Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mint

Glass Door - Slanted!

MY Id just install a glass door at my kitchen passage way, but guess what!

But the glass pane doesnt seem to be straight! My ID says its my door passage way that is not straight, thats why like this.

Cant they accomodate the glass to be the same as my door? Can this be done?

Imagine the spacing between the glass door and the wall increases fom 1cm to 5cm!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
MY Id just install a glass door at my kitchen passage way, but guess what!

But the glass pane doesnt seem to be straight! My ID says its my door passage way that is not straight, thats why like this.

Cant they accomodate the glass to be the same as my door? Can this be done?

Imagine the spacing between the glass door and the wall increases fom 1cm to 5cm!

cant.

they should have make sure that the passage way are properly aligned (90 degrees) before mounting the glass door. no hdb unit's door(door frame, passage, entrance) is straight, it's common knowledge to contractors.

My ID company got advertise in here reno forum. Duno they reading a not..

I see the measurement is top width -846 mm, bottom width is 841mm, height is 2100mm.

Will try to post pic.. tell me if acceptable or I shld ask the ID to change the whole glass door again.

My ID company got advertise in here reno forum. Duno they reading a not..

I see the measurement is top width -846 mm, bottom width is 841mm, height is 2100mm.

Will try to post pic.. tell me if acceptable or I shld ask the ID to change the whole glass door again.

whether glass door or wooden door, the chances that the door is out of alignment is close to zero.

it's always either the door frame or passage/wall that is slanted.

Picture423.jpg

Picture422.jpg

seee the gap soo big.. the top part is like 1cm gap, and the bottom is like 5cm gap. they say my wall is slanted, so no choice. the glass door measuremnet is straight cut.

im thinking can they slant the glass door to fit my slanted wall frame? sigh.. how? is it no choice but accept it? v obvious.. anyone walk pass can see the gap

Edited by mint

Picture423.jpg

Picture422.jpg

seee the gap soo big.. the top part is like 1cm gap, and the bottom is like 5cm gap. they say my wall is slanted, so no choice. the glass door measuremnet is straight cut.

im thinking can they slant the glass door to fit my slanted wall frame? sigh.. how? is it no choice but accept it? v obvious.. anyone walk pass can see the gap

as what i have said earlier, the wall(frame) should be rectified first before fixing the door.

dont think you can get anyone to cut a piece of odd shape glass or odd shape wooden door.

get them to fix the wall.

my kitchen entrance also about the same as yours - my contractor just "make" them straight 90° even though i didnt tell them to do so.

From the pics you mean you do not have a woodrn door frame? Is the glass panel mounted on the steel bracket which will be drilled on the side concrete wall? If so would it be possible for them to do plastering the bottom portion of the wall to make the wall straight?

Mine is not a wooden frame door. its just one single pc of glass door with 2 hinges that is fixed on the right side of th glass and drilled to the side concrete wall. So my door has a handle and can push or pull with hinge on the right.

On the left can see the big gap becoming wider n wider towards the bottom half.

U mean they can plaster the wall on the left to make it about the straight? But i dont think can, cos its a right angle wall and on the other 90 degree is the entrance to the bomb shelter, and its tiled with wall tiles.

Headache..

When I asked ID, he did not suggest any rectifications, just say your wall is slanted, so like this lor. The glass cannot cut slanted.. must be cut straight.

Edited by mint

Mine is not a wooden frame door. its just one single pc of glass door with 2 hinges that is fixed on the right side of th glass and drilled to the side concrete wall. So my door has a handle and can push or pull with hinge on the right.

U mean they can plaster the wall on the left to make it about the straight? But i dont think can, cos its a right angle wall and on the other 90 degree is the entrance to the bomb shelter, and its tiled with wall tiles.

Headache..

When I asked ID, he did not suggest any rectifications, just say your wall is slanted, so like this lor. The glass cannot cut slanted.. must be cut straight.

how come yours don't have protected rubber being placed at the side?

if put the rubber, you can adjust it, so that the gap look less obvious

Headache..

this kind of ID too tok kong liao.

tell him to PLASTER or whatever, you just wont accept it - or else end of the day - forget the $$$

Hmm.. Kitchen door passage way can also put protective rubber? I thought thats used at the shower screen area to prevent water from coming out? My shower screen got protective rubber at the side, but thats because the rubber is installed onto the other glass pane.

If they install that rubber, guess the rubber must stick to the tile?

OK shall ask him to plaster my wall.

Maybe thats why my neighbours all make wooden sliding door instead of glass door cos the passage way is slanted? (I see most of them with doors are using sliding glass or sliding wooden doors)

The purpose of making the door is to prevent air con from escaping when I on the aircon in the living area.

Edited by mint

Definitely can plaster the side wall to make it straight...ask him why cannot? Best to use the hard compund plaster materials as will give strong & smooth finishing.

Cutting the glass not straight will make the glass not look nice...don't you think so?

Plastic on the edge of the glass is another possbile idea and help to stop the air-cond from escaping. Just that it may make some noice when it rub against the wall when openning/closing.

Edited by lifestyle

But the wall has wall tiles. Still can plaster? and then retile? Willn't it be too heavy and "pop" in future?

Anyway is the glass door sliding or casement? Sliding will have gap on the railings, so if meant to keep aircon in living room, not so ideal.

Edited by raincole

Oh... i though it does not have any wall tile (from the pics). If have wall tiles then have to removed the wall tiles first before plastering else tile may pop in future.

But the wall has wall tiles. Still can plaster? and then retile? Willn't it be too heavy and "pop" in future?

OMG! My tile is HDB tiles from 5 years ago. So now no more such model of tiles available in the market! Am I doomed?

I dont like the idea of rubber.. is this the only way left?

Edited by mint