Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nipponho

Plaster & Paint Toilet Walls?

How old are you? In the 60's and 70's, S'poreans were very poor and many people lived in 1-rm to 3-rm flats. Toilets then had squat bowls, and most people had bare walls, not tiles.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Phoenix, Is it? Everything on magazine sure look nice. I vaguely remember some hotels also don't have tiles. I will try to think of an opportunity to visit hotel to see.

WaiLeong : I am only in my 30s. But the 3 room flat i just purchased has many of the things u said. Squat toilet, "mor-peng" walls, toilet half tile up half bare. Very sad hor? I hope to keep my reno budget under 12k.

i have been thinking of such a toilet after reading this post days back...

I do remember i saw such a toilet somewhere....either in my old primary school, st john island, old rundown house in tanjongpagar...somewhere...cant really recall. NO wall tiles in the toilet, the walls are "shinny"/gloss paint. memory not enough...haiz.

Phoenix, Is it? Everything on magazine sure look nice. I vaguely remember some hotels also don't have tiles. I will try to think of an opportunity to visit hotel to see.

WaiLeong : I am only in my 30s. But the 3 room flat i just purchased has many of the things u said. Squat toilet, "mor-peng" walls, toilet half tile up half bare. Very sad hor? I hope to keep my reno budget under 12k.

nipponho, frankly, i do like this concept of not using tiles in the toilet, or at least, not tile it up totally. personally am keen to explore, but the new place i bot the wall tiles look really new still, so its quite wasted to juz hack away.

by the way, my previous place also a 3 room flat and the toilets are tiled halfway, the upper part is the wall. i used my left over paint fr painting my kitchen to paint that part of the wall, i dun think its those weather resistent type. over time, u can see abit of greenish thingy (algae i think) at the corner (nearer to the shower area only), but it can be cleaned off. but my wall has texture on it... rough rough one... dunno whats that called. and also my place high floor and unblocked so its very windy. perhaps u'd like to consider this also... is your place windy?

and by the way, there is nothing sad about purchasing a 3rm flat hor. and back then my reno budget only 10K :notti:

actually, we didnt tile our toilet completely...

shower areas are tiled to ceiling... other areas are tiled up to sink height only, and then plaster & paint above.

Hi Phoenix,

Mine is also like this, tile halfway, and the part where the tile ends and where bare wall begins is very ugly, ie. the joint.

Mine is mid floor, blocked behind, but block or unblock will not impact on toilet. Will wind come into toilet? Mine confirm will not.

Not every 3 room purchase is a sad story. But mine happens to be sad story. Once i am better off, i will chao.

Back then is when? Back then 10k can do the whole house, now cannot, i think recently their prices go up a little, bec a lot of people move house and reno, sand price also went up.

Hi Rummi, u already tile 75%, u might as well tile all the way :)

Hi Rummi, u already tile 75%, u might as well tile all the way :good:

hi nipponho, actually it was an intentional design to NOT tile the whole toilet :)

onli the shower area will get wet - so tile the shower area.

the rest of the toilet (=remaining 2/3 of the area) can look like a powder room with nice paint/mirror/decorations instead of looking like a WC mah :unsure:

maintenance will be easier too - just bring a 3m/magiclean mop up the wall will do. instead of having to scrub down tiles joints. hehe

I see. Powder room. I think perhaps your face looks very nice, looks like you make up a lot, unlike my walls, mor peng, see also headache.

I think i can visualise. Yours is something like hotel, shower area enclosed, the rest of the toilet will be dryer.

What about the part when the tiles end and bare wall begin? Can they make it to look nice? Mine very ugly, it could be done by hdb many years ago.

I see. Powder room. I think perhaps your face looks very nice, looks like you make up a lot, unlike my walls, mor peng, see also headache.

I think i can visualise. Yours is something like hotel, shower area enclosed, the rest of the toilet will be dryer.

What about the part when the tiles end and bare wall begin? Can they make it to look nice? Mine very ugly, it could be done by hdb many years ago.

hi nipponho, no need to be too upset with morpheng-wall la. can be easily fixed by doing a plaster coat over;) mine wall has been thickly make-up with plaster too...

about the joining line between tiles & wall paint. 4 possible colutions :

- install tiles tat are made for this purpose. all tile suppliers have.

- use PVC wall-ends (the old fashion way)

- plaster a 45degrees 'slope' from tile down to plaster

- or plaster so tat the tiles & plaster-wall is flush

more than enuff options to choose fr la :unsure:

Hi Phoenix,

Mine is also like this, tile halfway, and the part where the tile ends and where bare wall begins is very ugly, ie. the joint.

Mine is mid floor, blocked behind, but block or unblock will not impact on toilet. Will wind come into toilet? Mine confirm will not.

Not every 3 room purchase is a sad story. But mine happens to be sad story. Once i am better off, i will chao.

Back then is when? Back then 10k can do the whole house, now cannot, i think recently their prices go up a little, bec a lot of people move house and reno, sand price also went up.

Hi Rummi, u already tile 75%, u might as well tile all the way :notti:

yes, i agree nowadays money getting smaller n smaller!! well, back then for me... was abt 6-7 yrs ago.

is your 3rm in total original condition?

hi nipponho, no need to be too upset with morpheng-wall la. can be easily fixed by doing a plaster coat over;) mine wall has been thickly make-up with plaster too...

about the joining line between tiles & wall paint. 4 possible colutions :

- install tiles tat are made for this purpose. all tile suppliers have.

- use PVC wall-ends (the old fashion way)

- plaster a 45degrees 'slope' from tile down to plaster

- or plaster so tat the tiles & plaster-wall is flush

more than enuff options to choose fr la :jawdrop:

rummi, what is PVC wall-ends?

rummi, what is PVC wall-ends?

walk into any tile-shop n see for yourself la! u'll be vei surprise when u see it, cos its very commin sight in public toilets too;)

I was wondering if anyone tried to plaster the walls of the toilet and paint it with weather shield? How long will the paint stay before it flakes? If it can last one year, I don’t mind painting it every 12 months since the area is not big and it will not be too tiring to repaint.

Wondering if you had tried putting your idea into reality? I'm also toying with this idea for my newly purchased resale flat cos i don't like the tiled look and the hassle of cleaning the tiles & grout lines.

Hi ngangie, in the end i chickened out. Nobody does it, so i dare not try. I tiled it instead, but i chose a cheaper tile, $2.60psf. There are even cheaper ones, but not so nice.

Im also thinking of epoxy poainting my toilet walls, but i read that with contact with water regularly, the paint will peel off.

Any forumers can share their experiences?