Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ckoonyin

When Should We Buy Eletrical Applicances?

My view is not to start buying anything first till reno is about midway....like what everyone says...prices will drop esp when new models are out...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i bought only the necessary.. like fridge and washing machine. after my reno started.. the rest.. i move in already then buy.. lol

Dont forget u might need to use those cash for unforseen addition renovation instead of spending on electrical staffs...as wat others said, prices will drop further...especially LCD..

Yup, i do agree with Phantom and the rest. :bleah:

Most importantly is the appliances' dimensions and weight that have to be factored in also.

For eg. for homeowners who intend to do washing machine base, of course the tiler needs to know the appliances estimated size first. Likewise for the fridge.

If intending to have built-in appliances such as ovens, dishwashers, wine coolers, freezer drawers, etc., it is critical that such appliances and the carpentry materials used are suitable & durable for built-in capacity. And should an oven be placed on a suspended wall cabinet, what is it's gross weight? Can the carpentry take its weight in the long run?

!!

Yup, i do agree with Phantom and the rest. !!

Most importantly is the appliances' dimensions and weight that have to be factored in also.

For eg. for homeowners who intend to do washing machine base, of course the tiler needs to know the appliances estimated size first. Likewise for the fridge.

If intending to have built-in appliances such as ovens, dishwashers, wine coolers, freezer drawers, etc., it is critical that such appliances and the carpentry materials used are suitable & durable for built-in capacity. And should an oven be placed on a suspended wall cabinet, what is it's gross weight? Can the carpentry take its weight in the long run?

!!

This is so very important. If you know for sure you want to get a particular electrical appliance, the suggestion is to get it first. I.e. pay a deposit for it first, or even pay in full. Some retailers are only willing to store purchased products for maximum of 2 months. So you might want to check on the sales terms.

I had a close shave. 6 months ago, I shortlisted the combi microwave that I wanted. I asked the sales lady if I needed to pay a deposit for it, and she said there wasn't a need for it, because supply was high. I got all the dimensions and installation guides from her, and passed them on to my kitchen designer for his plans. And when I wanted to purchase the unit for actual installation, I was shocked that there wasn't a single piece left, other than the showroom display set. Apparently, some developers bought up all the sets for their respective showrooms!! I had no choice but to buy the showroom piece because that's the only model that can complement my existing oven.

thanks for all your input.

actually i saw a good deal for a washing machine which i paid a deposit for. I think the best choice for the budget concious

As for the others, prob i'll wait and buy everything @ 1 location and see if they can give me a better discount.

Good for you. I'd also add on and say, TV's today have fabulous discounts at the quarterly computer fairs every year.

Doesn't hurt to go down and take a look.

Good for you. I'd also add on and say, TV's today have fabulous discounts at the quarterly computer fairs every year.

Doesn't hurt to go down and take a look.

that's true........but sometimes @ computer fairs just like the last ones............i would say the pricing are not good at all............the promo ones are actuallyl dis-continued model.................. :)

Personal experience; bought a 40-inch Samsung R81 at more than $3K in Jun'07, think can siam the GST increase and save some money, but never expect my reno to screw up and only handover in Aug'07. A neighbour bought the same TV at $2K, delivered in almost the same period.

You are right that electrical goods' prices can only go down, not up. So there is no harm at all to buy it closer to your reno handover date, regardless of whatever sales, promotion, IT shows or whatever; trust me, you will never lose out.

hmm, i find this very strange. Why do u want to "locked" youself to this particular shop by placing the deposit? As we all know, electrical appliances prices sure drop one.

What if at the time you decided to purchase the appliances and the store knows that you have already lock youself to them. Will they give u the truly low price ? They can tell you that, this is my shop price, take it or leave it. What if at that time u look around and find elsewhere cheaper, are u able to get back your deposit ?

i see.............actually the main reason is because of the washing machine which i looked everywhere but the prices are still the cheapest.

At the same time, i can also opt out of the items i do not want and use the deposit to offset the price of the washing machine.

Worst case scenario is to use the deposit to buy small appliances.

And also this is a referral from the shop's corperate customer, so i guess it is alright.

But yes i agree with what you nice peeps have commented, cause if it was a unknown salesguy who told me, i will say it's crap.

Edited by ckoonyin

heehee managed to neg with the sales guy to hold the price for me with a deposit of $200.

If the prices go down, he will match it. Good deal :bangwall:

I think most people would see it as the sales guy managed to neg with YOU to put down a deposit of $200. You see, no matter what happens you will at least buy a small appliance from them; or in other words they already confirmed a sale of $200 minimum, rather than you leave you the option of running away. Good sales tactic, mann!

But whichever way, as long as you are comfortable with the shop, there's nothing with giving them your commitment lah; win-win situation mah. That's how a deal should be made, right? Happy buyer, happy seller!

hmmm......haha i guess that is another way of looking at things.

btw the washing machine which i was eyeing for was selling @ $620 after promo discount @ HN. At the place i just ask how much, he quoted me $590 straight away.

Fyi Robinson is having sales up to 70% by 27 Dec.

Maybe u can go and see see look look at the bed sheet since u had already confirm ur bed. :notti:

As for kitchen wares wait until ur hse warming maybe ur parents or parent-in-law will give it to u. Save $$$$ :notti:

And don touch on the sofa and other decor items until ur reno is almost done then decide what is suitable for ur theme. :D

I can understand the feeling of wanting to grab the cheapest deal where the hse havent even start reno yet. Me also make the same mistake last time. :notti: