Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fishpond

Aluminium, Wood Or Pvc-u Sliding Doors

Would like to install sliding doors for outdoor use so was concern about wood. Contractor says aluminium. Been reading about PVC-U frames. Brand Fascina . Does anyone have any experience with PVC-u frames?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Sliding doors with wooden frames are not advisable for outdoor use. The harsh sunlight not only dries up the wood, which makes it shrink and crack, the wood stain will also be bleached by the sun.

Aluminium is best for long lasting use.

Fascina is a reliable brand but they are expensive. Have you approached Decorille (Bestview) to quote for you? These are of very high quality, but expensive too.

I am not familiar with Fascina's features but I know Decorille's is water-tight (so great for outdoor use) and because of their glass, sounds are cut down significantly.

I will be installing glass sliding doors from Decorille. Boy, are they expensive. Feedback from friends say they are worth every cent. We shall see ..... (my fingers are crossed)

All the best, whichever you decide.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

fishpond, I hope you check back this thread.

I visited the Fascina showroom today and if you haven't, please go.

I am taking my words back. uPVC doors are fab by comparison to aluminium. The aesthetics of uPVC frames are great ... and because the frame profile is broader, they look classier. I like the fact that uPVC windows and doors cut down the noise from outside and also keep loud music in. It's water tight and perfect for use as Patio doors.

uPVC is expensive. About $25 psf. The low range of aluminium is $10 psf, medium being $20 psf, and so on. But the value add of uPVC features make it so pleasurable to have in the house.

One of the best features of uPVC doors and windows is that they have multi-locking points. So it improves the home security.

It's too late for me to change my sliding doors to uPVC but I may want to install uPVC casement doors for the back kitchen door.