Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hweesing

Engage Id Or Contractor?

Hi all. I'm new here but have benefited lots from reading all the postings. I got my flat recently and should be starting renovations soon. I have already spent quite a bit in paying the cash-above-valuation and would like to cut costs in renovation as much as possible. I was wondering must I have an ID as I already have an idea of what I want (collected a number of pictures too), nothing very fancy, just earth tone and hassle-free fixtures and furnitures. However I'm quite weary (and blur) of all the nitty-gritty details to renovate a house so I'm not sure do I need a ID to help me see to all the details. Also, being a very busy working person I'm also not sure if I have the time to supervise the reno. Can anyone advise me? Sorry for the very chiong-hey post but hope u guys hv a better pic. Thanks in advance!:notti:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

actually whether u use ID or contractor, u still should go down to check things out during the various stages to ensure. getting an ID doesn't mean won't have any screw ups.

i think if u get a main contractor, he can probably handle everything with his other sub cons. but u still have to check check check from time to time.

no easy way outta this. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree, whether you use ID or contractor you must still check regularly on the work yourself.

That said, I wld still engage an ID.

Indeed I wld feel sorry for myself if I had to deal with the contractor/workers myself, because in my case the workers made several (fatal) errors and made excuses for them when I asked them to rectify. Like for instance, side-by-side door frames that were of different height!! That was a serious flaw to me.

When I pointed out the mistake made to the ID, he immediately asked the workers to rectify, and they dutifully complied. I was impressed.

There were other instances too of the contractor arguing with me e.g. when I told the contractor I didn't want a kerb for my bathroom or toilet he said he has to build a kerb because the kitchen floor already cld not be layered "higher" than the toilet floor so as to make the kerb redundant. He said HDB regulations require a certain floor-to-ceiling height for the kitchen to be maintained and he wld lose his license if he flouted the regulation. What can one say when he made an argument like that? :P

In the end I prevailed because my ID helped me. You can read about that when I have time to detail it on my blog.

Was that incident a "put on" b/w the ID and the workers for my "benefit"? I didn't think so, because I had renovated before and the present flat was my second renovation.

The contractor/workers are beholden to the ID for a continued flow of jobs and wld listen to him, otherwise the workers couldn't be bothered by the flat owner (they still get their daily rated pay whether or not the work is excellent or average).

BTW, I need to point out that getting an ID does not guarantee you wld have no problems with the workers or contractor. It all depends on how much influence the ID has with the contractor. Some IDs are as good as useless -- from the postings I've read on this forum. Do a search if you wish to find out.

When I have time I will detail other instances on my blog. PM me if you need my ID's contact.

Hope this helps. :P

actually whether u use ID or contractor, u still should go down to check things out during the various stages to ensure. getting an ID doesn't mean won't have any screw ups.

i think if u get a main contractor, he can probably handle everything with his other sub cons. but u still have to check check check from time to time.

no easy way outta this. :yamseng:

Edited by BlueFly

Hi all. I'm new here but have benefited lots from reading all the postings. I got my flat recently and should be starting renovations soon. I have already spent quite a bit in paying the cash-above-valuation and would like to cut costs in renovation as much as possible. I was wondering must I have an ID as I already have an idea of what I want (collected a number of pictures too), nothing very fancy, just earth tone and hassle-free fixtures and furnitures. However I'm quite weary (and blur) of all the nitty-gritty details to renovate a house so I'm not sure do I need a ID to help me see to all the details. Also, being a very busy working person I'm also not sure if I have the time to supervise the reno. Can anyone advise me? Sorry for the very chiong-hey post but hope u guys hv a better pic. Thanks in advance!:bangwall:

Hey hweesing,

oleady 2 mths since u las posted, how's reno status liao?

My personal view ->

- would like to cut costs in renovation -> get contractor :good:

- already have an idea of what u want (collected pictures of design u like) -> get contractor :good:

- u r not sure if u have time to supervise the reno -> get contractor :good:

Wat MaCe & Phoenix mentioned is correct & straight 2 e point.

u shd ->

- ngage a hdb license contractor. He is e Main Contractor who wil oversee, schedule, coordinate e whole project. He wil get e respective grps of workers for e respective works. :D

- do not ngage individual sub-con on ur own. eg. ngage a grp of flooring men, a grp of carpentry men, a grp of painting men. If u do dat, u wil end up scheduling, coordinating & surpervising e whole reno. Becums e Main Con / Site Coordinator urself!. This is not wat u wanted, initially. :(

- Although u let e Main Con take charge e whole reno, every now & then u olso need 2 go dn & check.

- 2 play safe, u shd check b4 works start, during works in process & works complete.

- eg. b4 floor tiles is laid, check izit e correct tile u wanted, e correct orientation of veins (if have). In e process of laying, whether e batch of tiles r ok (bad quality -warp seriously). Confirm with e Main Con.

- b4 carpentry is constructed, confirm with Main Con e correct kit cabinet / wardrode length, position, type of finishes.

Basically, do not assume, gota hav verbal & written consent & understanding. It works both ways & communication works wonder. :good:

Pardon mi for e long writting olso. Hopes it helps u in one way or another. ;)

:~

Hi, if you need reliable and affordable contractor, i can pm you my contractor. He's from Jade-Land Renovation & Design. I did mine recently.... very happy with the workmanship