Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
NiVleK

Our New Place @ Jw

Collection of Keys

Done!:thumbs up: On that very day, I was extremely eager to get my keys and open the door and see how the slanted living room look like. In fact, we went down to HDB almost 2 hours earlier than the scheduled appointment as I read in the forum that it is possible that they will call you earlier. Too bad, we only got in 10 mins before the appointment time!

Did all the paperwork. Sign blindly, cos I cant challenge the contract anyway. The officer told us about the ROM deadline which is 3 months away!! I NEED TO DEFER!! I plan to have ROM only in August!:bangwall:

Went up to SP Services to activate the electricity. Got an appointment for them to come and also sign up for City gas.

Went to our place and open door!:dunno: We are not those pang tang couple, got to see date of opening, see fengshui for placement of furniture etc, so just open lor. Hahaha. To our dismay, the long living room looks shorter in life. But that slanted part is a challenge for furniture placement and layout arrangement.

We were quite disappointed to see that the so called FULL HEIGHT windows are not really full height. They dun extend down to near the floor and looks real odd.

I also just did some minor defects check and boy oh boy, without checking on the tiling works yet, my defects list is already quite long!! Will update later!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

congrats on ur new home. me oso staying jurong west but mine at st 25. got to spend money wisely coz it reali cost a bomb for a new home. my reno alone alreadi costs me 40k. and another 23k on furnishing and electronics. always end up buying more than we expected.

ya i agree... buy things tat need to be installed during reno. other things like electronics and furnitures can wait. hehe. everything oso money.... :(

Collection of Keys

Done!:bleah: On that very day, I was extremely eager to get my keys and open the door and see how the slanted living room look like. In fact, we went down to HDB almost 2 hours earlier than the scheduled appointment as I read in the forum that it is possible that they will call you earlier. Too bad, we only got in 10 mins before the appointment time!

Did all the paperwork. Sign blindly, cos I cant challenge the contract anyway. The officer told us about the ROM deadline which is 3 months away!! I NEED TO DEFER!! I plan to have ROM only in August!:good:

Went up to SP Services to activate the electricity. Got an appointment for them to come and also sign up for City gas.

Went to our place and open door!:good: We are not those pang tang couple, got to see date of opening, see fengshui for placement of furniture etc, so just open lor. Hahaha. To our dismay, the long living room looks shorter in life. But that slanted part is a challenge for furniture placement and layout arrangement.

We were quite disappointed to see that the so called FULL HEIGHT windows are not really full height. They dun extend down to near the floor and looks real odd.

I also just did some minor defects check and boy oh boy, without checking on the tiling works yet, my defects list is already quite long!! Will update later!

slanted odd angles can be a headache...but if done creatively...ur hse can look special...itz a challenging thing... :good:

First Round Of Defects Checking

We decided to do some defects checking by ourselves first. One of our Shortlisted ID has been informed that I already got the keys and we can inspect it the coming Saturday. Think during that time, we will seek their advice on what else we have missed out. As far as I know, the period to check defects is so long you have not start renovation, it is ok.

Living/Dining Room

- Window lock difficult to close

Kitchen

- Window lock cannot close

- MULTIPLE uneven tiles (almost all?)

- Kitchen Toilet ceiling has a gap. Cannot close properly

- Crap Kitchen Toilet door. When closing it is just narrowly missing the toilet bowl

Master Bedroom

- Door has chipped & door is discolored to a greenish hue at a small area

- MBR window hard to lock

- MBR Toilet door chipped

- MBR Toilet vanity top workmanship lousy. Edges not rounded properly

- Crap MBR Toilet door. Have to close the door in order to access the vanity top properly.

Bedroom 2

- Door has chipped

Bedroom 3

- Door has chipped

- Window cannot lock

My main concern is the extremely lousy workmanship of the tiles in the kitchen. Hopefully HDB can hack off everything and then I could a nicer tile color/design. Hahaha :bleah:

Are you planning to buy 50 inch tv?

Today I was at my nneigbhour house and they have 42 inch tv (I think so)...but then the image seem to be fat...I mean the pple, surrounding just like a dwarf. How come like that?

Yeah. Thanks for the info. I have been reading and things like lights will add up to about 1k+!!!

Hahaha. I am trying to minimize the reno budget, doing essential things only.

Hoping that my toilet color will be NORMAL.

*cross fingers*

Are you planning to buy 50 inch tv?

Today I was at my nneigbhour house and they have 42 inch tv (I think so)...but then the image seem to be fat...I mean the pple, surrounding just like a dwarf. How come like that?

