Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dreamgirl

Wedding Luncheon On Weekend

Hi all,

We are thinking of holding wedding luncheon. Our church wedding service is in morning, so wanted to follow that with wedding luncheon in hotel.

Anyone has been in wedding luncheon ? How's the ambience ? It may not be as glam as dinner wedding, but I thought it would be relaxing, as ppl won't rush to go home.

Also, will people give much less ang pao for lunch wedding ? The wedding during lunchtime is cheaper, but we are thinking of going for 5 star hotel that still costs ard $80 per pax for lunch... Will we lose a lot ?

Anyone that has conducted wedding luncheon care to share the experience ?

:bangwall:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

People are starting to get used to wedding luncheon and being better-informed that it actually costs as much as wedding dinner, but I tell you, the older folks will still be skeptical. Angbaos will probably be lesser.

I went to a friend's wedding luncheon also, menu exactly the same as dinner, same price of course. But it doesn't have the same 'feel' because everyone expects it to be short and sweet, don't drink alot (although that's a good thing) and not much fun. Its all prim and proper, like corporate function like that.

So if you ask me, I won't advise for luncheon unless you really can't help it...

I went to a friend's wedding luncheon also, menu exactly the same as dinner, same price of course. But it doesn't have the same 'feel' because everyone expects it to be short and sweet, don't drink alot (although that's a good thing) and not much fun. Its all prim and proper, like corporate function like that.

But wedding dinner also very standard leh:

1. Bride and groom walk-in (a bit different if military march in, obstacles to clear)

2. Serving 1st dish (with all the the special effects)

3. Photo/slide/video show of courtship and proceedings earlier in the day

3. Bridge and groom get change and walk in second time.

4. Pour champagne and cake cutting

5. Yum seng

6. Photo taking (with a bit of games and teasing by the brothers and sisters)

7. Good bye

Anyway, we are also contemplating wedding luncheon.

I had a wedding luncheon too. The feel was really not the same as having one at dinner. (I am imagining myself attending a luncheon and one at dinner) Franking speaking, the APs were slightly lesser but for close kins and friends we still got the same market rates. I got $20, $40 and $50 APs too but only a couple of each amount. Rest at least $60.

1. Bride and groom walk-in (a bit different if military march in, obstacles to clear)

5. Yum seng

7. Good bye

The main part is on the drinking and teasing - think this will happen more at dinners, especially on weekends, but also depends on your crowd lah. I attended a few extreme ones, like a guy (who is very outspoken) got abit high and went on stage to 'jio' the groom and all the 'xiong-dis' to drink; best part is they also high and went up to entertain him! The dinner ended at 11+pm, but very fun lor. On the other extreme, got this very very solemn wedding dinner, machiam some kind of graduation ceremony or award presentation - sianz!!

Somemore for people with family, weekend luncheons are very unpopular, because cut out their precious family times. Weekday luncheons even needless to say, have to take leave, attendance rate will drop badly... :good:

btw honestly i think ppl will normally pao lesser..

btw which hotel are u looking at?

Currently thinking of Four Seasons, cos there's big windows at the end of ballroom, so natural light can come in during lunchtime, pretty nice.

But still considering a few hotels, haven't decide. Good thing is easy to get a slot, cos less people 'fight' for lunchtime wedding. Even good dates are still available.

5. Yum seng

7. Good bye

We are also thingking of slightly western style wedding. With live music and dance floor area (so can do bride/groom first dance). Feel that it's slightly different with typical standard wedding. But this one may need to do dinner time one.

The main part is on the drinking and teasing - think this will happen more at dinners, especially on weekends, but also depends on your crowd lah. I attended a few extreme ones, like a guy (who is very outspoken) got abit high and went on stage to 'jio' the groom and all the 'xiong-dis' to drink; best part is they also high and went up to entertain him! The dinner ended at 11+pm, but very fun lor. On the other extreme, got this very very solemn wedding dinner, machiam some kind of graduation ceremony or award presentation - sianz!!

