Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Natasha

Cooking Wok

I use iron wok with no handle for heavy cooking...

and a Meyer non-stick 40 cm deep wok with handles

n a lid for any stir fry dishes....

(bot at a steal at 9.90 each at a JL Friday morning sale.. :P

I bot 2 ,,, one reserve as i never saw the original 89.90 :good:

selling so cheap in my 10 yrs of shopping for cookware here.. )

Only thing u must make sure is never heat empty non-stick wok...

either put some oil or onion or garlic or whatever u r cooking

immediately after u switch on the gas.... so prepare everything before u

switch on the gas when using non-stick or teflon.

Whereas for iron wok u can pre-heat it before u add ur ingredients!!

Edited by Lakmy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

(bot at a steal at 9.90 each at a JL Friday morning sale.. :yamseng:

I bot 2 ,,, one reserve as i never saw the original 89.90 :P

u mean the original price form the meyer non-stick is 89.90 and now is selling for 9.90? 90% discount man!:good: for iron wok is a must to preheat the wok b4 putting oil into the wok to prevent sticking. so non-stick is the other way round. ya non-stick cannot take too high heat or else it may release toxin.

u mean the original price form the meyer non-stick is 89.90 and now is selling for 9.90? 90% discount man!:) for iron wok is a must to preheat the wok b4 putting oil into the wok to prevent sticking. so non-stick is the other way round. ya non-stick cannot take too high heat or else it may release toxin.

Yup right!!

I got it some months ago... just happened to be day-off for hb...jus happened to be in

Northpoint for breakfast... happened to be JL Friday morning specials... happened to

see lot of my neighbour aunties all looking excited... it was just 8.30 am.. so had breakfast

and went to just look-look see-see...

bought the 2 woks as well as zebra sauce pans with lids .. 2 for 10 purrfect for cooking maggi mee ... n at least 2 types of glasses for serving drinks at 6pcs for $6...

wet-wipes, single bedsheet sets all within 50 bucks!!

+ got the 5% discount as card holder osso cut out coupon from Straits times... 10 $ off for every 50$ hor... Lucky we had just bot the newspaper and had it with us!!

Never been able to make it for the fri morn sales b4 or after that day lor!! nowadays they advertise sale n have sales at expo so often that I dont think its really a disount sale! just sales gimmick :)

(bot at a steal at 9.90 each at a JL Friday morning sale.. :notti:

I bot 2 ,,, one reserve as i never saw the original 89.90 :sport-smiley-004:

Non-stick wok still not safe lar. Iron wok will rust, so again still cant compare to stainless steel.

Best to invest is a good wok that will last you forever.

I used to think that you must have high heat to have tasty food, this wok hei thing.... But after seing n using a set of good s/s pots, I now have great food that retains it original favour without having to add any favouring whatsoever, saves gas, and no need to clean up after cooking!

So for me more than anything outweighs wok hei. :P

erm 18/8 is entry grade, most cooking utensils should be at least 18/10 :sport-smiley-004:

i do agree with the wok hei part, s/s just don't cut it

neither does anodised woks :P

Well, I'm no expert in steel. But I as I know, there is very little difference between 18/8 and 18/10. They both still fall into 304 grade of stainless steel. :notti:

Non-stick wok still not safe lar. Iron wok will rust, so again still cant compare to stainless steel.

Best to invest is a good wok that will last you forever.

I used to think that you must have high heat to have tasty food, this wok hei thing.... But after seing n using a set of good s/s pots, I now have great food that retains it original favour without having to add any favouring whatsoever, saves gas, and no need to clean up after cooking!

So for me more than anything outweighs wok hei. :sport-smiley-004:

Hi little_sunshine,

What brand and series of s/s wok r u using? Quite curious here. No doubt professional chef quality s/s cookware is aso very good as it is thick with many layer of ply but aso not cheap lor.

But still, some dishes need high need to get the best flavour, esp chinese style fast stir-fry. Braising does require low heat.

hm...I think original taste is very subjective. But for sure raw food has the most original taste :P

I'm using the WMF stainless steel wok. Its 18/10 s/s. Only bad thing is the base is too flat for the 36cm. And the 40cm may be too big (and too expensive) for some people. As I've read in so many articles in the forums, it depends on how often you use it. No point getting it if you cook like once a month.

But stainless steel reacts with food??? I thought its the best non-reactive material consumers can get. Any one can clarify?

i duno abt the stainless steel, should be no problm, so long its not aluminium type. i heard from someone that aluminium no gd to be cookware or use for cooking of any type of food. and that pots like corningware or glass type are better although they will break if not handle carefully.

i duno... anyone advising here?

i only know aluminium cannot be used to cook anything acidic

coz the acid actually breaks down the aluminium and it seeps into the food :P

as for s/s, it might not be 'bad' for chinese herbs

but claypot is generally considered the 'best' for preparing herbal concoctions :(

Hi little_sunshine,

What brand and series of s/s wok r u using? Quite curious here. No doubt professional chef quality s/s cookware is aso very good as it is thick with many layer of ply but aso not cheap lor.

But still, some dishes need high need to get the best flavour, esp chinese style fast stir-fry. Braising does require low heat.

hm...I think original taste is very subjective. But for sure raw food has the most original taste :P

I'm using iCook. Upfront, not cheap, but my LPG went from 1 tank a month to 1 every 3-4 months. Long term, I figured that I'll recover my money after 5 years, not to mention the time that I saved during cooking, time saved by not cleaning up after cooking, and tasty food to cap it all. :dribble:

!! Ahh, I should have said that the pot brings out the favours in the food without any seasoning added. :D

i only know aluminium cannot be used to cook anything acidic

coz the acid actually breaks down the aluminium and it seeps into the food :jawdrop:

as for s/s, it might not be 'bad' for chinese herbs

but claypot is generally considered the 'best' for preparing herbal concoctions :yamseng:

Err, actually aluminium should not even be used for any cooking. Aluminium is a very soft metal, so easy to come off and mix with water as we stir the food.

Its biggest advantage is that it heats up very easily, so a lot of hawkers like to use it to cook porridge and fish soup. Sometimes, better dont know, cos once u know, u wont be able to eat at a lot of hawkers :(

actually aluminium can be used for cooking, just not for acidic food

if not all those 'instant' food from 7-eleven kenna ban liao loh

it's one of the best heat conductor so very commonly used for fast cooking

it won't come off just like that, only when in contact with acid

so only :jawdrop::yamseng: is foods that has lower pH levels !!

Is anyone using Le Creuset cast iron cookware? They're the best, aren't they?

I don't have any but intend to buy a Le Creuset 9" Skillet from the Isetan private sales this Thursday for $53 after 10% discount on sales item (sale price is $59, original price is $100++). But it is not be the best, STAUB is on par if not better.

However, I recommend IKEA enameled cast iron product (SENIOR series) made in France. I bought a saute pan which cost only $49, but the cooking result is amazing, which wmf and calphalon cookware to be put to shame. Initially my wife also skeptical but after using it she kept on praising how good is the pan, and now she cooks more often, and willing to share with me the cost for the next purchase of frying pan.