Are u currently using a standard 4:3 TV? Those normal "square" tv? Widescreen TVs are 16:9 so they will stretch normal broadcast images and hence the fat look.

I have been using a 32" widescreen in my bedroom at my mum's place for years, so I am kinda used to the fat ppl. LOL

Sorry no knowledge about this.

You mean wide screen will make the picture stretch and look fatter? But all are wide screen lay!

Are u currently using a standard 4:3 TV? Those normal "square" tv? Widescreen TVs are 16:9 so they will stretch normal broadcast images and hence the fat look.

I have been using a 32" widescreen in my bedroom at my mum's place for years, so I am kinda used to the fat ppl. LOL

Understanding Aspect Ratio

Got some pictures to show what I mean.

If you dun like fat ppl or cant get used to it, normally all tvs have the aspect ratio button to switch to 4:3 mode. In this case, you will see black bars beside and ur viewing area gets smaller.

please update with some pics hor BOB Niv!

Saw in BOB that you almost completed your reno? Already paid carpentry liaos.

Which ID you using?

Living/Dining Room

- Window lock difficult to close

- Extremely lousy workmanship of tiles

Kitchen

- Window lock cannot close. Window tough/stiff to close.

- MULTIPLE uneven tiles (almost all?)

- Kitchen Toilet ceiling has a gap. Cannot close properly

- Crap Kitchen Toilet door. When closing it is just narrowly missing the toilet bowl

Master Bedroom

- Door has chipped & door is discolored to a greenish hue at a small area

- MBR window hard to lock

- MBR Toilet door chipped

- MBR Toilet vanity top workmanship lousy. Edges not rounded properly

- Crap MBR Toilet door. Have to close the door in order to access the vanity top properly.

- Gouting lines wrong

- Paraquet flooring has holes. Skirting area have holes too

Bedroom 2

- Door has chipped

Bedroom 3

- Door has chipped

- Window cannot lock

I think all the tiles workmanship is **** lousy. Maybe I should write a comment to the papers/STOMP?

Just an update! We have secured our ID! It is.......

IDEAL HOUSE!:furious: Our ID will be primarily Max. Cant wait to see the design drawings this week!!

Long time no update liaos. Was busy preparing for my exams and finally finished the exams...now got to rush assignments... !!

Anyway, we have been RECTIFYING the defects for probably like more than 1 month already? The remaining are the minor defects which I think they really cannot make it. To request for more will just delay my start reno time and I need to complete my reno before my next exam starts. With that, I should be able to get the HDB out of my place next week and get my keys back.

We went to shop around and get more ideas and also quotations today. Main target - Aircons. I have been reading through this thread - http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=9682&hl= to get more ideas and information about the shops/contractors that do aircon and I am really grateful for the wealth of information available here at renotalk.

We have more or less settle on the brand of aircon, Mitsubishi Electric Starmex Easy Clean Non invertor System 3.

Two Shops we went and plus the Gaincity we went last week reveals the following results.

Gaincity - $2159 w/GST

- 1 visit only

- Armaflex insulation

- Didnt ask much liaos

Best Tech - $1915 w/GST

- 2 visits

- K Flex Class 0 insulation 3/8" (http://www.k-flex.com/products.asp?p=5&pp=2)

- 13mm Drain pipe w/o insulation

- Gauge 23 copper tube

- R22 refrigerant - No R410A for non invertor??? Thats very strange.

- 3 years installation warranty

- Salesperson was relatively ok. Not very pushy but pushy on type of insulation. Keeps claiming that K flex is imported from Italy and that the temperature range is better than that of Totaline cos its -200 °C max +116 °C rather than from only -70 °C onwards. However, after my question of why the need for -200°C when the R22 will not go to that temperature, he got nothing to say. He also keeps emphasising the fact that it is FM approved, which does not matter to me. I am more comfortable with Totaline PSB certification since its local and our silly standards are up there.

All Best - $1888 w/GST

- 2 visits

- Totaline Class 1 insulation 3/8" (Totaline is a carrier sub brand, if I am not wrong)

- Gauge 24 copper tube. Upgrade to Gauge 23 + $75

- 16mm drain pipe

- 5 years installation warranty

- $120 servicing voucher

- Salesperson was an auntie. Think she is not very sure of what she is trying to sell. MORE SUITED TO SERVE AUNTIES than young energtic idiots like me. Claims I know nuts about copper and I cant differentiate between them. Keeps getting the insulation class wrong, one moment class 1, the next moment it became class 0. I dun think I am that old to forget what was said one second ago. Not interested in explaining more details and just keeps pushing more sale to close.

- Decided to come again to look for another salesperson to talk. Someone that probably look smart.