Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mr mio

Pp-r Pipe Vs Copper Pipe

Hi, my contractor recommended me to use PP-R pipe (Polypropylene pipe)for my recon private house, but my plumber said the it may have problem as PUB is not fully reconise this pipe althought it is wisely used at new type of HDB and private condo. and he said it may have the leaking problem. any one have the experience or knowladge that can share? as my experience copper pipe have more tendency of leaking after 10 years or least.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi, my contractor recommended me to use PP-R pipe (Polypropylene pipe)for my recon private house, but my plumber said the it may have problem as PUB is not fully reconise this pipe althought it is wisely used at new type of HDB and private condo. and he said it may have the leaking problem. any one have the experience or knowladge that can share? as my experience copper pipe have more tendency of leaking after 10 years or least.

Some advise to consider.......IMO it is better than copper.

1. GMP standard, material used in alot of factories also. Comes in standard color, PP white/grey.

2. Must get right contractor to install.

3. Check the specs that they are giving you. ID/OD/Thickness/Press rating (Ibs)...MP for PP avg 90 deg C.

4. Reduce leakage, use correct glue for socket connection. (Preferred, Weldon)

5. Less common in the market. Cannot buy off the shelf from normal hardware shop.

6. Higher cost for materials also labor. Pipe is not but valves and adaptors will be.

7. After installation recommended to do a hydro/pressure test.

8. If you still think it will leak you can ask for PP welding provided your contractor knows how to do it.

Hope this helps.....for more info you can google it. Gd Luck!

"not fully" recognise? What BS is this? Either it's "recognised" or it's not. Clearly the guy is pulling a fast one.

I've never heard of PUB "recognising" anything.

Edited by waileong

4. Reduce leakage, use correct glue for socket connection. (Preferred, Weldon)

Thanks for your precious opinion, the contractor told me that he uses "fusion kid" for the join, does it mean

that weldon as you mentioned?

"not fully" recognise? What BS is this? Either it's "recognised" or it's not. Clearly the guy is pulling a fast one.

I've never heard of PUB "recognising" anything.

The plumber claimed that although new condo and HDB is using now, but he never seen any private house

using it. so this is what he concerned. so have any one seen the private house using it?

Well, I'm using it. But the point is, in a private house, it's up to you what you want to use.

Look-- water flows the same way, whether it's a private house or HDB or condo.