. and its vy hot when you dun on the air-con. no matter whether its leather, synthetic leather or pvc, its vy hot unless you on air-con all the time.

like wat zirhk3355 says, "as all of us sweat, especially in this hot weather. If you have a PVC sofa you will find your backside wet-wet very quickly"

and my solution to my sofa is to put a smooth thin cool feel throw on the sofa to sit on.

nowadays fabric sofa is better and remmebr to spend abit more to buy a quality one. for my new hm, my hb had bought another fabric sofa coz my living rm able to put 2 sets of sofa and still got spare space. :D

get some hybrid lor..

seat area using real leather, and other area use PVC..

personally..I think Real leather looks natural and feels better..

PVC...colour fade super fast if under sunlight, and fake smell, and dun feel good....

only thing good is, the price... :dribble:

Yup, after going through all the materials, find that genuine leather is the best for me. Most likely getting a full leather from Navinzi as they seem to have the best workmanship backed with a 5 year warranty.

get some hybrid lor..

seat area using real leather, and other area use PVC..

personally..I think Real leather looks natural and feels better..

PVC...colour fade super fast if under sunlight, and fake smell, and dun feel good....

only thing good is, the price... :unsure:

Hybrids are even worse ..

In time, the color will differ and you can tell which is the leather and which is the PVC..

The PCV will start tearing at the seams also..

I would still stick to full leather sofas, else get fabric.

But not half leather, PU leather and some other man made leather.

hi,

my current sofa is leather. and its vy hot when you dun on the air-con. no matter whether its leather, synthetic leather or pvc, its vy hot unless you on air-con all the time.

like wat zirhk3355 says, "as all of us sweat, especially in this hot weather. If you have a PVC sofa you will find your backside wet-wet very quickly"

and my solution to my sofa is to put a smooth thin cool feel throw on the sofa to sit on.

nowadays fabric sofa is better and remmebr to spend abit more to buy a quality one. for my new hm, my hb had bought another fabric sofa coz my living rm able to put 2 sets of sofa and still got spare space. !!

I do agree. In spore whether it is real or synthic leather,they feel warm and wet. And when it is hot we dont utilise it often and yet need to leather oil it. Come to think of it better fabric.

hi,

i have visited navinci at ubi technopark, workmanship seems good with 5 year warranty, a 2.6m L shaped sofa is around $2.2k. Hubby and I are comtemplating whether to get that or to get Barang Barang 2m Leather 3 seater at $1600 (after 35% discount)

any comments?