Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mint

Glass Door - Slanted!

Why don't you explore the idea of having a new design wall tile just for the side of the entrance area.

Can you try posting a pic of the whole entrance area?

OMG! My tile is HDB tiles from 5 years ago. So now no more such model of tiles available in the market! Am I doomed?

I dont like the idea of rubber.. is this the only way left?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Picture489a.jpg

Picture491a.jpg

Opening on the most left is the toilet, then next is the passage way, then finally directly infront is the bomb shelter door.

Errmm, the side of the passage way is actually the entrance to the bomb shelter. If re-tile, would it be weird, since its part of the kitchen tiles?

Picture466.jpg

Edited by mint

Now i can see the problem more clearer. Yes it will not be a good ideal to re-tile just a section of the wall.

Only idea i can think of is get those long clear plastic stick-on on the side of the glass door.

Errmm, the side of the passage way is actually the entrance to the bomb shelter. If re-tile, would it be weird, since its part of the kitchen tiles?

I suggest putting that plastic rubber thing on the left side of the wall (those use in my shower screen to prevent water from splashing out).

He said also cannot, cos this rubber comes in a fixed size, means its also of a standard width, so even if stick there, also wont solve my problem.

From the picture, it look like the width is only the size of a dollar coin.

Thats about 25mm. And the top is 10mm.

So even if you use the 10mm, gap remains at 15mm (clear)

Can you live with that 15mm gap ?

Another way to correct wall alignment is to built white frame or wood trimming

on both side only. It may be too late, but your ID should have advised you that.

Picture471a.jpg

Picture470a.jpg

See...

I ask : Since my wall is not straight, did u know about it? Cant the glass be cut slanted to follow my wall? (yea, i know i asked stupid qn, but i just wan to ask n hear what he say)

ID: Cannot, glass only can cut straight, cannot slant.

I ask: Then do u know my wall is slanted? Why before make the glass door, nvr hear from u say my wall is slanted?

ID: Out of 100 HDB house, all the walls are slanted. Noneed to say lor.. so we still make the glass door.

Stupid right??

ID : Since u really dont like this, I suggest we can make a door frame using laminate - thats what a lot of pple do, make like a wooden frame so will cover the aircon from escaping - the carpenter will do this.

I ask : So must pay a not - how much?

ID: Dunno - must ask carpenter, cos this one is charged by carpenter, not the glass guy.

Very stupid right?! Still wan us to pay??

Haizz.. am i very fussy? No right? I think Im not being unreasonable.. isnt it this xxx ID fault? He shld hv measured and let me know my wall is slanted, and what problem will arise if they make the glass door as per quoted... nvr pre-empt me and still dare to say all HDB walls are slanted, so no need to tell me and will just do the glass door......(blood boil, heart thump!)

And the glass person.. do they come onsite to measure? If they measure my wall slanted, do they tell the ID? Then why ID nvr tell me?

Or is it the ID measure and ask glass pple to make? So my ID know my wall is slanted, and nvr tell me? Or he just hack care? Or maybe he nvr measure and just ask the glass pple to come n masure then make. So the glass pple just do what ID say?

Lagi like saying if the gap is small, pple can accept. If gap is too big, then u suay lor... cos either u accept it, or pay $ to make the frame.

Edited by mint

Picture434.jpg

See even the hinge is done up not up to standard... one up one down.

that looks bad job done...

i installed a sliding glass door, i got 3 small chip off at the bottom, need to see very near, then can see

i also ask them to take back and install new ones, and they did!

Glass can cut slant, curve etc. Where got glass can't cut slant!! Its the glass guy didn't measure properly. Your ID don't want to change for you, cos additional cost to him! Don't believe, just check yellow page for glass sheet seller, call and ask them if you want a 841mm top and 846mm bottom glass they can make for you, they will be happy to do it for your $$$$. Go try.

The wall gap at the bottom of the glass door looks awfully big.

The rubber or plastic tubing allows gap cover up to abt 1.5mm, anything bigger wun work.

fm the looks of it, to cover up such a gap a door frame is probably a better choice.

dsc001037rl.jpgdsc00105e49.jpg

The wall gap at the bottom of the glass door looks awfully big.

The rubber or plastic tubing allows gap cover up to abt 1.5mm, anything bigger wun work.

fm the looks of it, to cover up such a gap a door frame is probably a better choice.

dsc001037rl.jpgdsc00105e49.jpg

Yap, door frame or wood trimmings is a better choice.

Don't have to laminated, could be painted.

May need to cut the glass to size again (no charge?)

By the way, need to realign the hinge lah,

REALLY! WOW!!

Cos my kitchen cabinet back-splash uses frost glass, the left/right height dimension + top/bottom length also different by a little. Also need to cut it slant + with slot, curve and holes to fit in the power points, etc. The glass guy came and measure here, measure there, took a lot of dimension before cutting the glass. For glass door I don't think its an issue. Its weather the ID & glass guy wants to custom make the door for you. 8|

Edited by Brainstorm

Good news, finally my glass door has been changed, and can fit my frame nicely with small little gap which my finger cant go thru.

My glass door been replaced last night at 6pm, only I call him repeatedly the last few days to get an update. He always revert to say the glass pple not yet revert. So in the end, I said " if you face any problem, give me their no, I will call them myself! U tell them the customer is not happy and is rushing for it".

See lar, must call, scold, nag, threaten ID then will agree to change. Whats wrong wif these pple? (Still got stupid reasons as in glass cannot cut slanted. Full of rubbish!)

Glass door been changed, but not very happy cos of all the rubbish I got to go thru just to get one single thing done. (Hubby always ask me to be bad guy- sometimes very tired from all these. He is also bz at work, so no time to call.) Getting an ID is supposed to help us, cos we are all working, no time and no knowledge about renov. In the end, some of these things we also need to do.

My stainless steel handle is not glossy type. Its matte and I wanted to have a glossy one (see the pic below) - I want a similar one, but in gloss same as shower screen type. But my ID says this is better, so that if hands oily oily or salty (fr cooking) hold onto the handle, it will not tarnish, leave marks, stains easily. He say its better quality than the glossy handle which we have for our shower screen. Anyone knows - can help?

Now I dont even know to believe him a not.. after all these things, u know, there is no more faith.

So very glad that there is this forum and you guys out there are so helpful in sharing knowledge and info, if not people like me (newbie in renov) will be conned left n right, top n bottom.

After all these issues (glass issue, aircon issue, etc etc) - Such ID is to avoid at all costs, unless you have loads of time, extra heart to take on such nonsense.

Picture589a.jpg

Edited by mint