Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ThE sUnDiAl

Which Type Of Pipe Is Use For Connection Of Storage Heater

Hi all,

Need ur advice.. :bleah: I was told that stainless steel pipe is difficult and more brittle to bend, may crack at corners & have leakage issues; whilst copper pipe is more flexible & durable, can last longer.. Is this true? :) TIA

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

Need ur advice.. :bleah: I was told that stainless steel pipe is difficult and more brittle to bend, may crack at corners & have leakage issues; whilst copper pipe is more flexible & durable, can last longer.. Is this true? :) TIA

yes, it is harder to bend for SS. But i have seen copper not being bended properly as well. At the end of the day, it all boils all down to the workers' skill and the tools they have/used..

both also can use for storage heater.. no issue.

yes, it is harder to bend for SS. But i have seen copper not being bended properly as well. At the end of the day, it all boils all down to the workers' skill and the tools they have/used..

both also can use for storage heater.. no issue.

Hi ilys,

thanks for advice.. :notti: least i'm more clearer now.. tot using copper is due to lower cost.. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi ilys,

thanks for advice.. :good: least i'm more clearer now.. tot using copper is due to lower cost.. :deal:

So which is more advisable??? Stainless steel cost more right?

Can guys here who have done their reno advise??

Thanks in advise.

Personally I would prefer SS pipes. Copper pipe will oxidise (to green colour) over time unless u paint it.

Many sayings, but it boils down to preference. Nowadays SS pipes will still rust a little coz they're low grade SS pipes. Either u want Copper in your water or Iron in your water. Either way is fine. Difficult to bent, yes, but at most u will do 90deg bents, so don't believe those stories of bent until break... nobody will do 180deg bents..

eh copper is actually more expensive

and citygas mandates that only copper pipes be used for gas pipes

copper is easier to bend, so less likelihood of leakage

and no, copper doesn't leak into the water.

just paint over the copper pipes can liao, if you don't like the colour :notti:

my ID say copper currently more ex than stainless steel.

anyway, i duno why my stainless steel pipe got copper connectors..??!?! have not asked my ID..

Seems like there are differing views here. According to my aunt who is in the hardware industry selling copper and stainless steel pipes and my plumber, stainless steel may be prone to rust though this will only happen say maybe 8-10 years down the road. But you have to beware of the copper in the market now as due to the high prices there are many inferior products out there from China. According to my aunt, some copper pipes will leak after a few years due to the inferior quality. Only go for the Australian ones such as Kembla and Crane.

Scientific approach, let's look at Thermal emissivity coefficient:

Copper heated and covered with thick oxide layer 0.78

Copper Polished 0.023 - 0.052

Stainless Steel, weathered 0.85

Stainless Steel, polished 0.075

Stainless Steel, type 301 0.54 - 0.63

(The higher the number means it lose heat faster. Means that your pipe that is carrying your hot water is become cold faster)

Stainless steel and copper has quite close thermal emissivity, therefore in terms of the pipe losing heat and waste energy, there's no significant impact. Furthermore, if u paint your pipe, it will increase the insulation property. But this rate of heat lost will not significant cause a visible change in your energy bill.

Scientific approach, let's look at Thermal emissivity coefficient:

Copper heated and covered with thick oxide layer 0.78

Copper Polished 0.023 - 0.052

Stainless Steel, weathered 0.85

Stainless Steel, polished 0.075

Stainless Steel, type 301 0.54 - 0.63

(The higher the number means it lose heat faster. Means that your pipe that is carrying your hot water is become cold faster)

Stainless steel and copper has quite close thermal emissivity, therefore in terms of the pipe losing heat and waste energy, there's no significant impact. Furthermore, if u paint your pipe, it will increase the insulation property. But this rate of heat lost will not significant cause a visible change in your energy bill.

From a scientific point of view, the concern should not lie so much in their thermal conductivity as both are metals and you can expect similar thermal properties.

SS is known to have problem with welding. If connecting the pipings requires welding. SS is usually avoided, as welded SS will rust when the chromium layer gets removed.

Why SS is rust resistant is bcoz of the chromium layer. Imagine bending SS, not only will the protective chromium layer gets thinner. It may even become incontinuos. When a protective coat becomes incontinuos, its as good as one without any protective coat. Think: a scratch on a coat of paint over iron.

Tougher metal like SS, when bent, The mechanical stress build-up is also higher. And corrosion (rust) usually attacks regions of higher mechanical stress concentration (google: stress corrosion)

These are some stuffs I recalled from my uni days. :)