Somemore for people with family, weekend luncheons are very unpopular, because cut out their precious family times. Weekday luncheons even needless to say, have to take leave, attendance rate will drop badly... :P

But hoh.. that means if do it during lunchtime, can cut beer and wine expenses :) hehe...

But you're rite, depend on the crowd. I went to wedding luncheon before, people still drink a lot, but that wedding got a lot of ang moh coming, they drink day and nite one.

Yeah, if want to do wedding lunch, can only do it on sat / sun. I don't think the hotel has weekday wedding lunch package, sure no one attend one.

But hoh.. that means if do it during lunchtime, can cut beer and wine expenses :P hehe...

If you calculate it, beer and wine does not affect your budget drastically. Wines are below $20 and for beer, usually if you need extra, it will be chargeable by the jug at $20+.

Just compare the luncheon and dinner, how many bottles of wines and/or jugs of beer can you save? To save this amount and risk your angbaos becoming smaller is not quite worth it leh, IMO...

Actually most ppl will tink tat luncheon are cheaper than dinners...I also hv tis thinking till one of friend's bro invite wedding luncheon and guess wat?? They had it at Swissotel and per table near $900..Not any cheaper...Bt I heard they cannot cover back and make quite a loss as most ppl pao less...

So betta tink twice....cos ppl like us will tink tat luncheon is cheaper...

Thanks for all the advice... Definitely need to discuss this with hubby again.

The problem is now my church ceremony is in morning, if we have our wedding banquet for dinner, then there's no continuation. The guests may end up just attend to dinner and not the church ceremony, because there's so long lapse time...

For me, the church ceremony is pretty important and I wanted more people to attend if possible.

Sigh... now confused... confused... :good:

Thanks for all the advice... Definitely need to discuss this with hubby again.

The problem is now my church ceremony is in morning, if we have our wedding banquet for dinner, then there's no continuation. The guests may end up just attend to dinner and not the church ceremony, because there's so long lapse time...

For me, the church ceremony is pretty important and I wanted more people to attend if possible.

Sigh... now confused... confused... :dancingqueen:

My uncle had a lunch buffet followed by the church ceremony....

Then followed by wedding dinner at nite.

I am sure those close to u will attend the ceremony.

My uncle's is a good example! Most of us attended the ceremony and dinner.

If possible hold it on a weekend....there shouldn't be any plm! :dancingqueen:

My uncle had a lunch buffet followed by the church ceremony....

Then followed by wedding dinner at nite.

I am sure those close to u will attend the ceremony.

My uncle's is a good example! Most of us attended the ceremony and dinner.

If possible hold it on a weekend....there shouldn't be any plm! :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks for all your encouragement.

Hopefully can shift church ceremony from 10 am to 3 pm, so at least can continue with dinner nicely...

Wah, but if having lunch buffet + wedding dinner, our budget won't cover that :jawdrop:

hi y dun hold it on different dates? on different months? many brides did such arrangements..

I second this suggestion! Eg church ceremony on Sat, then dinner on Sun.

After the ceremony everyone can go home or do their own business, shopping, bring kids out etc, while you and your hubby can go relax at home/hotel.

Then on sunday, you also no need to wake up early and rush thru the whole thing, can laze around at home/hotel, go to spa, pedi/medicure, until about 4pm then start to prepare for dinner.

And yeah, that's what I did for my wedding (except no church ceremony, but tea ceremony at home...).

Thanks for all your encouragement.

Hopefully can shift church ceremony from 10 am to 3 pm, so at least can continue with dinner nicely...

Wah, but if having lunch buffet + wedding dinner, our budget won't cover that :(

Is the wedding dinner location going to walking distance from the church? If not, then expect guests to go about doing their own business and perhaps come late for the dinner.

But anyway, whether is it same day or different days, expect to have some guests to choose to come for one only.

Y not hold it buffet style at your church right after the ceremony?? That way, guests can mingle around and you can hv a relaxed atmosphere....can do up your own decor too...shd be quite fun...

Disclaimer: seen those in ang moh movies...hv always liked this idea....but duno whether anyone practised holding buffet at church here in sg before... :(